Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC gaming build €800-1100 budget

Options
  • 21-02-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks, I'm looking to build a gaming and other stuff rig in the very near future. Any help is appreciated.

Dib

1. What is your budget?
    €800-1100. I can be flexible here if the expense is worth the performance.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming (Skyrim:D), Matlab and C++ (neither intensive), some light 3D modelling .

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    I can get the student version so leave it out.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    None.

5. Do you need a monitor?
    Please suggest good monitor options, but it can be separate from the budget. (Though saving money in the budget will obviously win brownie points for your suggestions).

5a. If yes, what size do you need.
    22’ or preferably 24’.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    Currently have a 19’ CRT. It’s pretty not bad, so I can wait a little while on the monitor front.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Same as the monitor, please suggest a keyboard/mouse option, but it is not urgent. My brother has a very nifty Mechanical keyboard with red wasd buttons.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking
    ? Yes, but i'm scared.

8. How can you pay?
    Should be fine with any option.

9. When are you purchasing?
    Before next week if possible, my computer is starting to freeze on me (she is 8 years old though!).

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    I should be fine on this thankee.

A few more things: I would like a 100GB or more SSD. I would like the computer to run quietly. I have some old dell speakers/bass so I will be using those for the time being. Room to add a few cards would be nice. USB, mic and headphone jacks
    (for voip) at the front would be great.Maybe leave room on the PSU for some future upgrades.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

dibkins wrote: »
    Howdy folks, I'm looking to build a gaming and other stuff rig in the very near future. Any help is appreciated.

Dib

1. What is your budget?
    €800-1100. I can be flexible here if the expense is worth the performance.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming (Skyrim:D), Matlab and C++ (neither intensive), some light 3D modelling .

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    I can get the student version so leave it out.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    None.

5. Do you need a monitor?
    Please suggest good monitor options, but it can be separate from the budget. (Though saving money in the budget will obviously win brownie points for your suggestions).

5a. If yes, what size do you need.
    22’ or preferably 24’.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?
    Currently have a 19’ CRT. It’s pretty not bad, so I can wait a little while on the monitor front.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Same as the monitor, please suggest a keyboard/mouse option, but it is not urgent. My brother has a very nifty Mechanical keyboard with red wasd buttons.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking
    ? Yes, but i'm scared.

8. How can you pay?
    Should be fine with any option.

9. When are you purchasing?
    Before next week if possible, my computer is starting to freeze on me (she is 8 years old though!).

10. If you need help building it, where are you based?
    I should be fine on this thankee.

A few more things: I would like a 100GB or more SSD. I would like the computer to run quietly. I have some old dell speakers/bass so I will be using those for the time being. Room to add a few cards would be nice. USB, mic and headphone jacks
    (for voip) at the front would be great.Maybe leave room on the PSU for some future upgrades.

A wee bit over budget, but how about this:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €1,179.33 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€190.71
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX|€93.99
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€32.63
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.65
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Titanium Grey|€91.69
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€161.69
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€99.00
    ASUS HD7950-DC2T-3GD5, AMD Radeon HD 7950, 3GB, PCI- Express|€424.86
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€16.13
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - Pro PWM Rev.2|€14.98

I've taken quiet into account, so to save on money, you could get a cheaper case, and that could save you as much as €60, but I really think the case is worth the extra.

Also, this is the monitor I'd recommend: (the black is out of stock unfortunately)

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=52441&agid=1650

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Something like this maybe:

Type|Name|Price
    CPU|Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€190.71
    CPU Cooler|Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.70
    Motherboard|ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX|€81.59
    RAM|8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€32.63
    GPU|MSI R7950-2PMD3GD5/OC, 3072MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€415.28
    SSD|Crucial M4 Slim 128GB SATA 6GB's 6,4cm (2,5")|€157.01
    Case|FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl|€91.69
    PSU|Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.65
    DVD RW|Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€16.13
    Total build cost: €1,072.39 + €30 shipping

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Thanks for the builds guys. I can totally see some cavemen worshipping that case in the cold light of dawn, pretty epic looking.
    The moniter is in black in komplette, looks pretty nice!

Actually, yeah, I'd forgotten Komplett had the monitor. (And it's actually cheaper than HWVS too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

deconduo wrote: »
    Something like this maybe:

Type|Name|Price
    CPU|Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€190.71
    CPU Cooler|Thermalright HR-02 Macho|€33.70
    Motherboard|ASRock P67 Pro3 (B3), Sockel 1155, ATX|€81.59
    DVD RW|Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€16.13
    Total build cost: €1,072.39 + €30 shipping
    Hope you don't mind me going a little off-topic here.
    Did you do that manually or have you got some trick?

I was thinking of a way to do this, but it would either be very complicated and long or I would have to drop the support for changing the format and at that it would still be complicated and long :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me going a little off-topic here.
    Did you do that manually or have you got some trick?

I was thinking of a way to do this, but it would either be very complicated and long or I would have to drop the support for changing the format and at that it would still be complicated and long :(

I've been messing around with a template, but yeah its manual. The problem not everyone needs the same parts, and it would only work if you put stuff into your basket in the right order.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Hi Guys, was looking at a similar enough build. €400 sounds like a lot for a video card to be playing at 1920x1200 max. Plus it's a huge percentage of the budget. What would you recommend for the next step down (~€250 or so maybe?).

The fact is that with a gaming build, the GPU should be a large chunk of the budget. For the next step down, look at the 6950.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

timmaii wrote: »
    Hi Guys, was looking at a similar enough build. €400 sounds like a lot for a video card to be playing at 1920x1200 max. Plus it's a huge percentage of the budget. What would you recommend for the next step down (~€250 or so maybe?).

I was just going to point this out myself, especially since it's one of the parts you should consider to be easily upgraded in the future when you'll want that amount of grunt. I'd go for a HD6970 for closer to €300 or possibly a GTX570 (which I have). The HD6950 for close to €250 would also do you just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Aaaaaaaaand I've ordered. Many thanks for the help everyone. :)
    Dib

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Bet your glad to see the end of your 8 year old pos.

Advertisement