Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Night Run 10k - 29 April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Yep in the region of 300 meters long but you can't have everything, perfect running conditions tonight, maybe a tad warm with the gentle southerly's blowing, someone mentioned rain, they must have been dreaming:eek:
    wrstan wrote: »
    Anyone else clock this course long?

I stopped my watch at 0:39:59 but at 10.3km. One of the guys I travelled with clocked the distance as 6.37 miles! I know Garmins aren't entirely accurate, and the distance depends on the line you take, but 300m?? surely not.

I am afraid to look at my chip time, will be mighty P'dO if it has another second on it! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Just checked my time and it's WRONG!!! I started my RunKeeper App 200m (and about 45 seconds) BEFORE I crossed the start line and stopped it 50m AFTER I crossed the finish line and it confirmed a time of 1:01:35 but the Samsung race results have my time as 1:08:xx. There's no way I was 1:08 unless the timing system caught my chip as I walked back past the finish line towards my car a few minutes after I finished and had recovered.

I'm not that bothered to be honest as I had been aiming for a PB of under 55 minutes but knew that wasn't on after freezing my arse off for 30 minutes on Nassau Street.

Still, for a technology company to get the timing so wrong is not very impressive :(

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    meno ran by early while the field was still very thin,

Thanks for the shout out ray. Given the conditions I didn't wear my glasses and thus was running a little blind, I figured you were one of the tallaght lads.
    jahaco wrote: »
    .Tough to get a PB tonight given the conditions and in just over 41 was 2.5 minutes off my time for the BHAA 10k last weekend

I'd be interested to hear was this the general consensus. I knew the spilts would be erratic given the wind so I decided to cover the watch the whole way round. Was disappointed to see the clock had just passed 40 minutes when I hit the finish line. Was hoping/expecting 38:xx and felt I ran well. I guess the wind was a slowing factor.

Really nice course all the same. My watch also measured it a little long...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,509 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Excuse the silly question, but should I look at net time or gross time?

You should expect some slight differences with a gps as your taking corners wider/tighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Emer911 wrote: »
    Those volunteers and marshals were definitely to be commended for hanging around in that! Huge thanks to them. Definitely worse for them than for us.

+1 for the volunteers and marshals, maybe apart from the guy with the megaphone at the assembly area :D

Apart from the extra 300m ;) it is a great course and definitely one to do again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

New PB 52:08, good atmosphere at the start, nice medal, really enjoyed the rain.

antomagoo wrote: »
    Scratch that, you have to click on your name :o

That might explain my problem then as I was starting towards the back.

Fingers crossed ;)

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

I'm a little distrustful of the timing. I remember seeing 40:xx on the clock as I passed the line, but my gross time is 49:50! My net time was 46:15 which would also be quite slow for me. Am feeling pretty frustrated and a little cheated now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I can't say i enjoyed it much, at all...and that's purely down to the weather being absolutely s*ite.

on another day, i'd say it would be great.

The Athletics Association of Ireland (AAI) are licensing the Samsung Run Dublin @ Night and their representatives have measured the route to international and Olympic standards. The route will be exactly 10km in distance starting at the front gates of Trinity College Dublin and finishing on Westland Row. As this route is a flat and fast route, it’s perfect for attempting and running personal best times.

the distance thing always comes up after events, its boring, im still cold. g'night all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

baztard wrote: »
    I'm a little distrustful of the timing. I remember seeing 40:xx on the clock as I passed the line, but my gross time is 49:50! My net time was 46:15 which would also be quite slow for me. Am feeling pretty frustrated and a little cheated now.

When I went over the line at 68 minutes the clock on the ground at the finish line looked like it said 42 minutes - I couldn't understand what it was timing as I knew that the winner had done it in a lot less. My own timing matched exactly with the chip time (all be it that the course seems like it was a few hundred metres long) I presume I read it wrong ?

• Advertisement

Guys,

When you get your result from the Precision Timing site (and you're depressed that it's much longer than you estimated ;) ) click on your name in the result or your bib number in the result and it will bring you to a different screen which show both the "Gross Result" i.e. the result originally displayed by Precision Timing but also a "Net Result" time which is your chip time and mucho better.

My Gross Result was 1:08:xx whereas my Net Result is 1:00:xx. A difference of 8 minutes between the "Gun" time and the "Chip" time.

I understand the differences but I don't understand why Samsung would present the irrelevant Gun time alone when the Chip time is also available?

Who cares about the gun time???

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Measured course at 10.06km on my garmin watch which was fairly close . I am disappointed though that the race results show no finishing time for me! Although I have my garmin watch it is always nice to see your official time published also. Interestingly none of entrants with my surname have a race result either. For the entrance fee I would have at least expected the organisers to get that right, considering the sponsors are in the technology market.

On the positive side I liked the course except for the narrow bit on the north wall quay and I achieved a PB because of the flat course. Hope they do it again next year and the weather is a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Garmins, run keeper, the course was to short, to long, I was a Marshall tonight at Lansdowne Rd and hundreds of runners we're running on the path, Dont think the course was measured on the path..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Agree:) I was cut off several times by runners cutting across onto the paths despite Marshals like your good self asking them not to. Have to add the race was very well marshalled tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Great event, really enjoyed it. I do think the prizes were a bit stingy. Samsung only giving out phones to the first 3 across the finish line. What about a Samsung TV, or a laptop?? At least give phones to the top 5/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

I really enjoyed it despite the weather thought there was a nice atmosphere there was a funny moment at the start when the crowd were walking to the starting line one fellow walked ahead of the steward and he went mad and shouted oii then the rest of the crowd did the same he was wearing a Nike jacket like what Arsen Wenger wears which reminded me of that football incident at Stoke V Aresnel game which was also funny anyhow back to the race I thought the stewards were very friendly throughout the race I fell near 1 mile in where we had the first U turn twas slippy but things like that will happen when its wet, There's something liberating running down the middle of streets that would normally be very busy, the finish that looked like the finish but wasn't would slightly lead you astray but it wasn't a big deal, Afterwards didn't hang around as I was freezing just wanted to go home and get warm. Anyone hang around for the afters tea/ sandwiches / prize giving?The race overall I'd give it a thumbs up had a great time and I'd do it again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

BenThere wrote: »
    Prizes are awarded on the basis of gun time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dolanBiker

Great race! Especially enjoyed taking back the streets and running down O'Connell Street. Crossing the Samuel Beckett bridge was the hightlight for me, class views of (rainy!) Dublin. Nice T-shirt, medal and grand goodie bag. I'll be back next year alright.....see what the weather does then.

So the priority for Samsung is to present the Gun time result to 5,000 participants when it's only relevant to maybe 100 elite runners at the front???

Good decision there :rolleyes:

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

great race,..

well organised. I thought it went smooth enough at the start. Moving that many people at once from Nassau St to Trinity and stopping traffic was well handled.

Personally I ran a bad time,. I never really warmed up after the drenching in Nassau st,, .Nothing a bin liner wouldn't have sorted- my own fault..

I wont mention my poor nipples...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 iano666

Well, I started from the very front, my garmin said course was 1/5 mile too long which was a similar stary to the four other people who I know where running last night. To be honest the very minimum I expect when I pay to enter a race is that the course is the correct distance, for 5 garmins to agree that it's too long!!! Not good enough I'm afraid!

``
    wrstan wrote: »
    Anyone else clock this course long?

I ran 36:45, but for 6.4 miles, thats 1/5 mile too long, which takes a minute off! I had 4 friends running with their garmins and all are a similar story, It was definitely too long, no doubt! The fact they couldn't get the distance right is annoying to say the least!

I stopped my watch at 0:39:59 but at 10.3km. One of the guys I travelled with clocked the distance as 6.37 miles! I know Garmins aren't entirely accurate, and the distance depends on the line you take, but 300m?? surely not.

I am afraid to look at my chip time, will be mighty P'dO if it has another second on it! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

So the priority for Samsung is to present the Gun time result to 5,000 participants when it's only relevant to maybe 100 elite runners at the front???

Good decision there :rolleyes:

Ben
    The chip timing and results layout are provided by an external company. Overall placings in a race are typically determined by gun time. If you want your chip time just click on your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

They are but surely after the prizes are awarded it should be possible to get results by chip time. I'm well back in the field and it's a bit irritating to see people "placed" ahead of me whom I beat. From what I can see a lot of people started in wave 1 and 2 that had no business being there. However they were given a 6 - 8 minute head start on runners of similar ability as far as the results we're concerned.

All it does is incentivises people not to respect the waves as they do get an advantage. There's no point in telling them they're only kidding themselves as they end up with a published place well up on what it should have been.

I know my time and at the end of the day that's the main focus for me. Next time round I will be comparing my time against my time and am happy to start in the appropriate wave again. However those who insist on joining waves above their standard are no doubt not of that mentality and whilst you can argue the point that it doesnt effect your own time comparisons the fact is it does as these slower runners have to be negotiated around during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

iano666 wrote: »
    Well, I started from the very front, my garmin said course was 1/5 mile too long which was a similar stary to the four other people who I know where running last night. To be honest the very minimum I expect when I pay to enter a race is that the course is the correct distance, for 5 garmins to agree that it's too long!!! Not good enough I'm afraid!
    Give us a link to your Garmin Connect activity. Let's see just how accurate it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

First time running any sort of organised run. Train twice a week with my football team and rarely get out running distance. Aimed to finish in 48mins and did it in 47mins 48secs. Was delighted with the time.

I thought it was a well run race and the marshals/stewards a long the way were brilliant with their encouragement, despite the weather.

Give us a link to your Garmin Connect activity. Let's see just how accurate it really is.
    Good idea, I'm out now but I'll do it later!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

iano666 wrote: »

Agree with the above as actually thought my farming was playing up. Didnt see any km markers bar the 8k one or did I miss the rest? Well organised and as stiff as a plank today:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

size5 wrote: »
    Agree with the above as actually thought my farming was playing up. Didnt see any km markers bar the 8k one or did I miss the rest? Well organised and as stiff as a plank today:D

You must of missed them. I seen the 2km, 5km, 6km & 8km markers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Krusty, how do you find how accruate your garmin connect is and how do you make it more accruate?

Thanks

Advertisement