Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ'ing steak

Options
  • 21-02-2012 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not a question as such but a contribution :o to this great forum.

I BBQ steak about once a fortnight (even in the winter). We have a gas BBQ outside the back door which is very handy. Anyway, for an average to good sized steak, I put the BBQ on for about 15 minutes to warm up. I then put the steaks on for 6 mins on one side and 4 mins on the other side (or 7 & 3 if I want an extra crispy one) and they are cooked medium medium/rare every time with a nice crust. I don't put the steaks directly over the flame as they can burn. The ALDI fillets for 8.99 are superb.

Loire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you want something a little different, try marinating your steaks in teriyaki marinade (the watery one, not sauce) for 24 hours in a ziplock (or similar) bag before you BBQ them.

you'l need to throw out the leftover marinade though once you've removed the steaks, it's pretty salty and the meat itself will be perfect without using the leftovers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you want something a little different, try marinating your steaks in teriyaki marinade (the watery one, not sauce) for 24 hours in a ziplock (or similar) bag before you BBQ them.

you'l need to throw out the leftover marinade though once you've removed the steaks, it's pretty salty and the meat itself will be perfect without using the leftovers as well.

Thanks, I must try that

• Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

vibe666 wrote: »
    if you want something a little different, try marinating your steaks in teriyaki marinade (the watery one, not sauce)

Teriyaki is soy sauce and sake (rice white).
    So you could also i've used are Soy and a light vinegar (good quality vinegar) to get a similar effect.

Or Soy and pineapple juice (has an enzyme that tenderises the meat) is good too

Mellor wrote: »
    Teriyaki is soy sauce and sake (rice white).
    So you could also i've used are Soy and a light vinegar (good quality vinegar) to get a similar effect.

Or Soy and pineapple juice (has an enzyme that tenderises the meat) is good too
    i actually didn't know that, it's good to know thanks. :)

i usually get kikkoman teriyaki marinade in my local supermarkets, so it should be easy enough to find if you shop around.

also, the longer you leave it to marinade the better.

we went camping last year and i left some marinading for the trip before we left, but we didn't end up having them until two nights later and they were awesome! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

i actually BBQ pineapple slices quite a bit on the BBQ as a dessert and have it with a bit of greek yoghurt after the main meal and it's lovely. you just need to do it on a low heat, which is ideal on a charcoal BBQ as it will happen at the end when the embers are dying down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loadsofham

A fantastic and simple marinade for BBQ steaks is a Thai one I use (also great for grilling steaks in the oven )

1 tbs light soy
    1 tbs oyster sauce
    1 tbs fish sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp ground pepper( white pepper works really well)
    Crushed garlic – all depends on how much you like 3 – 6 cloves

And that’s it, sometimes I add a table spoon of rice wine, half a teaspoon of ground coriander and a small chili and then use it to marinade chickens thighs for the BBQ.

Everyone I have ever given a steak done this way as asked me for the recipe, I have even had my neighbor stick his head over the wall to ask me what I am cooking because it smells divine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

loadsofham wrote: »
    A fantastic and simple marinade for BBQ steaks is a Thai one I use (also great for grilling steaks in the oven )

1 tbs light soy
    1 tbs oyster sauce
    1 tbs fish sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp ground pepper( white pepper works really well)
    Crushed garlic – all depends on how much you like 3 – 6 cloves

And that’s it, sometimes I add a table spoon of rice wine, half a teaspoon of ground coriander and a small chili and then use it to marinade chickens thighs for the BBQ.

Everyone I have ever given a steak done this way as asked me for the recipe, I have even had my neighbor stick his head over the wall to ask me what I am cooking because it smells divine

wow..that sounds fantastic. Defo try that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loadsofham

You wont be disappointed :) works a treat with Striploins

forgot to say that you only need to marinade for a couple of hours, it will give the steak so much depth of flavor. same goes for the chicken couple of hours is plenty but the chicken really needs the extra ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

For me, the only thing that goes on a steak is olive oil. :)

I put the BBQ up to full heat, apply oil to both sides of the steak with a brush, and put them on the BBQ for 4-5 minutes per side. The thicker the steak, the better, ideal with striploin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,415 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You aren't BBQ'ing the pineapple juice. THe enzymes tenderise the steak, then you remove it from the juice and shake off the excess, or even pat dry.

Grill/Fry as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

espresso chilli rub rib eye

2 tbs cumin seeds, toasted
    2 tbs of dark roast coffee beans
    1tbs ground ancho chilli
    1 tsp sweet paprika
    1 tsp salt
    1 tst pepper

grind cumin and coffee together
    combine the rest of the rub
    lightly oil steaks and apply rub