Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merging of forums

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

S28382 wrote: »
    The last part of this post is fair stupid i mean in all fairness how the hell is the GAA county and parish boundaries killing the country???? and what has GAA loyalties got to do with it????? i think a little somebody might be anti GAA ......my god what a load of crap, some people want the forums merged to keep a single Waterford forum sure there is no conspiracy in that.....next you'll be saying the GAA brought down the twin towers.:confused:

He just gave you good reason.People in South KK have more in common with the city than most of the county does. The lack of understanding betrays your own ignorance.The GAA has effectively sanctified the counties and made it impossible to create an effective form of local government, Commented on by the most prominet historians, economists and planners in the state.The idea of merging the two forums is a mirror of this.It would make more sense to merge the Carlow and Kilkenny forum as they have more in common socially than Waterford City and County. This is the point merlante has made.The City and County are only one unit as far as the GAA goes. Otherwise they are as different as Waterford City and Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

He just gave you good reason.People in South KK have more in common with the city than most of the county does. The lack of understanding betrays your own ignorance.The GAA has effectively sanctified the counties and made it impossible to create an effective form of local government, Commented on by the most prominet historians, economists and planners in the state.The idea of merging the two forums is a mirror of this.It would make more sense to merge the Carlow and Kilkenny forum as they have more in common socially than Waterford City and County. This is the point merlante has made.The City and County are only one unit as far as the GAA goes. Otherwise they are as different as Waterford City and Kilkenny.

Jesus its about merging a forum about Waterford not the GAA or the local government i think people are losing the run of themselves about this proposed merger, fair enough i can see the pros and cons of doing such a thing but to go on about how the GAA has something to play in it and it being a bad thing is about the most ridiculous thing iv seen on boards yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

This has provided me with some brilliant reading during my class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I never really saw the point of having different forums for the county and the city. I for one would be up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Jesus its about merging a forum about Waterford not the GAA or the local government i think people are losing the run of themselves about this proposed merger, fair enough i can see the pros and cons of doing such a thing but to go on about how the GAA has something to play in it and it being a bad thing is about the most ridiculous thing iv seen on boards yet.

If it's not about the GAA or local government then why are you suggesting merging the city with County Waterford rather than County Kilkenny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Anyone would think we were talking about merging all the counties of the province, not the perfectly reasonable city/county merger. All those poor little xenophobic city people who are not interested in the county and therefore don't want to be merged, well god love you, maybe you should broaden your horizons a bit!

The funniest argument is somewhere near the start of the thread though:

'The county doesn't get any traffic...if it is merged with the city we will be swamped by county stuff'. Right.

+1 for merger - same as I voted last time the subject was raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

merlante wrote: »

If it's not about the GAA or local government then why are you suggesting merging the city with County Waterford rather than County Kilkenny?

First off I didn't suggest merging the forums I merely agreed with the idea and this is about Waterford city and county and the last time I checked there was no county border separating the two, Kilkenny has nothing to do with Waterford nor does any other county hence the reason it's called the Waterford forum, whether it's city or county it's still all Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

MERGE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Just proves to me that 90% of Waterford city folk may aswell be walking of the edge of the earth as to be going past the wilderness beyond the Whitfield clinic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Can we just have a poll? I know there will be gowlers spoiling their vote, and the results don't have to decide the issue, but it would give somewhat of an indication which way people are leaning on it? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sure if there's a poll, and let the mods go through who votes. They'll surely have a good idea of regular posters in either forum, and be able to ignore the rest.

Or maybe Sully could just go ahead and do what he's going to do. Honestly, why bother with the charade? As far as I can see, it's split 50/50, more or less. If you keep things the way they are, nobody gets upset, if you make the change, some people are going to be upset. Seems like a no brainer just to leave it the way it is. The fact that the whole thing hasn't been dropped by now tells me that one or more mods have some irrational need to merge and are going to do it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

The City and County are only one unit as far as the GAA goes. Otherwise they are as different as Waterford City and Kilkenny.
    Waterford is not just the city and then some rural bogger hinterland with nothing in common with it.

