Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merging of forums

Options
  • 21-02-2012 9:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I see our neighbours in Killkenny are proposing to merge the City and County forum to create a critical mass I believe, will the IMF or otherwise force us to do the same pending the outcome of the City and county council decisions here.
    There is also an issue in KK that the "county" name be kept in the new forum title.
    I suppose it makes sense as there is very little usage on the KK county forum, dare I say it is there a case to be made here?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Think the county forum for us is a bit busier but yeah, would think it makes sense. I intended waiting to see if Kilkenny got the go ahead before trying for the Waterford forum if the lads are in agreement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Us over in the WX forum only get one, why should you's get two eh?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd be fully behind it too. County forum gets little traffic so I couldn't see it making to much of a difference and I always thought that anything Tramore related would be better off here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ziedth wrote: »
    I'd be fully behind it too. County forum gets little traffic so I couldn't see it making to much of a difference and I always thought that anything Tramore related would be better off here.

Indeed. Its been asked before and it was refused though, but it seems the changeover in staff/admins/cmods means that there is a possibility.

The idea of two forums should, and I thought was, if there was a demand. There is hardly any demand for the County. The City is the busiest, so why not just merge over the traffic and discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Yeah I'd agree with a merger too, just call the new forum 'Wateford'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I was posting about say something in Passage East I'd probably start it here as it'll get seen. So using that logic merging the two makes sense, might see more from our country bumpkin cousins :)

"Deise Doings"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I'd prefer to keep them separate. No interest in 'agricultural' threads or East v West GAA threads appearing where the city threads used to be.

merlante wrote: »
    I'd prefer to keep them separate. No interest in 'agricultural' threads or East v West GAA threads appearing where the city threads used to be.

There never is.. We have a GAA forum for GAA related discussions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

merlante wrote: »

agricultural threads? do you think anyone outside the city is a farmer?:rolleyes:

Ledger wrote: »
    agricultural threads? do you think anyone outside the city is a farmer?:rolleyes:

Who know's what happens out in the dark wilderness where there are no street lights? God knows what people do in all that quiet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

I think this is a bad idea there is a difference in the " sense of place" between Waterford City and County that doesn't exist in the Kilkenny. The Waterford forums are much busier and by merging them you will be effectively just removing the county forum and diluting the City forum which will be bad for discussion.Also I believe it was quite a battle to get the City forum set up in the first place with a some hostility from certain individuals that seem to have a penchant for denouncing any type of investment for Waterford in the infrastructure forums.It's sad to see our posters doing the work of our "adversaries" on this issue.

I think this is a bad idea there is a difference in the " sense of place" between Waterford City and County that doesn't exist in the Kilkenny. The Waterford forums are much busier and by merging them you will be effectively just removing the county forum and diluting the City forum which will be bad for discussion.Also I believe it was quite a battle to get the City forum set up in the first place with a some hostility from certain individuals that seem to have a penchant for denouncing any type of investment for Waterford in the infrastructure forums.It's sad to see our posters doing the work of our "adversaries" on this issue.

The county forum is dead. Anytime we try move threads to it from here, it causes uproar (much like moderation in general).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

(much like over moderation in general)

Sully, let me tell you why I think people get pissed off. The majority of people on this forum think you're a decent guy and a decent mod. They also believe that, with the Waterford forum they have one of the most friendly and "community inspired" regional forums on boards. It's why some people feel the need to start non Waterford specific threads here...it's because they feel comfortable talking to the Waterford regulars. But you suck the community spirit out of it. You're robotic in your moderation style and some people probably think you should lighten up a bit and let some things slide...

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Sully wrote: »

The county forum is dead. Anytime we try move threads to it from here, it causes uproar (much like moderation in general).

I agree, Im living in Co. Waterford but I never find anything that interesting in the County section, I mostly use the city one, I think the merger would be good :-)

(much like over moderation in general)

Sully, let me tell you why I think people get pissed off. The majority of people on this forum think you're a decent guy and a decent mod. They also believe that, with the Waterford forum they have one of the most friendly and "community inspired" regional forums on boards. It's why some people feel the need to start non Waterford specific threads here...it's because they feel comfortable talking to the Waterford regulars. But you suck the community spirit out of it. You're robotic in your moderation style and some people probably think you should lighten up a bit and let some things slide...

That's a load of bull and your only stirring.

Plenty of those threads knocking about that are left be, so hardly. A long time before you came, we were asked to create a "General Chit Chat" thread exactly for that type of thing. When people posted non-Waterford specific stuff, a lot of people complained. A lot of people complained when we acted. Either way, we didn't win. There are a few threads that are random, AH style, that should not be here. But there left anyway and are still active.

We cant please everyone. No matter what we do, people complain. Not everybody is as vocal as you complaining on the forum, most use PM or Reported Post (as per Boards Guidelines).

The large majority of moderation, bar spam removal (which STILL draws complaints!), is done based on feedback, reported posts or how Boards works and how we are told to moderate. If you cant put up with it, move on. Other sites who have had a relaxed free for all approach have closed down. The Waterford Forum remains.

A lot of stuff we do is as we are told, but people (like you) complain. Iv explained this to you before, but you insist on being an ass and complaining anyway. It would appear that there is no pleasing you.

As always, anything I or any of the mods do can be appealed. If you think I am over modding, make a complaint to ziedth, Aquos76 or takola. If you are not happy, go to the CMods (who watch the forum anyway and have acted on reported posts from this week already without being called).

But for the love of god, stop ****ing complaining if you wont do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think we should keep the two forums. Just to emphasise that we're an actual city :p

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

The most obvious thing to do is to go by the easy to follow sign posts on the city bypass: waterford north, south, east, west, head, shoulders, knees and toes....knees and toes

EDIT: actually don't want to go here again.

We'll agree to disagree Sully :)

Btw. My phone autocompleted your name to Silly. Not once, but 3 times. The fact that I went and changed it to sully each time must mean something...

Sully, you're the very man that had a hissy fit last year when I was pming you about issues. I was trying to solve things behind closed doors.

The fact is, you're on one massive power trip as a boards mod, and you instantly hate anyone who dares to challenge you. It's only a forum...a virtually gathering of people who like to talk about Waterford and its associated issues. In the most part it really doesn't need a referee...but like all people who crave power...they need their authority to be seen...

I much prefer it when, as people do, contact me with Feedback and suggestions. I instantly hate people who are out to cause trouble, constantly making digs and regularly having pop shots without being constructive in any shape or form. Time wasters.

If you consider locking a few threads for very valid reasons a massive power trip, than I guess there wont be any pleasing you and we will have to agree to disagree. You obviously know more about the day to day issues of the moderators than myself, so perhaps you might suggest to the admins that we don't need three moderators and two CMods. Not everything is visible to the public.

We have a lot of PMs (I can see them all). A few of which are problems you had that you wanted me to look into, which I did. The other groups were your concerns about how boards, and me, treated businesses who sign up and post about their business. I think I gave you an honest answer and pointed you in the direction of a place you might be able to make a change. That was the only attempt at raising issues and trying to sort it out.

Ah damn. You replied while I was not so ninja editing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Ah damn. You replied while I was not so ninja editing.

Just for transparency sake, the moderation on this thread comes from me, not Sully. I've infracted Sully's post because of his offensive language and name calling.

Abouttobebanned, I notice you're quick to back down when your digs are met with valid remarks on the moderation. I'm not sure if that's because you can't back up your complaints or not.

Sully, quite rightly, realised that you had an issue with him personally some time ago, and decided it would be best not to moderate you himself. I've stepped in since then, and for the most point I've ignored your constant digs and complaining because overall, you're a good poster.

However, at this point being a good poster isn't enough incentive to ignore what is fast becoming harrassment of a mod (as I see it, anyway). If you have a problem with the moderation of the forum, take it up with the CMod's. You can find them at the bottom of the forum. If there are any more complaints or digs made within the forum, I will issue a ban. Enough is enough at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Jeysus this is like watching a bad episode of fair city.
    Cue Bella Doyle with a disapproving disappointed look in his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

I would prefer to leave the status quo as is, otherwise you risk diluting and possibly diminishing what is a perfectly fine forum.

As the old saying goes - "If it ain't broke - Don't fix it"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭decies

As I said at the end of last year would like to see the humour threads continued we have seen a bit too much lads feeling the pressure of one thing or another in these troubled times. I was allowed to be abused on one forum because of one team I support lol,wouldn't want to go down that road but let's get the famous Waterford humour going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

This is a tough one to call alright. I'm not sure what benefit a merger would be to this forum. On the other hand, I'm not sure what harm a merger would do either.

I think I'd be inclined to err on the side of caution and leave things as they are.

takola wrote: »
    Just for transparency sake, the moderation on this thread comes from me, not Sully. I've infracted Sully's post because of his offensive language and name calling.

Abouttobebanned, I notice you're quick to back down when your digs are met with valid remarks on the moderation. I'm not sure if that's because you can't back up your complaints or not.

Sully, quite rightly, realised that you had an issue with him personally some time ago, and decided it would be best not to moderate you himself. I've stepped in since then, and for the most point I've ignored your constant digs and complaining because overall, you're a good poster.

However, at this point being a good poster isn't enough incentive to ignore what is fast becoming harrassment of a mod (as I see it, anyway). If you have a problem with the moderation of the forum, take it up with the CMod's. You can find them at the bottom of the forum. If there are any more complaints or digs made within the forum, I will issue a ban. Enough is enough at this point.

Just to clarify, I hadnt even read his reply after I "backed down" as you call it. I just didn't want to get into another slagging match on a public forum.

AdMMM wrote: »
    I think we should keep the two forums. Just to emphasise that we're an actual city :p

Aside from that... which provides an educational role for some on boards (although nothing sounds more rural than the phrase "we're a city"), there is another point.

If there is no discussion on the Co. Waterford board, then why scrap the city one. If you take city out of the title you inevitably change the focus of the board from an urban to a county focus. If the city board is going well, why change it? In fairness, what's wrong with just leaving things the way they are?

And anyway, the Wexford board, with a population of 120K or so, has 12,603 posts, whilst the Waterford County board with a population of 60K has 7,381 posts. Seems to me that the County board is doing no worse than other counties. In the case of Kilkenny, the county board is literally dead, because everyone is posting on the city board, but the County Waterford board, with the same population, has 10 times the traffic.

Why not just leave it be?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Merge them. A lot of people live in the county and work in the city and some the other way. Most people in the city visit the county, Tramore, Dungarvan etc.
    Most topics are relevent and of interest to both city and county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I'd leave them be. Not being nasty but I actually have no interest what is happening in the county most of the time. I take Sully's point about the County Forum being dead but I do think the City forum would be diluted if merged. Broadband in Dungarvan or whatever would probably get overlooked in the City forum too for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

id leave them, a lot of the posts in the county section are county interest mostly, dungarvan, ardmore etc. The traffic on city section is exntesive enough. In fact, i just checked there and there is more people viewing county section (4) than viewing KK city (3), somethign like 47 on Waterford city boards

Advertisement