Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 10k - 29 April

Options
  • 21-02-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭

race website
    route

Interesting...
    Run through the city centre - TCD, O'Connell Street, the quays, Lansdowne Road, Mount Street, finishing on Pearse Street. Pens at the start. 80 minute time limit.
    on the other hand
    26 quid to enter. Nobody pays any attention to pens (and the fastest is sub-45). No indication who is organising it (so will the course be accurate?)

I'm doing the BHAA and GIR 10ks in April, will I go for three in a row?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

RayCun wrote: »
    race website
    route

Interesting...
    Run through the city centre - TCD, O'Connell Street, the quays, Lansdowne Road, Mount Street, finishing on Pearse Street.

Yet another addition to the already crowded calendar, but the opportunity to race through the city centre is a rare one. Capacity of 5,000 should easily be reached I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Entered - should be back in one piece after Paris by then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Personally speaking I'm a much bigger fan of smaller, club organised races over these big corporate races. 26 euro for a 10k is ridiculous and if it's anything like the GIR (which I did once and would never do again) no one will pay any attention at all to the timing pens and jump in where they want. Rant over! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Yeah, the only reason I'm considering it is the location. I like forcing the roads to close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Touche! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I think it looks like it could be good. Perfectly flat course so should be good for times but not liking the fact it is on the Sunday evening!!
    The price is a bit expensive alright but I'll still probably pay it/sign up.
    Q: Will it be dark/under lights by 8:30 at the end of April???
    Edit: Sunset is at 8:52pm. Twilight may mean it'll still not be fully dark by the end of most people's race!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

belcarra wrote: »
    Q: Will it be dark/under lights by 8:30 at the end of April???
    Edit: Sunset is at 8:52pm. Twilight may mean it'll still not be fully dark by the end of most people's race!

Now where did I leave my copy of the Trade Descriptions Act? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Two weeks after national 10k plus a race in the dark(I think). Be an interesting novelty at least. Commercial race though, danger of a short course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Love the FAQ:
    Q: What should I wear for the event?
    A: No. All participants must register online before the day of the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

If anyone want's to run around Rathrum in the dark next Wednesday night and get some nice competition and a time for 3miles I can sort you out for a fiver!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77215734#post77215734[HTML][/HTML]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ok folks, we could mock it but at least give it a chance. So its website isn't fully updated but it was only announced yesterday from what i can gather.

Wouldn't it be great to have a city centre 10k that got established in Dublin possibly for years to come that might bring more city centre based races in future?

And i've nothing to do with the event in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I like the idea alright and hope it takes off, however 2 things stand out for me;

"Witness the kick off of Olympic fever in Dublin"

Yeah cause the olympics are on in Dublin this summer :rolleyes: I wonder are they saying the same thing for races in France and Belgium ;)

"Race packs MUST be collected from this venue as follows:
    • Saturday 18th April 2012 from 12.30pm to 6.30pm (must be a typo)
    • Sunday 29th April 2012 from 10.30am 3pm"
    So the race starts at 8.30pm so you've to hang around for 5 hrs + before the race starts. Fine if your living close by, but apart from that its a pain. Also Dublin streets will be full of drunken Munster fans celebrating their Heineken Cup semi final win over Toulouse in the Aviva ;)

As regards the 5,000 limit being reached i would say not a chance, mainly due to the Sunday night "death slot".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Panakin

I like the idea alright and hope it takes off, however 2 things stand out for me;

"Witness the kick off of Olympic fever in Dublin"

Yeah cause the olympics are on in Dublin this summer :rolleyes: I wonder are they saying the same thing for races in France and Belgium ;)

"Race packs MUST be collected from this venue as follows:
    • Saturday 18th April 2012 from 12.30pm to 6.30pm (must be a typo)
    • Sunday 29th April 2012 from 10.30am 3pm"
    So the race starts at 8.30pm so you've to hang around for 5 hrs + before the race starts. Fine if your living close by, but apart from that its a pain. Also Dublin streets will be full of drunken Munster fans celebrating their Heineken Cup semi final win over Toulouse in the Aviva ;)

As regards the 5,000 limit being reached i would say not a chance, mainly due to the Sunday night "death slot".

OMG the level of whinging by people in this country never ceases to amaze me, the Olympics are been held in London, as close to Ireland as it’s ever going to get (do we remember that idiot Gay Mitchell’s attempt to bring the biggest sporting event in the world to Dublin some years back), Samsung are an official Olympic partner and therefore have decided locally to do something!, what is so wrong with this?, these events are extremely expensive to run and you can be sure it’s coming at a great cost to the sponsor and you can also be sure there are plenty of people profiting from this event, anything that encourages spending is to be supported and I for one will be parting with my paltry 26 euro to run this race at night.

Panakin wrote: »
    I for one will be parting with my paltry 26 euro to run this race at night.

Ahh, but will it actually be at night??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

OMG the level of whinging by people in this country never ceases to amaze me, the Olympics are been held in London, as close to Ireland as it’s ever going to get (do we remember that idiot Gay Mitchell’s attempt to bring the biggest sporting event in the world to Dublin some years back), Samsung are an official Olympic partner and therefore have decided locally to do something!, what is so wrong with this?, these events are extremely expensive to run and you can be sure it’s coming at a great cost to the sponsor and you can also be sure there are plenty of people profiting from this event, anything that encourages spending is to be supported and I for one will be parting with my paltry 26 euro to run this race at night.
    Where's the whingeing? :confused:
    This thread has actually been quite supportive (apart from a few references to errors on their website (which may help the organizers to get them addressed). This is a discussion forum, so the nature of it is that people will discuss the logistics of any events posted (race length, cost, number pickups etc). If you don't want to see the discussion, stick to the organizer's website.

*Edit*: Good to see that the errors on the website have been remedied. The system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Off you go!!

I will stick to the bhaa 10k k-club race and the 5 mile rte race also. 10 euro for each :P

Forgot to say loads of sandwiches also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Looks like you pissed of the organiser Brian. :rolleyes: Fair play to him for setting up a profile and the one off post to vent frustration over your whinging.

I havent seen this much frenzy over a themed race since the '8 mile cool down' run a few weeks after the Dublin Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KeenRunner

RayCun wrote: »
    race website
    route

Interesting...
    Run through the city centre - TCD, O'Connell Street, the quays, Lansdowne Road, Mount Street, finishing on Pearse Street. Pens at the start. 80 minute time limit.
    on the other hand
    26 quid to enter. Nobody pays any attention to pens (and the fastest is sub-45). No indication who is organising it (so will the course be accurate?)

I'm doing the BHAA and GIR 10ks in April, will I go for three in a row?
    "No indication who is organising it (so will the course be accurate?)"

Quick heads up guys!

Just entered the race there and it looks like Athletics Ireland are involved, so race route should be accurately measured through them!

Think they also get a mention on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

to do this, or not to do this.

I will be flying back in from a stag weekend about 5 hours before it starts.....I think I'll have to think about it. It does seem quite expensive for a 10k, considering the number of choices in the general area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

This looks likes a great race. A closed roads event taking in the city centre is something that would really benefit the city.

I run parts of the course regularly and it's a great route, really is. The city is stunning from the perspective.

Of course there are cheaper races out there but I don't see the value in pointing out that a completely voluntary organisation's race is cheaper to enter on every single event's thread.

Athletics Ireland is on board for this event so should provide some quality control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Athletics Ireland is on board for this event so should provide some quality control.

Hopefully anyway. So long as its an acurate 10k we're in business.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    in the dark next Wednesday night I can sort you out for a fiver!

Jaysus BeepBeep, theres a time and a place for such things.............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

tunguska wrote: »
    Jaysus BeepBeep, theres a time and a place for such things.............

Nothing like a knee trembler on the back streets of Rathdrum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KeenRunner

Anyone else notice that the Brogan brothers launched the race? I wonder are they actually running it..love to take them on!! :)

KeenRunner wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that the Brogan brothers launched the race? I wonder are they actually running it..love to take them on!! :)

I'd prefer to take on Rozanna Purcell myself:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Couldn't fine a thread for this... Looks like fun - my only concern is the route. There appears to be too "loops" on the rout, how's that going to work? One quite near the end too when runners will be considerably spread out.

http://samsungnightrun.com/#headerhome

There's already a thread set up here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77206736

belcarra wrote: »

Thanks! I looked twice :o

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    There appears to be too "loops" on the rout, how's that going to work? One quite near the end too when runners will be considerably spread out.

http://samsungnightrun.com/#headerhome

Do you mean that north / south runners will be criss-crossing the east / west ones, creating chaos? If you zoom right in on the map my run route at the loop junctions (e.g at the north wall quay / Samuel Beckett bridge junction) you will see that this should not occur - in theory faster runners will pass quite close to slower ones who are further back the loop, but they wont be sharing the exact same piece of road and should not crash into one another.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/65263530

eoinín wrote: »
    Do you mean that north / south runners will be criss-crossing the east / west ones, creating chaos? If you zoom right in on the map my run route at the loop junctions (e.g at the north wall quay / Samuel Beckett bridge junction) you will see that this should not occur - in theory faster runners will pass quite close to slower ones who are further back the loop, but they wont be sharing the exact same piece of road and should not crash into one another.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/65263530

That's exactly what I meant - thanks for clearing it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Just signed up and the confirmation number is in above 4700 - so I guess it will be full soon.

Love the idea of this race.

Advertisement