We have the Waterford accent, we share our love for Waterford things like blaas, most of us in the county would've been born in the city, maybe also raised in the city. We all have relatives in both the city and county. County people work in the City, City people work in the county, and we share each other's amenities, festivals, business etc.

Point being, Waterford City and County are intertwined so this GAA argument is rubbish, as is the comparison with the merger of City and County Councils which has nothing to do with merging two internet forums.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Or maybe Sully could just go ahead and do what he's going to do. Honestly, why bother with the charade? As far as I can see, it's split 50/50, more or less. If you keep things the way they are, nobody gets upset, if you make the change, some people are going to be upset. Seems like a no brainer just to leave it the way it is. The fact that the whole thing hasn't been dropped by now tells me that one or more mods have some irrational need to merge and are going to do it anyway.

Your a funny guy merlante. :)

The mods haven't even discussed this. I made a passing comment because I was talking to the CMods & Kilkenny mods about them merging (something that has been in the pipeline for a longtime). I thought that maybe there would be a big interest in doing it here, if (and its a big if), we decided to proceed with a proper discussion and poll. It was a passing comment and I didn't intend there to be a big discussion with people getting their fact book out and talking as if a merger would be a massive deal to the City & County.

What next? Nothing. There isn't a discussion on this and wont be for sometime I would imagine. If there is, I have no idea what we will decide to do. Its not our call anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

1st world problems eh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Personally i really like the idea of east and west. i do think there are things going on in Tramore that eould make an interesting thread here.

For example, didn't somebody shoot two seals out there? Surely worthy of a thread that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

ziedth wrote: »
    Personally i really like the idea of east and west. i do think there are things going on in Tramore that eould make an interesting thread here.

For example, didn't somebody shoot two seals out there? Surely worthy of a thread that is.

I completely agree, if there was an east and west, threads for areas such as Tallow/Ballyduff/Lismore would continue getting the attention it does already in the county thread.

Whereas areas such as Tramore/Dunmore/Kilmac etc would get the attention of those who may be living in the areas but working in the city, or vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Ledger wrote: »
    I completely agree, if there was an east and west, threads for areas such as Tallow/Ballyduff/Lismore would continue getting the attention it does already in the county thread.

Whereas areas such as Tramore/Dunmore/Kilmac etc would get the attention of those who may be living in the areas but working in the city, or vice versa.

Seems like a decent compromise. So there would be a Waterford East Forum and Waterford West Forum replacing the City/ County Forums currently here?

Would there be a description underneath the title specifying which areas are covered by which forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm only guessing but my guess is we'd never be allowed have east and west as the fourm names. AFAIK its city/county all over boards.

i'd suggest just allowing talk of the area within say 6/7 miles of the city limits. Then you'd have Tramore,Kilmedan and parts of south Kilkenny.

I don't know would that be allowed either though.

I'm only guessing but my guess is we'd never be allowed have east and west as the fourm names. AFAIK its city/county all over boards.

i'd suggest just allowing talk of the area within say 6/7 miles of the city limits. Then you'd have Tramore,Kilmedan and parts of south Kilkenny.

Finally a suggestion that makes sense.

• Advertisement

Thats fine if you are aware of the geography of the area, if they did something similar in, say, Louth, and you wanted to post a question over there, would you have any idea of which section to post in?

looksee wrote: »
    Thats fine if you are aware of the geography of the area, if they did something similar in, say, Louth, and you wanted to post a question over there, would you have any idea of which section to post in?

Well, if it was for the city and the 6/8 miles environs, it could be called 'Waterford city' (for short) and the rest of the county minus that part of the county taken in by the city and the environs, like Tramore, etc., could be called 'Waterford County' (for short) and that way, people would be able to have a decent stab at the right board even if they weren't 100% on the geography. So whilst the names of the boards would be 'technically' exactly the same, we'll all know the real geographic, spiritual, sporting, historical, political and cultural intricacies and subtle boundaries between them. Problem solved...

