Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merging of forums

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

What does an infraction mean? Does it mean Sully is banned?

The lunatics will take over the asylum!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

If its not broken don't fix it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

What does an infraction mean? Does it mean Sully is banned?

The lunatics will take over the asylum!

Cant get rid of me that easily :p Its basically an official warning on my Boards Account. You build up 10 over a short period and your sitebanned automatically. Otherwise its just record keeping and can be used by mods later if an issue persists. :)
    Nypd wrote: »
    If its not broken don't fix it :)

Surprised at the mixed reaction so far. I thought more people would be in favour of having it merged, so that county topics would be replied to and/or discussion increased. Its fairly quiet in there and a lot of people tend to just post in the City forum to get answers/discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Seeing as I started it may as well voice my opinion,One forum is the most sensible approach, a one stop shop for everything Waterford,the City County divide is a negative thing in reality and virtually.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Looking at topics on County it is better they are seperated they have zero relevance to city.
    Important city topics or county for that matter may be lost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

merlante wrote: »
    I'd prefer to keep them separate. No interest in 'agricultural' threads or East v West GAA threads appearing where the city threads used to be.

Ledger wrote: »
    agricultural threads? do you think anyone outside the city is a farmer?:rolleyes:

Hey! us farmers are people too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Nypd wrote: »
    Looking at topics on County it is better they are seperated they have zero relevance to city.
    Important city topics or county for that matter may be lost.

Yeah, I mean:
    - any tractor drivers here ? help
    - Moving to Dungarvan - Where to rent???
    - Annestown, where's the pub?
    - Anyone eaten in the Bride View Bar in Tallow recently?

What relevance do these topics have to the city? Why not throw Kilkenny and Carlow in while you're at it? (Or do we have to play by old English/GAA boundaries?)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yeah, I mean:
    - any tractor drivers here ? help
    - Moving to Dungarvan - Where to rent???
    - Annestown, where's the pub?
    - Anyone eaten in the Bride View Bar in Tallow recently?

What relevance do these topics have to the city? Why not throw Kilkenny and Carlow in while you're at it? (Or do we have to play by old English/GAA boundaries?)

The forum wouldn't be about the City. It would cover City and County in one place, because demand didn't appear to be there for separate forums and some people wanted to post here anyway and didn't like them being moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Who says the country people would want to post here anyway? It can get a bit aggro, abusive posters getting infractions and the like.

Leave it be I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Copying Kilkenny again......

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGBlGYN4iuhDdkvKHJKqjBT1WaOpjJ86mCY0LNmSOco7Jql8zhPQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Hey are we not all from Waterford????
    What's the big deal. Merge em as one I say

Sully wrote: »
    The forum wouldn't be about the City. It would cover City and County in one place, because demand didn't appear to be there for separate forums and some people wanted to post here anyway and didn't like them being moved.

That's the problem, the city crowd don't want to talk about tractors. What city board threads most made you think there was demand to talk about tractors? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

cococoady wrote: »
    Hey are we not all from Waterford????
    What's the big deal. Merge em as one I say

Save that for the GAA.In reality City and County are different places and represent the typical urban/rura lor town and country divide.The forums should not be merged for this reason.If people compalin about their threads being moved it should be explained that there is a less chance of a response in a meged forum because it will be quickly pushed along the queue by the more active city users.

The county forum is dead. Anytime we try move threads to it from here, it causes uproar (much like moderation in general).

If the county forum is then dead close that,A merged forum won't do anything for traffic on county issues as they will be pushed down the queue quicker.You;re just emasculating the name of the city forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

That's a load of bull and your only stirring.

Plenty of those threads knocking about that are left be, so hardly. A long time before you came, we were asked to create a "General Chit Chat" thread exactly for that type of thing. When people posted non-Waterford specific stuff, a lot of people complained. A lot of people complained when we acted. Either way, we didn't win. There are a few threads that are random, AH style, that should not be here. But there left anyway and are still active.

We cant please everyone. No matter what we do, people complain. Not everybody is as vocal as you complaining on the forum, most use PM or Reported Post (as per Boards Guidelines).

The large majority of moderation, bar spam removal (which STILL draws complaints!), is done based on feedback, reported posts or how Boards works and how we are told to moderate. If you cant put up with it, move on. Other sites who have had a relaxed free for all approach have closed down. The Waterford Forum remains.

A lot of stuff we do is as we are told, but people (like you) complain. Iv explained this to you before, but you insist on being an ass and complaining anyway. It would appear that there is no pleasing you.

