Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Dodder pathway?

Options
  • 21-02-2012 11:41am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's possible to walk along the River Dodder from the Liffey to (say) the RDS without having to deviate madly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You can walk from Ringsend bridge directly along the river as far as Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

It looks like you can walk from the Liffey to Templeogue along the Dodder, keeping pretty much along the river bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm not sure that you can walk from Lansdowne to Ballsbridge as there is ongoing flood relief work there.
    From Ballsbridge, you can walk alongside it in parts as far as Milltown. Otherwise you use the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You can pretty much walk alongside it from Ringsend to the M50 allowing for 3 sections (Ballsbridge - Donnybrook, Dartry, Butterfield Avenue (Beyond Rathfarnham Shopping Centre) - Firhouse Road (opposite Knocklyon Road) where you have to use the road.

As posted above - the flood defence works at Ballsbridge may impact on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

In Donnybrook, the rugby grounds get in the way. But you can walk down the main road to Eglinton Terrace an follow the river from there along the edge of Herbert Park to Ballsbridge. Otherwise you can walkdown Anglsea Rd to Ballsbridge and catch up with the River there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Thanks to all for their input. I walked from GCD up to Herbert Road but then had to divert onto Lansdowne Road due to building works on the river and pathway. It'll be lovely when it's all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Thanks to all for their input. I walked from GCD up to Herbert Road but then had to divert onto Lansdowne Road due to building works on the river and pathway. It'll be lovely when it's all done.

The building works there is quite short in distance, there's a small laneway beside the Dart station on Lansdowne Road (before crossing the tracks) that will bring you back onto the Dodder path after the building works and follow up to Ballsbridge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

xebec wrote: »
    The building works there is quite short in distance, there's a small laneway beside the Dart station on Lansdowne Road (before crossing the tracks) that will bring you back onto the Dodder path after the building works and follow up to Ballsbridge.

Thanks for that. I tried looking it up on google maps, but can see nothing obvious? There also doesn't seem to be a path on that side of the river when viewed on google maps, can you confirm where it crosses the river?

http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=53.333971,-6.228744&ll=53.334086,-6.227741&spn=0.001659,0.005284&num=1&t=h&z=18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    It looks like you can walk from the Liffey to Templeogue along the Dodder, keeping pretty much along the river bank.
    Beware of the Templeogue section. I used a section of this pathway along the Dodder on my way home and encountered a teenage gang who gave me a barrage of verbal abuse - I was walking alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I really like the Dodder walk from Templeogue as far as Dartry/Milltown.

Walk it often.
    gugleguy wrote: »
    Beware of the Templeogue section. I used a section of this pathway along the Dodder on my way home and encountered a teenage gang who gave me a barrage of verbal abuse - I was walking alone.

The deprived youth of Templeogue and their anti-social ways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement