Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paddy Power's 'transphobic' ad

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

44leto wrote: »
    Males have the XY chromosomes while female have XX in some cases of transgenderism (not all), lets say a man will have male sexual organs but his chromosomes and genetic traits will be XX, so genetically they are a woman, with the sexual organs of a man.

In XX males, one of the Xs contains male SRY genes and their body develops male organs and they consider themselves men. They aren't genetically female, they have a rare disorder where male genes are found on an X chromosome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Come on, this is us, TheJournal and other outlets being spoonfed our news. Ryanair do this as well. It multiplies the power of the advertising, and creates brand awareness all over the place.

They're. Doing. It. On. Purpose.

To make a quick buck trading on intolerance is odious, but you wouldn't expect anything else from Paddy Power.

Don't know why we're even discussing it tbh. We're just feeding the monster, and sucking Satan's pecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

skregs wrote: »
    In XX males, one of the Xs contains male SRY genes and their body develops male organs and they consider themselves men. They aren't genetically female, they have a rare disorder where male genes are found on an X chromosome.

Good to see you are learning something;) but what happened to your "mental disorder" theory.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

token101 wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/call-for-transphobic-paddy-power-advert-to-be-withdrawn-360586-Feb2012/

I don't know if there's already a thread re this anywhere else. This happened again a few months ago, with No Nonsense car insurance (I think, it might have been another car insurance provider). I didn't think it was funny tbh, but I'm definitely not in favour of it being banned! Thoughts?

Your one and only comment in the LGBT forum was on the 'no nonsense' topic seven months ago, I can live with being offended but asking us to believe you when you say "I don't know if there's already a thread re this anywhere else" sorry I'd say the logs will show your well aware of it, thats fine but if your interested in transgender topics I suggest you just ask in LGBT we'd be happy to provide you with any information addressing any concerns you have re: transgender.

regards

44leto wrote: »
    Good to see you are learning something;) but what happened to your "mental disorder" theory.?

Well since you can't understand simple English, I'll break it down for you.

Men have male genes.
    Women have female genes.

Men (with male genes) aren't women, but some believe that they are women.
    Women (with female genes) aren't men, but some believe that they are men.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

They're people who think they live in the wrong bodies because of a mental disorder.
    They already get far too much kid glove treatment.

Assuming that's true, which it isn't, don't you think it's a bit beyond the pale to have an ad which might be deemed offensive to, or making fun of, people with serious mental disorders?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

This whole thing reminds me of......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In people with androgen insensitivity syndrome (to name just one other abnormality) , a person can have the SRY genes and still be outwardly female. XX male syndrome is only one sex differentiation disorder that you cherry picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Shakti wrote: »
    Your one and only comment in the LGBT forum was on the 'no nonsense' topic seven months ago, I can live with being offended but asking us to believe you when you say "I don't know if there's already a thread re this anywhere else" sorry I'd say the logs will show your well aware of it, thats fine but if your interested in transgender topics I suggest you just ask in LGBT we'd be happy to provide you with any information addressing any concerns you have re: transgender.

regards

WTF are you on about? I meant a thread regarding this particular advert. I'm not interested in transgender issues overall really. I am interested in finding out what the general opinion is about people feeling it's OK to attempt to impose censorship on us all because some are offended, in a situation not unlike that one seven months ago. You don't need to direct me, I wasn't lost. If I want a specific opinion from a select group I'll seek it out. Until then, best wishes.

Assuming that's true, which it isn't, don't you think it's a bit beyond the pale to have an ad which might be deemed offensive to, or making fun of, people with serious mental disorders?

No, they're probably all pricks and deserve it.

• Advertisement

CageWager wrote: »
    This whole thing reminds me of......

Exactly what I thought when I saw that Journal article. Great comedian!!!

That's a very good point, and undoubtedly true of all people diagnosed with mental disorders. :acceptable substitute for rolleyes to denote sarcasm:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

:pac: !!!

Ask yourself this though: for all your PC intentions, would you fúck a transexual? Would you treat them the same as you treat any other woman? Would you hold their hand in public and introduce them to all your friends?

No you wouldn't, because even if you aren't willing to say it out loud, you don't consider them to be real women, just unfortunate freaks who got a rough hand in life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well if the ad's intention was to drum up hatred, it's certainly succeeded...

Stark wrote: »
    Well if the ad's intention was to drum up hatred, it's certainly succeeded...

How?

Ask yourself this though: for all your PC intentions, would you fúck a transexual? Would you treat them the same as you treat any other woman? Would you hold their hand in public and introduce them to all your friends?

No you wouldn't, because even if you aren't willing to say it out loud, you don't consider them to be real women, just unfortunate freaks who got a rough hand in life.

Do you have to choose between shagging them and thinking they're freaks?

I hold my hand up and admit that though I would never look down on a transsexual, the idea of going out with a woman I knew had once had a male body would give me pause. It's a prejudice but I admit it. But I wouldn't make fun of them or think that they're freaks. It's simply that most of us have a hardwired binary opposition between male and female in our head, and a transgender person would contradict this.

If I got to know a transgender person over a long period of time and was very compatible with them, could I fall for them?
    Yes.

Could I fall for a transgender woman not knowing her past?
    Of course.

You don't have to choose between loving and hating transsexuals. You could be a little uncomfortable about the prospect of being intimately involved with a transsexual without thinking they're a freak, or any less of a person than you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Well are you transgender?
    Me? No. I doubt I could afford it to be honest. But I imagine some of the people who post in the lesbian, gay and transgendered forum are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

How?

This and This are just a few examples

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Of course it's offensive to transgendered people.
    Who are the people working in marketing these days, I thought it would be obvious that if you make fun of any minority group there will be outcry.

What is the world coming to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

WTF are you on about? I meant a thread regarding this particular advert. I'm not interested in transgender issues overall really. I am interested in finding out what the general opinion is about people feeling it's OK to attempt to impose censorship on us all because some are offended, in a situation not unlike that one seven months ago. You don't need to direct me, I wasn't lost. If I want a specific opinion from a select group I'll seek it out. Until then, best wishes.

But your interest to this date has been completely focused on transphobia, look forward to the dissertation but it sounds like it will be a little one sided,

Also your revised OP is more than a little different from your original OP,
    and if that is really your intention incredulous as it is I suggest then you have a mod move it to humanities in that case.

till then scholar,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes I do consider my trans friends to be real women and real men and also human beings. Just because you have issues - you really shouldn't project your disgusting and vile bigotry onto others

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Do you have to choose between shagging them and thinking they're freaks?

I hold my hand up and admit that though I would never look down on a transsexual, the idea of going out with a woman I knew had once had a male body would give me pause. It's a prejudice but I admit it. But I wouldn't make fun of them or think that they're freaks. It's simply that most of us have a hardwired binary opposition between male and female in our head, and a transgender person would contradict this.

If I got to know a transgender person over a long period of time and was very compatible with them, could I fall for them?
    Yes.

Could I fall for a transgender woman not knowing her past?
    Of course.

You don't have to choose between loving and hating transsexuals. You could be a little uncomfortable about the prospect of being intimately involved with a transsexual without thinking they're a freak, or any less of a person than you are.

How is it a prejudice? You know a fact, and you have made a judgement based on that fact. That's your right. You haven't prejudged anyone. Does it make you prejudiced that you don't find men attractive? That's a ridiculous statement to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's simply that most of us have a hardwired binary opposition between male and female in our head, and a transgender person would contradict this.
    Probably the best way of describing it tbh. Transgender conflicts with gender identification in our heads and I imagine most of us who've never even had the slightest pause to question our gender will never be able to understand what's going on in a TG person's head.
    I'd have to answer no. Even if I found such a person very attractive and all that, I don't think I could get past the barrier in my head telling me that this person used to be a man. Personal prejudice maybe. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I knew any transgender people.
    Though more specifically I wouldn't start a relationship with a transgender person because I know they wouldn't be able to give me children. I'm an old fashioned genetically reproducing caveman in that respect. I would equally have difficulty starting a relationship with a woman who knew she couldn't bear children.
    Though if my wife turned around now and told me she wasn't capable, that wouldn't be the end of our marriage. I just know it would be a deal-breaker in a new relationship.

I'm still firmly of the belief that anyone with excessively strong negative reactions towards gay, transsexual/transgender people, is simply someone who is uncomfortable with their own sexuality and not entirely sure if they're straight or gay.
    I'm straight, I will always be straight. I'm not afraid that a transgender person could "make me gay", or that gay men are going to suddenly start groping me and grinding up against my leg. I see no reason to be uncomfortable around them or call them freaks.

How is it a prejudice? You know a fact, and you have made a judgement based on that fact. That's your right. You haven't prejudged anyone. Does it make you prejudiced that you don't find men attractive? That's a ridiculous statement to make.

It's a prejudice because it's based on only one aspect of the person, before taking any other aspects of them, in terms of either their body or their personality into account.

Further, it's an irrational prejudice because it's based on how they used to be, rather than how they are now.
    That's also why it's different from me not fancying men. I have no physical attraction to men as I'm straight.
    I might have a physical attraction to a woman, but the knowledge that she had had a man's body might counteract that impulse.
    So in the case of me not liking men, it's purely biological.
    In the case of a transgender woman, it's knowledge which has no real relevance that's overriding my biological impulse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Jesus, transexuals seem to be the easiest offended freaks shows in town.

Banned.

--
    Disasterous thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement