Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a sinking goldfish food

Options
  • 21-02-2012 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a wee problem with Paul the Fish. I feed him every evening - 4 well soaked pellets of JBL pond fish sticks, and every morning he seems to have trouble with his swim bladder; standing on his head, floating near the top. I think the problem is with the floating food - that he's swallowing air. Can anyone recommend a good sinking pellet for goldies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

what makes you think him swallowing air is the problem?

If you hold the sticks in the water will they then slowly sink once wet so you can test out your theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

fungun wrote: »
    what makes you think him swallowing air is the problem?

If you hold the sticks in the water will they then slowly sink once wet so you can test out your theory?
    It's the only think I can think of. The pellets are soaked through, so I don't think there's compaction, and he's fine again in the afternoon, it just seems to be in the 12 hours following feeding that he has a problem.

The pellets are unfortunately unsinkable, I've tried holding them in my hand under water to see if he'll take them that way, but he won't come near me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

have you tried fasting him for a week and then feed shelled frozen peas to clear him out?

i have in the past fed my goldfish granules and certain catfish pellets and he was fine with it but not sure if this is necessarily the best advice, there are specific ones aimed at goldfish such as http://www.hikari.info/gold/g_05.html
    Never used it though so dunno.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I feed my monsters this Hikari stuff and they love it, no floaty problems ever.

Silverfish wrote: »
    I feed my monsters this Hikari stuff and they love it, no floaty problems ever.
    That looks like just the job. Cheers.

• Advertisement

For a bit of an experiment I dropped in a couple of soaked sinking algae pellets (usually reserved for the snail) for the fish, and this morning he was swimming around perfectly happily, no bouyancy problems at all. Sinking food is ordered, and I'm left with a giant tub of floating fish food.

Anyone have any recipes for, like, a cake or something that uses dried fish meal, algae, and carotenoids?

Advertisement