Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Separated No Plans to Divorce UK/Ireland

• 21-02-2012 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello all. My husband and I are separated; it's been a few years. For a long time we didn't even speak to each other and lately we have begun friendly conversation again. He is in the UK (England) and I in the US. I thought of coming to Ireland to make it easier for us to see each other if we wanted to (I have an EU passport), and yet I worry whether, since he is receiving housing benefit(s), for instance, whether I would be expected to contribute to his support if I were in Ireland. I don't have the kind of money I would need to keep up two households; and I wouldn't be able to afford being held responsible for his expenses. But it would be nice to be able to live not too far away and see what happens at least for a while. I don't need housing or any other benefits; I work and my job is portable. Would appreciate any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

No matter where you are living, US/UK/IRL, as long as you are living
    seperately your incomes or living arrangements do not matter with regard to housing benefit or social welfare etc.
    Why do you feel you should be responsable for his expenses ?.
    The only thing that could alter the situation is if he felt he could seek maitainance from you if you were able to afford it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vickypage

So kind of you to reply so quickly!

I think what was worrisome was whether the two governments' systems share information and would somehow look to recoup some of the benefits they're providing him from me, or even deny benefits to him because I was there? I tried to find relevant legal papers/rulings but wasn't able to word my searches properly I suppose. If that is the case, that it wouldn't matter, that would be lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Once seperated and he has succeeded in getting 'lone parents allowance' or similar social welfare payment then you could be a multi millionaire living next door and it would make no difference.

A neighbour of mine seperated from his wife some years ago and he built a new house in the site next door. They are seperated and the kids walk from one house to the other. She gets 'Lone parents allowance'.

Note; must learn to spell seperated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

vickypage wrote: »
    So kind of you to reply so quickly!

I think what was worrisome was whether the two governments' systems share information and would somehow look to recoup some of the benefits they're providing him from me, or even deny benefits to him because I was there? I tried to find relevant legal papers/rulings but wasn't able to word my searches properly I suppose. If that is the case, that it wouldn't matter, that would be lovely.

If you check on the Department Of Social Protection website it will explain the Irish situation with regards to benefits, and likewise with the UK equivelent in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

vickypage wrote: »
    I worry whether, since he is receiving housing benefit(s), for instance, whether I would be expected to contribute to his support if I were in Ireland.

Only if you co-habit. If you move in together.

Otherwise, you will not have to make any contribution.

And that is the long and short of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 vickypage

Thank you, everyone, I'm very grateful for your help!
    VP

Advertisement