As always, anything I or any of the mods do can be appealed. If you think I am over modding, make a complaint to ziedth, Aquos76 or takola. If you are not happy, go to the CMods (who watch the forum anyway and have acted on reported posts from this week already without being called).

But for the love of god, stop ****ing complaining if you wont do anything about it.

Sully thats a very well put reply fair play. Some folks are only complaining just so they have something to complain about and they just seemed to jump on the mini boards revolution bandwagon that no one really cares about, If some one decides to cancel their account thats their own choice sure arent we all free people we can do as we please :) oh and for what its worth i think merging the Waterford forums is a good a idea they are after all about Waterford so it makes sense to have just one forum.

S28382 wrote: »
    Sully thats a very well put reply fair play. Some folks are only complaining just so they have something to complain about and they just seemed to jump on the mini boards revolution bandwagon that no one really cares about, If some one decides to cancel their account thats their own choice sure arent we all free people we can do as we please :) oh and for what its worth i think merging the Waterford forums is a good a idea they are after all about Waterford so it makes sense to have just one forum.

Only nominally are they all about Waterford.The majority of the county posts have little or no interest relevance to the City forum if they did the county forum would have more traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

If Galway and Cork retain seperate City boards then we shouldn't dilute our city board.

Only nominally are they all about Waterford.The majority of the county posts have little or no interest relevance to the City forum if they did the county forum would have more traffic.

Maybe so but what harm would it be doing if they were merged??

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

I wouldn't be in favour of the merger. It is a tough one considering most Eastern parts of the county e.g. Tramore, Dunmore would have more relevance to the city forum than say Dungarvan or Tallow.

Maybe as a solution split the forum on East and West Waterford relevance.

S28382 wrote: »
    Maybe so but what harm would it be doing if they were merged??

What harm would it do to leave it as it is?

• Advertisement

What harm would it do to leave it as it is?

None at all, but sometimes things can be good when changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Odats wrote: »

Maybe as a solution split the forum on East and West Waterford relevance.

A very good idea, which would solve my problem as I live outside the City but am interested in what goes on there And the environs, Tramore is a dorm of the City there are obvious connections that are severed by the present set up. Let alone the other villages, and all in between.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I think a poll is in order chaps.

batm!ke wrote: »

Thats a great idea...i want to vote :)

batm!ke wrote: »

I'm not so sure because there are things to consider. Mischief making from posters who seem to regularly visit the forum to troll would be allowed vote reulting in an inaccurate result.Internet polls are notoriously unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Ok then how about a Sean Sherlock style vote, where a poll is taken and those in charge just do what they want anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If the Limerick ones could merge, i can't see why the Waterford ones can't. Might make a more unified Waterford anyway.

Okay, the more I think about this idea, the more ridiculous it seems.

Why merge Waterford County and City? Would you not be better merging rural areas with rural areas? Waterford city discussion is of relevance to people in south Kilkenny to a *far* greater extent than to people in Lismore. People in the west of the county freely admit that given a choice of where to shop, they often choose Cork over Waterford because it's the same difference. Waterford city discussion is probably of more interest to people living in New Ross than it is to people living in Dungarvan. Looking page 4 of the defunct Newgate plan, the City board, as it currently stands, mainly applies to people in the light blue boundary and to a lesser extent the red boundary, and okay, there Co. Waterford people are also interested in what is going on in the city, but you know what I mean.

The only reason this is even being suggested is because the word 'Waterford' is in the name of both and because of GAA loyalties.

This argument is also related to the ridiculous proposition to merge Waterford city and county councils. Co. Waterford would be better off merged with South Tipp. and the city area expanded to the 75K or so people in the light blue boundary. But given that "big phil" is in the driving seat, I won't even inhale let alone hold my breath (... well, usual shallow inhalations). It's the GAA county and parish boundaries that are killing this country, and the south east, with it's plethora of counties, is being killed quicker than elsewhere.

The only reason this is even being suggested is because the word 'Waterford' is in the name of both and because of GAA loyalties.

It's the GAA county and parish boundaries that are killing this country, and the south east, with it's plethora of counties, is being killed quicker than elsewhere.

The last part of this post is fair stupid i mean in all fairness how the hell is the GAA county and parish boundaries killing the country???? and what has GAA loyalties got to do with it????? i think a little somebody might be anti GAA ......my god what a load of crap, some people want the forums merged to keep a single Waterford forum sure there is no conspiracy in that.....next you'll be saying the GAA brought down the twin towers.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The threads on the county forum are of no interest to me.

Keep the city and county forums seperate for now.

Advertisement