Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby in forward facing car seat

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

there was a piece in the mother and baby magazine in this weeks independent which referred to the growing opinion that rear facing is safer.
    its not rocket science. if you crash your head goes forward with whiplash. if a baby is rear facing it goes into the seat which absorbs the movement of the body. a forward facing child gets whiplash and due to poor neck muscles gets injured.
    people think forward facing is important for developmental skills when there is no evidence for it and it only puts the child at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Jez you'd need a phd to figure it all out! Maybe I'm very naive but I always thought which? surveys were independent.
    i'd always thought so too, but apparently not this time.

i'll see if i can get my wife to dig it out as she showed it to me originally.

edit: she says they also have it up in the mothercare window that that it was a which survey 'in conjunction with mothercare".

the bottom line is that mothercare are making a big deal out of this supposed survey and child safety, yet you can't walk into a mothercare and buy any rear facing seats for anyone over 12 months/9kg despite what all the current safety information says.

and it's not like it's a new thing either, it's been that way in sweden for years, but the rest if the world only seems to be waking up to the blatantly obvious now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

http://www.carseat.se/

These 2 companies gave me a lot of practical advise on choosing a rear facing seat. They also ship to Ireland.
    some very interesting reading on that site.

if anyone is unsure of the benefits of a rear facing seat, you should have a read of: http://www.carseat.se/rearfacing/safety-benefits/
    How much safer is rear facing? Research has shown rear facing to be 500% safer up to two years of age. Do benefits disappear after that? Not at all. Rear facing is always safer, even for adults like you and me. Benefits decrease with age as our children develop fragile head, neck and spine. Rear facing at ages 3 or 4 still offer large benefits which the Swedes have shown in real life.
    500% may sound like a lot but numbers can be hard to grasp. In 100 collisions of rear facing kids, 8 rear facing children will die or become seriously injured. 92 will walk away fine. In 100 collisions with forward facing kids, 40 will die or become seriously injured. 60 will walk away fine. Those are large differences which help to save lives.
    i have no intention of being killed in a car crash, but if the worst did ever happen, i'd die a lot happier knowing that my child would survive and i'll do anything i can to make sure that happens.

our baby is already too big for this, but if it comes out by the time we have our second child, i'll be queuing up to buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think I'll email Simon from incarsafety again and ask him about the model he recommended and refitting etc if we had to temporarily remove it.

Have to say I'm quite disappointed with which? as I always thought they were independent and on the side of the consumer.

Incidentally, we had a forward facing seat in our hire car in Tenerife recently and our son was no happier or more content being able to see out the front of the car. I know that's an argument lots of parents make about keeping children rear facing until 4. He still screamed his head off in boredom and frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Btw that cocoon seat looks amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement