Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Binocular advice

Options
  • 21-02-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from what's in the sticky I am looking for some advice on binoculars

I was advised to get "at least 15X70"

I was looking at some in a shop and asked about the 25X70

Basically he said they were very good for terrestrial but for astronomy, some people said they were not as good because of the amount of light they let in.

so basically I am asking, is this right?

should I go for 15x70 as oppossed to 25x70?

or is there some other type better for astronomy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

15x70 are brilliant, especially if you can securely mount them on a proper tripod.

The 25x70s will have a small field of view, which would not be ideal.

The "at least" was probably referring to the lens size, and the next step is 20x80 but they are expensive and I would not recommend them for a beginner. If you have a set of mounted 15x70 binos, you'll know if your next step is a larger set of expensive and heavy larger binos or a mid-size scope like a 8" dob, they will be approx the same cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

If you are just starting personally I would recommend 10X50's.
    Even if your not a beginner the fact that you can hold them for an extended period of time makes them ideal. I have a pair of 10X50's and 15X70's, the 15X70's are dusty the 10X50's aren't ;)
    After years of gazing if I had to choose to keep just one of those pairs, it would be no contest whatsoever.
    As said, the 25X70's wouldn't be the best for astronomy for 25 mag you would need to be going at the very least above 80mm and preferably larger.

Advertisement