Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise Moving into shared accomodation

Options
  • 21-02-2012 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I met a tenant of a property today. He was a polish person. He is living in the house but not owner. He said I am welcome to move in this weekend. Rent is 260 per month and deposit is 260 aswell. What are the next steps?

In relation to paying the deposit. What is now my next move. Do I get bank details from him and transfer money over as a deposit and for rent?

Is there a contract to be signed?

Its my first time renting a property and I just dont want to make any mistakes when going about doing this. Thanks for all help in advance and all advice very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭yomamma

Any advice would be great!

I am just completely new to all this and dont want to get scammed on my deposit. A contract has to be signed right? otherwise how can I verify I paid a deposit? The guy I met doesnt speak english to well so Im finding it hard to communicate with him. He says I can move in this weekend. He didnt mention how I am to pay the first rent and deposit. I just know that I am welcome to move in but am just asking here what are my next steps?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Just talk to the landlord, he should give you a receipt for your deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Definitely look to meet with the Landlord and not just a tenant....

Thanks lads.Ill make sure I talk with landlord first.

I rang tennant and he said he would send the details on. I am texting him now for landlord details and he aint textin back. Just hard communicating with him. He seams like genuine guy but dont wanna get scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

If he won't give LL details then walk away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

If you can't speak to each other i'd leave it anuway, keep looking!

I dunno what to make of this. He gave me landlords number.I gave landlord a ring and he said that the tenant collects all cash from other tenants and drops the money up to landlord in cabra at end of every month. He said he doesnt do direct debits for repayment of mortgage reasons?

It all sounds dodgy as fook but Landlord said he would come to me tomorrow for quick chat about it.

Can ye give me advise on what questions I should ask him. What information to be exchanged is vital?

Honestly from meeting with the tenant in house and talking briefly to landlord over phone they do seam genuine. I just need to move out and this is only House on offer for my budget and location.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Tell the land lord you want receipts for all cash deposits paid and rent paid. If he says no, walk away.

Ask him who handles any problems in the house (burst pipe, broken appliances etc) the other tenant who you can not communicate with, or him?

Ask him for a lease.

Ask him what his move out policy is, how much notice you have to give to get your deposit back.

Ask him what the policy is on paying bills...ESB, gas, UPC etc etc

Ask him if the house has a BER certificate & if so, what is its rating.

Ask him if he is registered with the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Are you sure the person you spoke to is genuinely the landlord and not a friend of the tenant's?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You should definitely try to get as much in writing as possible including the property owner's address and contact details. Technically, you are not likely to be a tenant if you are entering into a flat/house share unless you all sign a single lease with the owner. It sounds more like you will end up as a licencee which means you may not have PRTB protection etc. best to get as much info as possible.

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    Are you sure the person you spoke to is genuinely the landlord and not a friend of the tenant's?

Ye I do think he is landlord. He had Dublin accent and agreed to meet me tomorrow.

To be honest it does all seam genuine. I am just after getting off phone to a friend and he said that not paying through direct debit is very common with landlords? I went to house today two hours before meeting time and when talking to the tenant he did seam very genuine and welcoming. Im just under a bit of pressure to move out so I dont wanna come across desperate to landlord tomorrow. I was thinking of asking him to reduce the deposit rate. Anyway if its a bunch of scammers then thats life Just wish me the best :D I could be dealing with the russian mafia here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Sounds like the rental deal is a tax scam. Get involved if you want, but I'd advise against it.

Read here for some more info http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/

If the landlord isn't give you some paperwork, some type of lease with their name, address and details, then you can be pretty sure they are trying to hide from the tax man. If you don't have paperwork, then you might not be able to get your deposit back.

Actually, people like that really pi$$ me off, thinking that they are so much better/smarter/more entitled than the rest of us that they shouldn't pay tax and I'd be tempted to set up a fake gmail and send all the details you have into the revenue.

Keep looking.

Ye it does look like he is dodging tax payments but I am desperate to find somewhere urgently.

Just one last question regarding a lease. On daft.ie it doesnt say what the lease duration is. If the notice is one month and I give them one month notice for my departure does it make a difference how long I have been there? My plan is to stay there for two months (I am not telling them this). I am hoping to get a job within next month. If I get a job I will then give them my months notice. I will only have been there one month, does this effect me getting back my deposit?

Well I met the landlord today and he seams genuine nice lad. I am moving in on monday. I have to give the tenant deposit and rent money on monday and he gives to landlord.

He is asking for 240 deposit. I was afraid to ask him earlier if he could reduce the deposit cause I desperately need to move in and didnt want to give any negativity to him. Being honest I dont really have enough for deposit and the rent. He wants 480 total on monday but I only have 300 on me. That will cover the rent and 60 eur of a deposit.

Do landlords generally demand full rate of deposit the first day you move in?

Thanks!

Any advise lads?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

yomamma wrote: »
    Well I met the landlord today and he seams genuine nice lad. I am moving in on monday. I have to give the tenant deposit and rent money on monday and he gives to landlord.

He is asking for 240 deposit. I was afraid to ask him earlier if he could reduce the deposit cause I desperately need to move in and didnt want to give any negativity to him. Being honest I dont really have enough for deposit and the rent. He wants 480 total on monday but I only have 300 on me. That will cover the rent and 60 eur of a deposit.

Do landlords generally demand full rate of deposit the first day you move in?

Thanks!

Yes they do and I would be sceptical about you getting your deposit back after two months? It reads like you are trying to pull a fast one on the tenant/landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, it is normal to require the first months rent and deposit up front.

Did you give the landlord/tenant a verbal commitment as to how long you were planning on staying? If you did and you leave after 2 months, I wouldn't fault him for hanging onto your deposit. He is now out rental income that he thought he was going to get from you for the foreseeable future. He also has to go to the trouble and expense of finding a new tenant when you leave. The best way for you to get your deposit back is to find a suitable tenant to move in after you move out. If there is no break in his rental income he may refund you your deposit. If you don't, he won't, and I can't say I blame him as by your own admittance, you are not being honest and upfront with him from the get go as to your intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

yomamma wrote: »
    I met a tenant of a property today. He was a polish person. He is living in the house but not owner. He said I am welcome to move in this weekend. Rent is 260 per month and deposit is 260 aswell. What are the next steps?

In relation to paying the deposit. What is now my next move. Do I get bank details from him and transfer money over as a deposit and for rent?

Is there a contract to be signed?

Its my first time renting a property and I just dont want to make any mistakes when going about doing this. Thanks for all help in advance and all advice very much appreciated.

Speak with the landlord. That guy could easly pull a fast one on dozens of people. But in all likelyhood with will be fine. Best to speak in person with the landlord not a number given by this guy you have just met. But in saying that I always when renting shared accomodation just met the tenants.

Advertisement