Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I Am Comic

• 21-02-2012 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone seen this? watched it last night on netflix (the US one)and thought it was excellent, its a documentary about a retired comedian Ritch Shydner who was once an active comedian but since moved into writing material for other comics and is writing a book about the history of standup, he takes to the road again to meet other comics and try get back into doing comedy.

Thought it was a really interesting look at the life of a standup comic, especially Shynders first gig in front of a small bar audience where he comes up with a small joke and then refines it into something bigger as he does more shows, really shows how long comics work at perfecting what people think they rattle off the top of their head. has some funny interviews with other comics like Tim Allen, Sarah Silverman and Louis CK. would be good for people looking to get into comedy to watch as it goes into honing a craft and how to deal with hecklers and bad audiences, some of the stories are pretty funny.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭mrblondecutsear

Saw this myself and absolutely loved it. It's a great little insight into how the stand up comedy scene is in America and has interviews with some great comics throughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I didnt realise comics can spend over a year getting a 20-30 minute routine down, like I knew people hone something from a basic joke and refine it after seeing how audience react, just didnt think it took that long. suppose it depends on the comic too. Louis CK's story about how he takes the show ending killer joke and moves it to the front of his routine is good.

Advertisement