Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Miss Movie Games...

Options
  • 21-02-2012 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭

Not games about movies but the actual full motion video games.

Like Wing Commander 3,4,5. Phantasmagoria 1 + 2

OK most were quite cheesy and bad acting (phantasmagoria 2 had boobs in it which made up for bad acting and game play) but still.. everything is cgi now...

I suppose the production costs of using real actors, cameras, sets makes it hugely expensive. Shame though.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Tanya in Red Alert 2 :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Colony Wars on the PS1, does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I loved playing Black Dhalia back in the day. F*cking hard game tho!

scaled.php?server=233&filename=blackdahliacajareversoss2.jpg&res=medium

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i loved the videos in red alert 1 when i was younger. they were prety damn basic but they gave you a sense that you were taking part in a larger story rather than just doing mission after mission

also the blonde chick from ra2... mein gott

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I loved Realms of the Haunting. Anyone remember that one?

Awesome game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

i loved the videos in red alert 1 when i was younger. they were prety damn basic but they gave you a sense that you were taking part in a larger story rather than just doing mission after mission

also the blonde chick from ra2... mein gott

They were also good with Tib Sun. Hell, they even had James Earl Jones acting for the GDI. They had a few other big name actors, but JEJ is the only one I remember.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

sarumite wrote: »
    They were also good with Tib Sun. Hell, they even had James Earl Jones acting for the GDI. They had a few other big name actors, but JEJ is the only one I remember.

Michael Biehn was in them too(terminator,aliens).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The FMVs in Red Alert 1 are by far the best in the Franchise:

"THIS WAS NOT TO HAPPEN - the Chronosphere was to be OURS!...YOU General, are to blame!"

Leading to

"You disappoint me Gredenko...*crackle*...."

EDIT: Or Kukov whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I recall the likes of Christopher Walken / Paul Giamatti etc in "Ripper", or,
    Christopher Walken / Clive Owen / John Hurt in "Privateer 2"...

I don't think I'd like to bring the FMV clips back though.

Wasn't one of Half Life's great features that the story was all in-game, with no FMV or cutscenes?

Then again, I suppose that in a way, your wish may come true as graphics get better, and we get more "LA Noire" situations...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Seventh Guest opening scared the **** out of me as a kid.

Hilarious seeing how naff it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I forgot about the greatest use of FMV in the history of games.... the Resident Evil 1 intro.

I remember watching this (and the early parts of the game) in Game in 1996 and being absolutely blown away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I forgot about the greatest use of FMV in the history of games.... the Resident Evil 1 intro

Nonsense, nonsense. This is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Red Alert, the original, had some stellar scenes, my favourite in the franchise by far, even though the ones in the later games are more grandiose.

My favourite ever:

Rebel Assault 2. Tons of live action, the first official Star Wars shot since Return of the Jedi.

If you've never played it, have a good look throughout the clip, some sections are almost the same quality of the original movies. The first couple of minutes past the opening scroll in particular are incredible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

An oldie but a goodie: The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Or if it's something new you want:

There's an interesting article in this month's gamesTM (who gave it 1/10) about the making of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ah the mega cd fmv games, remember seeing this on a vhs tape that came with mean machines sega and it blew my mind, now theres iphone games that look better

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I miss games :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Sledgejammer

Mr E wrote: »
    I loved Realms of the Haunting. Anyone remember that one?

Awesome game.

That game scared the **** out of me when I was younger, found it recently and it's just hilarious, I've no idea how I ever was scared by it!

Under A Killing Moon was far and away the best fmv heavy game imo, aside from the Command and Conquer games where they were only really a bonus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,624 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I miss Westwood Games; you could always guarantee they'd have a string of full-motion cutscenes to bookend their levels giving it a grander scale. Their production values weren't always high, but they tended to be pretty epic all the same. The ones from the Command and Conquer universe are the most well-known, but I have a soft spot for those they made for their RTS games set in the 'Dune' universe (interestingly, the visuals were all based off the famous David Lynch movie from the 80s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

I had forgotten some of those games!!! Rebel assault...

Agree on command and conquer.

I do hope we see some more fmv games, with Dvd and blu ray no more needing to swap disks....... Phantasmagoria was ridiculous ,,, like 6 disks or something. Wing commander something similar.... My heart broke when one of the disks got a scratch and I could never get past a certain point in the game anymore...... arghhhhhhh...

Some games had some good actors, Privateer the darkening, Clive owen. that lad from James bond movie... mmm name has gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Jedi Knight!

o1s1n wrote: »

Oh yeah... That was the first game that got me thinking about this "genre" of gaming.

I remember all the fuss about "nudity". This was the first game to need a rating lol it was so tame.

Annoying because you couldn;t follow story without having to switch cams all the time to capture the vamps.

Never completed it and it was thrown out many years ago...

In China and youtube blocked can't see any of the vids :((((((

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Nighttrap was infuriating. I remember staying up all night playing it at a friends (at the ripe age of 15) and we never made much progress. I seem to remember being preoccupied with the bathroom just in case one of the girls took a spontaneous shower!

Advertisement