Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forced eviction stopped by protestors, zero coverage in media?!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Yawwwwwwn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that a lot of crap that goes on in Ireland never makes it to the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Great. A couple of pictures and a wiki history article.:rolleyes:

No background or context to the story? If it's some wanker that isn't paying (not can't pay) his rent or mortgage, then should he not expect to be evicted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Good to see the people standing together against the corrupt elites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Great. A couple of pictures and a wiki history article.:rolleyes:

No background or context to the story? If it's some wanker that isn't paying (not can't pay) his rent or mortgage, then he should be evicted.

thats my point! i cant find any info except that thread!

no media covered it

• Advertisement

skelliser wrote: »
    thats my point! i cant find any info except that thread!

no media covered it
    Right. I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down, brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Good to see the people standing together against the corrupt elites

Or people ignoring the law and doing as they please. Great day indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Maybe the media didn't cover it because there seems to be little to no information as to what actually happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

token101 wrote: »

Like the way we're bailing out the banks? Like the way we are being forced to pay for these bailouts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

I dont mind people protesting but the reason alot of people hate protesters is becuase of comments like this on th politics.ie link
    House and land. I was there, but not fully aware of the circumstances.

Protesting, but not fully aware of the circumstances.:confused: :rolleyes:

Pure rent-a-mob, life long protester mentality there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

TheZohan wrote: »
    Like the way we're bailing out the banks? Like the way we are being forced to pay for these bailouts?
    Was that against the law?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

OP, are you really surprised? Here's something that's really only dawned on me lately. Irish people hate Irish people. We have ZERO unity. I think it could come from a massive inferiority complex, maybe brought about by the whole 800 of oppression but that's just guesswork on my part. But either way from what I've seen Irish people won't stand up for each other, ever. Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave and all that. Seriously OP stop expecting to see Irish society stand together against anything, they're only interested in keeping each other down, not helping each other by working together. It's seen as very uncool to stand up for yourself or others.

Like the ones arguing on this thread that it's ok to rip people's homes out from under them to hand to a bank because it's "legal", idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

humanji wrote: »

They created laws to bring that in

Any other business would and should have gone to the wall

curlzy wrote: »
    OP, are you really surprised? Here's something that's really only dawned on me lately. Irish people hate Irish people. We have ZERO unity. I think it could come from a massive inferiority complex, maybe brought about by the whole 800 of oppression but that's just guesswork on my part. But either way from what I've seen Irish people won't stand up for each other, ever. Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, it's with O'Leary in the grave and all that. Seriously OP stop expecting to see Irish society stand together against anything, they're only interested in keeping each other down, not helping each other by working together. It's seen as very uncool to stand up for yourself or others.

Like the ones arguing on this thread that it's ok to rip people's homes out from under them to hand to a bank because it's "legal", idiots.
    Do you know the details of this particular story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

The law doesn't mean it's morally and officially correct.

Sykk wrote: »

nobody said it was

someone said "ignoring the law" someone else tried to give "bailing the banks" as an example of ignoring the law, then it was pointed out it is not against the law

whether it's morally correct or not is another issue

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If you live in Ireland you live by the law of the land not the law of morals and official correctness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

Well said!!

The banks were owned by shareholders, it was not our responsibility to bail them out. It was not our debt to begin with.

I don't see any difference between the two tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

pmcmahon wrote: »
    If you live in Ireland you live by the law of the land not the law of morals and official correctness.

"One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws" - MLK

Laws don't allow for context or discretion. They often cross lines that are unacceptable by many and those people can object to those laws in a peaceful manner.

• Advertisement

nobody argued that

maybe you should read it properly before yelling about idiots

Do you know the details of this particular story?

Where in my post do I mention this particular story? I put forth my view on Irish society and it's unwillingness to stand united. I fail to see why I would need details on this particular story as my post doesn't even mention it. If it's merely an inflammatory question to draw me into an argument, you're going onto my ignore list.

And breaking the law doesn't automatically mean the law was immoral or incorrect.

...you're going onto my ignore list.
    Oh noes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Eh, yes it does, officially at least! What's the moral measuring stick? Feelings? I It's horrible that people need to be evicted, but I'd like to see the background before I take the word of the ULA and Sinn Fein. This Land League stuff is pure bollocks. It's a totally different situation.

The banks were owned by shareholders, it was not our responsibility to bail them out. It was not our debt to begin with.

I don't see any difference between the two tbh.
    Your example is about something lawful, the person you quoted was talking about people possibly doing something unlawful. There's quite a huge difference between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

What's a 'forced' eviction as against the more regular type of eviction?

bluewolf wrote: »
    nobody argued that

maybe you should read it properly before yelling about idiots

:rolleyes: Ah bluewolf, you're usually somewhat intelligent in your posts. However, you'll see that even though no one "argued" it, it was implied in the previous posts, if you look really hard and think for a long time about it you see what I mean:rolleyes: Oh and it's only yelling if it's written in CAPITALS.

Seachmall wrote: »
    "One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws" - MLK

Laws don't allow for context or discretion. They often cross lines that are unacceptable by many and those people can object to those laws in a peaceful manner.

Laws however are the foundation of the state and mustn't be broken.Sure you have the right to protest,but protests must be within the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

A "forced eviction" is when the Sheriff shows up. It's then a criminal matter should you refuse to leave.

Oh noes!

ok, you've amused me, you can stay.

:rolleyes: Ah bluewolf, you're usually somewhat intelligent in your posts. However, you'll see that even though no one "argued" it, it was implied in the previous posts, if you look really hard and think for a long time about it you see what I mean:rolleyes: Oh and it's only yelling if it's written in CAPITALS.

Am I only intelligent when I agree with someone who inserts numerous rolleyes emoticons in their posts?
    It wasn't implied anywhere

It's a propaganda tool to make the hippies look harmless and defenseless.Making "the Man" look big and scary when the fact was that the protesters were the ones causing the hassle.

I think, in a nutshell, a regular is when you're told to leave and you leave, and a forced eviction is where you're told to leave and you refuse and so the police would probably be called in. I'm sure someone here knows the legal definition.

edit: Seachmall ninja'd me.

In fairness, if your post wasn't about the subject of this thread, then why post it here? You have to assume that everyone else would think it related to the story.

token101 wrote: »
    Am I only intelligent when I agree with someone who inserts numerous rolleyes emoticons in their posts?
    It wasn't implied anywhere

Le sigh :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

And that implies "it's ok to rip people's homes out from under them because it's legal"... where?

In fairness, if your post wasn't about the subject of this thread, then why post it here? You have to assume that everyone else would think it related to the story.

In fairness, the thread is about media coverage, or lack thereof, however, this being After Hours I felt it acceptable to give forth my view on why we're in the state we're in as it's somewhat related to the discussion at hand. That ok?:rolleyes: (Guess what my favourtie emoticon of the day is, bet you can't!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Some load of nonsense. I've certainly no interest in standing up for someone who refuses to pay their rent or mortgage.

And that implies "it's ok to rip people's homes out from under them because it's legal"... where?

Pedantic, what a lame effort, can't believe you could seriously fail to see the implication. One more idiotic response and you're going on the ignore list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Our media are a pathetic bunch of clowns anyway, They are part of the system and always have been...

• Advertisement

Pedantic, what a lame effort, can't believe you could seriously fail to see the implication. One more idiotic response and you're going on the ignore list.

If you put on your ignore list i'm going to put him on my friends list!,how do you like those apples!? nerr nerr :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

. One more idiotic response and you're going on the ignore list.

One does not make such a threat lightly.

In fairness, the thread is about media coverage, or lack thereof, however, this being After Hours I felt it acceptable to give forth my view on why we're in the state we're in as it's somewhat related to the discussion at hand. That ok?:rolleyes: (Guess what my favourtie emoticon of the day is, bet you can't!)

You had a rant against the Irish that was barely related to the topic and got called on it. There's no point getting shirty and insulting people.

Some load of nonsense. I've certainly no interest in standing up for someone who refuses to pay their rent or mortgage.

I genuinely hope you never fall on hard times and can't afford to pay your rent or mortgage. This isn't one or two people who can't afford their mortgage, we're talking about approximately 100,000 households. That's nearly 10% of mortgage holders are 90 days or more behind their mortgage repayments.

The majority of these people aren't wasters, they're normal hardworking people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I'd say they were given plenty of warning and did nothing, so hardly ripped from under them.
    Where the **** is my free house?

One does not make such a threat lightly.

Yeah I know Francis, I save that threat for only for the worst of the worst. Don't worry though, you're funny, and therefore safe from the dreaded "ignore list:eek:".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I posted this in a thread re Health Insurance in April of last Year;)

Having been on boards for approx 8 weeks now, I am sceptical as to whether it is part of our psyche to look after each other............now I am not for one minute saying boards is fully representative of society, it never could be however, there are more threads here with people turning on one another than I imagined. Overweight v. thin (the overweight are more of a drain on the HSE, surely notrolleyes.gif!), employed v. unemployed, private sector v. public, middle class v. lower classes, middle class v. wealthy, left v. right and so on........

Now, it is only my opinion but, are we not the product of this Country as well as the consumer, are our lives and the quality of them not the product that we elect our Governments to manage in terms of providing services?

Up until 8 weeks ago I was in a well paid job thinking that my future was fairly safe, not so. Then, being in the public service, I was used to attracting comments of how cushy I had it (even the ex husband tried that on one occasion!! He's ok now thoughtongue.gif). And when speaking to those employed within the private sector (I have worked in both areas in my time), I learned very quickly to keep my job to myself, now in the short matter of 2 months I must ready myself for the ire of those who have been lucky enough to hold on to their jobs thus far!! God forbid I should feel down and eat a packet of choccie biscs to cheer myself up....getting very close to being Public Enemy No. 1!!

I guess what I am saying is united we stand and divided we fall.....perhaps we should stop taking out our fears and frustrations on other citizens of our homeland and concentrate our efforts on demanding results from those we employ to manage Ireland Inc...if everyone on boards put aside their prejudices regarding weight, employment status, class and wealth and put their not inconsiderable talents and intelligence into taking on the Government on their results and progress, it would be a very powerful lobby...open to correction here folksredface.gif

A meeting of minds??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I genuinely hope you never fall on hard times and can't afford to pay your rent or mortgage. This isn't one or two people who can't afford their mortgage, we're talking about approximately 100,000 households. That's nearly 10% of mortgage holders are 90 days or more behind their mortgage repayments.

The majority of these people aren't wasters, they're normal hardworking people.

Well I'll never be dumb even to buy a huge mortgage for some **** house. Also, 100,000 people aren't being evicted so why is this person? Obviously they are a special case, so how long do you think it's acceptable for people not to pay their mortage, 180 days? 365? 2 years? 5 maybe?

subway wrote: »
    I'd say they were given plenty of warning and did nothing, so hardly ripped from under them.
    Where the **** is my free house?

But you saying doesn't actually mean it's true.

From reading the thread over in politics.ie it seems that they sold some property to pay for their debt and only a small amount of debt remained, the bank was unwilling to restructure the debt in any way.

Perfect example of what I spoke about in my first post. Above is the typical Me Feiner Irish attitude.

• Advertisement
Advertisement