Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband issue

Options
  • 21-02-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

One of our users uses Eircom Broadband to work from home as most of our users do, however unlike all of our other work from home users this one has some very serious issues with her provision.
    In order to work from home she must connect to the work network, to do so a connection must first be made to one of our VPN servers. The initial connection usually works fine but after about 15 minutes or so the connection times out and the user is disconnected, it can be several minutes before she can reconnect.
    We have tested the connection and can see that the ping responses to the network can vary wildly from 70ms to 600 or 700ms. We have seen it go as high as 1500ms.
    We have tried raising this issue through the usual channels but to no avail.
    Would somebody please investigate this as a matter of urgency. I will PM the pertinant details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Croidubh wrote: »
    One of our users uses Eircom Broadband to work from home as most of our users do, however unlike all of our other work from home users this one has some very serious issues with her provision.
    In order to work from home she must connect to the work network, to do so a connection must first be made to one of our VPN servers. The initial connection usually works fine but after about 15 minutes or so the connection times out and the user is disconnected, it can be several minutes before she can reconnect.
    We have tested the connection and can see that the ping responses to the network can vary wildly from 70ms to 600 or 700ms. We have seen it go as high as 1500ms.
    We have tried raising this issue through the usual channels but to no avail.
    Would somebody please investigate this as a matter of urgency. I will PM the pertinant details.

Thanks for contacting the eircom Forum on Boards.

In order to troubleshoot this issue, I recommend that the user first tests their connection directly on the eircom network.

I would also advise that the user connects their Ethernet (yellow) cable directly to the modem. This will rule out any local wireless signal problem.

Please remember that eircom Technical Support cannot support a third party virtual private company network (VPN). This is important and will help eircom Broadband Support locate and assist you finding any fault on eircom's side.

To save time it would be helpful if you could test the modem as advised on our Support Forum website :

Broadband Checklist

Temporarily disconnect everything from the phone line when testing: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket. Test your modem connection directly on the master phone socket.

Please ensure that you are not trying to log into a Virtual Private Network while testing your connection. This will help eircom Support rule out any problems with the eircom network.

If the fault lies with the VPN or internal setup, then the user should contact their own IT department for help with this.

If you are still experiencing connection problems when testing directly on eircom's network (only), then please contact eircom Broadband Support:

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up you call and will help if you need to follow this up.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Croidubh

Ant,
    Thank you for your quick reply. I will be on the user's premises this Saturday and will carry out all tests you have suggested (I am a member of the user's IT group).
    All tests that I have carried out so far have been while the user has been disconnected from the VPN. Also on other machines other than her work machine.

Will revert Monday.

Thanks once again.

Advertisement