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

1st world problems eh

You remember the hassle I used to get on up the deise as a mod, we weren't half as strict as the mods on here, possibly why we had to shut the place down. Half the time you'd be afraid to post on here though!

you weren't a bad egg though dude, unlike the 3 amigos we had hassle with. We even put up with seanybiker too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

wellboy76 wrote: »
    1st world problems eh

You remember the hassle I used to get on up the deise as a mod, we weren't half as strict as the mods on here, possibly why we had to shut the place down. Half the time you'd be afraid to post on here though!

you weren't a bad egg though dude, unlike the 3 amigos we had hassle with. We even put up with seanybiker too!

As a mod of up the Deise and as a three amigo I have to agree :):)
    Good times though!!

However on this merger discussion, I am absolutely appalled at how little the City people think of County! It's like you just don't want to know anything outside of the city!!
    I must say its pretty annoying for me to go into the county thread being from west Waterford and seeing it filled with Tramore/Portlaw stuff!!! BUT I read it as I read the Waterford City forum because it's all things Waterford!!

Merging might put a bit of cultural knowledge on some folk! And not before time it looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Nearly half the population of Waterford lives in the City area. So it is good to have two forums to represent both areas equally. otherwise threads about the county will be short lived as they will get pushed further down rather quickly by City threads.

Case in point, there are threads only a few days old on the main page of the City forum, whereas the oldest thread on the main page of the County forum is a month old

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I think this is a great idea. I'm from south kilkenny and post most frequently in the waterford forum. Setting aside petty GAA rivalry it is the closest urban area to me and I'm far more interested in the issues effecting waterford city than kilkenny city (town... Whatever)

I would like to be able to raise topics about south kilkenny (as I have in the past) and I'm sure so would others.

On the note of strict moderation I don't believe anyone has relocated any posts i've made about slieverue / ferrybank to the kilkenny county forum so there obviously is some leeway here.

She Devil wrote: »
    However on this merger discussion, I am absolutely appalled at how little the City people think of County! It's like you just don't want to know anything outside of the city!!
    I must say its pretty annoying for me to go into the county thread being from west Waterford and seeing it filled with Tramore/Portlaw stuff!!! BUT I read it as I read the Waterford City forum because it's all things Waterford!!

Merging might put a bit of cultural knowledge on some folk! And not before time it looks!

Speaking just for myself, I like county Waterford and would have a hurling allegiance to the county BUT I really dislike the county system in Ireland. It causes nothing but infighting. Cork is a large county with 500K people who agree on a large range of issues. The south east has a similar size and population, but because it's split up into 5 counties, there is perennial whinging about hospitals and jobs and status, etc. Counties are just one more arbitrary reason for Irish people to be at one other's throats, and because the country has very different county sizes, the more counties in a region, the poorer the more disadvantaged a region tends to become over time because of infighting (with the exception of the east, which benefitted from the spillover of investment in Dublin).

To me, a city is something different that deserves to be treated differently than counties. They have their own traditions and urban culture and have a different set of concerns to rural areas.

Speaking just for myself, I like county Waterford and would have a hurling allegiance to the county BUT I really dislike the county system in Ireland. It causes nothing but infighting. Cork is a large county with 500K people who agree on a large range of issues. The south east has a similar size and population, but because it's split up into 5 counties, there is perennial whinging about hospitals and jobs and status, etc. Counties are just one more arbitrary reason for Irish people to be at one other's throats, and because the country has very different county sizes, the more counties in a region, the poorer the more disadvantaged a region tends to become over time because of infighting (with the exception of the east, which benefitted from the spillover of investment in Dublin).

To me, a city is something different that deserves to be treated differently than counties. They have their own traditions and urban culture and have a different set of concerns to rural areas.

:confused: So what are you suggesting? That all the county areas in a province should have one forum, to avoid infighting, but that the individual cities should have their own forums?

looksee wrote: »
    :confused: So what are you suggesting? That all the county areas in a province should have one forum, to avoid infighting, but that the individual cities should have their own forums?

Why not? That is the way it is now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement