Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Tips advise, renting out a room in my house

Options
  • 21-02-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

i have a spare double bedroom in my house that im considering renting out , to help with my mortgage.
    im a bit nervous renting out to strangers. Its going to be hard to find someone decent, that you can trust. if i ask for references sure they could give their friends or family as references.

I know there is a lot of things they are allowed to do , i.e Tenants rights etc I dont want someone moving in having parties and stuff like that.

can someone give me some advise and tips please. :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

dublin80 wrote: »
    i have a spare double bedroom in my house that im considering renting out , to help with my mortgage.
    im a bit nervous renting out to strangers. Its going to be hard to find someone decent, that you can trust. if i ask for references sure they could give their friends or family as references.

I know there is a lot of things they are allowed to do , i.e Tenants rights etc I dont want someone moving in having parties and stuff like that.

Where the person works and for how long is the most reliable guide. The perwson will not have tenants rights. They will be a licencee. You make the rules as regards parties and visitors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dublin80

Kosseegan wrote: »
    Where the person works and for how long is the most reliable guide. The perwson will not have tenants rights. They will be a licencee. You make the rules as regards parties and visitors etc.
    I would ask them for a character reference from their Job?
    How come they wouldnt have any tenant rights, and what do you mean they will be a licence??
    i thought all tenants have the same rights.

sorry for all the questions, im just new to this renting thing and dont know where to start really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

When renting a room in your house the key thing to remember is that it becomes the home of the person who moves in and you need to live as equals. That would include maybe having the occasional guests. Many live in landlords seem to take an almost parent/child attitude and that's not appropriate when someone is paying to live in your house.

i've no problem with the occasional guests over etc i just dont want to take in the wrong person, and they will be having parties, and wrecking my house. im a very easy going person, but dont like getting walked on either.
    id rather look into it all beforehand, before taking just ''anyone'' in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

How about restricting your list of possibles only to people that can provide the following?

1. Proof of steady income via a bank statement or payslip.
    2. Character reference and verification of said employment from their employer.
    3. References from former land lords as to how well their treated their former home and abided by the landlords rules. Preferably this would be a firm of estate agents that will be a legit company. This means that future tenant can not give you the phone number of one of their mates, and get them to pretend that they were their landlord & tell you all kinds of pork pies about them.
    4. Don't rent to students.

To protect yourself and your home, you are entitled to ask for any documentation that you want. If the prospective tenant chooses not to give it to you, can not give it to you, or can but thinks that you are being overly nosy, okay then. Move on to the next person who can.

• Advertisement

thanks for replies so far. Little things ive been thinking of, they may sound petty, but there are little things you've to think of

the use of toiliteries, tea, coffee, sugar , milk , toilet roll, washing powder, washing up liquid, stuff like that. im hardly gonna lock away all my food etc.
    ive heard about giving them a press and a shelf in the fridge, but that doesnt mean they are not gonna help themselves to my goods? whats the best way around that?
    Im so new to all this, i dont want to get walked on, and dont really know anyone that rents out to a lodger in their own home, that I could ask for advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

thanks for replies so far. Little things ive been thinking of, they may sound petty, but there are little things you've to think of

the use of toiliteries, tea, coffee, sugar , milk , toilet roll, washing powder, washing up liquid, stuff like that. im hardly gonna lock away all my food etc.
    ive heard about giving them a press and a shelf in the fridge, but that doesnt mean they are not gonna help themselves to my goods? whats the best way around that?
    Im so new to all this, i dont want to get walked on, and dont really know anyone that rents out to a lodger in their own home, that I could ask for advise
    You will be renting to a person who is not a tenant in your home but a licensee or lodger (as I prefer to call them).
    As it is your home and you are living there, the licensee/lodger actually has very few "rights". They do not have "exclusive" use of the bedroom which means that you can, in fact, enter at any time, preferably when they are there but always allowing the lodger peaceful enjoyment of the room.

You may, at any time ask the lodger to leave, giving a reasonable notice period, usually the rent period (monthly or weekly. However, if you feel intimidated or fear personal injury etc, you can get them to move out immediately.

I have also sent you a PM, check your inbox for the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You can specify you only want a lodger for during the week

Many do this, college students or people working in a different city but going home to their families at weekends

Rent is cheaper of course but you get the place to yourself at weekends. They can stay the odd weekend but that has to be arranged

It's all up to you, you make the rules and see what interest you get

You seem a good landlord
    Some object to their lodgers using the living room to watch "their" TV and almost expect the lodger to live in the bedroom.

If you take someone in then you live as equals

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

I would ask them for a character reference from their Job?
    How come they wouldnt have any tenant rights, and what do you mean they will be a licence??
    i thought all tenants have the same rights.

sorry for all the questions, im just new to this renting thing and dont know where to start really.

They are not tenants. They are in the same position as a guest in a hotel.
    There is no need to get a chartacter reference from workv as such. Just confirm thart the person works where they say they work. If they have benn there for a reasonable period you can take it they are stable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I posted a similar thread to this before. It's just like a houseshare. You all get together and decide on things like toilet paper. we did a kitty type thing for a while but now just take turns. they're doing me a favour by living with me so I don't mind buying the odd bit of washing up liquid.
    As for people picking, I didn't go down the documentation route. Just interviewed a lot of people and chose people I thought seemed reliable. We have a deal where we can each give 30 days if I want them out or vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭solovely

Dublin80 have you never houseshared before? Just treat it in the exact same way!

I've been renting out rooms in my house since I bought it. I have always called the people who live with me housemates not tenants or lodgers, and treat them as such. The only real difference is I pay a mortgage and they pay rent....and I furnish the house, look after any big maintenance issues, and pay some additional bills that they don't.

I'm very lucky in that only once have I had to rent a room to a stranger, and that wasn't a very pleasant arrangement. Before and after it's always been friends and worked a dream. If you could get a friend, that would be ideal, but as I said, remember that it's their home too and you are sharing your space, not "allowing" them to use it.

If you have to get a stranger, based on my somewhat negative experience, a few tips I'd have would be:
    upfront have a mutual agreement about guests. Agree that both of you won't have guests over for more than 1-2 nights a week, and if you do, you won't completely take over the common area.
    Agree to shared household chores (of if like me, you're too busy, pay for a cleaner, but make sure they do their fair share too).
    Let them know up front how much you think bills will be and agree when and how they'll be paid (remember though, as part of the rent a room scheme, you are not technically supposed to charge lodgers for bills...everyone does though!!).
    If there's an issue, bring it up early and lightheartedly, rather than letting it go on cos you feel bad because they are "subsidising your mortgage"!
    When you're interviewing them, try to get to know them personally, not just what they do. Look for common interests, ask what they like to watch on TV, what they do in the evenings. Remember you are going to be sharing your life with this person, so more important than them paying bills on time is your ability to share your home life with them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Hi OP, I rent a room with the owner of the house. It's my third time being in this situation. It has its ups and downs, on the plus side, the house is usually well maintained and bills are always paid, but on the downside, there is always that feeling that you are in someone else's house. To be honest, I treat it like any other house share. I'm not paying the owner a nice sum each month for the privilege of their company, I pay it to live in the house as an equal. You'll have to accept that if you are planning on taking in lodgers in the long term, there's nothing worse then paying to rent a room with an owner who expects you to spend all your time in your room while they sit in the dark in the sitting room watching tv with all the doors closed, marking it out as their territory!!

In relation to the whole food, washing powder etc issues, like I said before its like any other house share. We each have our own press and shelf on the fridge and we all buy our own food/toiletries etc. Its better not to share that stuff, especially if there's only 2 of ye, as if the other isn't paying up you'll have to go chasing them for it. In relation to food stealing, it depends on your luck with lodgers, some people will steal others food, most won't.

The most important thing is to get any rules you have agreed from the outset (people staying over, cleaning, who parks where etc). Also ensure you state exactly what is and isn't included in the rent (cable tv, tv licence, bins etc - it can be very frustrating to be told something is included in the rent and then being charged for it after a few months). Also don't take it as an insult if the lodger doesn't like every aspect of the house or buys something for the house while they are there (I've gotten this once or twice where I've bought something for the kitchen and there was a bit of 'Well what was wrong with what was there' attitude).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

My land lord gets a copy of their passport, after his friend got badly stung. It's a handy way to weed out any one dodgy. Not sure if it's actually legal to get a photocopy of it but I'm sure most genuine people would be happy to give a copy of it.

Depending on your financial situation wait to get the right person not the first one that'll do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

athtrasna wrote: »
    When renting a room in your house the key thing to remember is that it becomes the home of the person who moves in and you need to live as equals. That would include maybe having the occasional guests. Many live in landlords seem to take an almost parent/child attitude and that's not appropriate when someone is paying to live in your house.

just to note, this statement has no basis in law, its a licensee not a landlord-tenant relationship. from another perspective you are, to a certain extent, interviewing for a new friend. you will probably see this person more than your family so getting on with them should be of utmost importance.

but, its still a business and you dont want to get screwed, so you can set whatever ground rules you want, and my basic advise would be set them in advance. what you think is common courtesy might be bizarro world for the lodger. this then leads to disagreements about who can do what etc.

you can specify rooms that are off limits, kitchen times (whatever you like) but remember that it will be harder to get a tenant if you have crazy rules and easier to get a bad tenant if you dont spell out normal things before a contract is signed. ie, someone could see you as a bit naive. even the nicest person can become difficult if they lose their job, the girlfriend dumps them, they lose a leg, etc. you dont want to be letting someone live for free for months on end becuase they are your best mate.

make sure to cover things like notice periods, reasons for evictions, along with general ground rules. there are no laws applicable so if you dont write it down you will find that when you go to enforce it you have nothing to back you up. while this means you can do anything you want, it still makes it harder, at a personal level, to deal with conflict.

read through some of the old threads here, while what i have written is not exactly common, its also not outside the boundaries of possibility. i would rather be upfront with someone than be posting on boards while my lodger stores unwashed clothes under their bed for months :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

subway wrote: »
    just to note, this statement has no basis in law, its a licensee not a landlord-tenant relationship. from another perspective you are, to a certain extent, interviewing for a new friend. you will probably see this person more than your family so getting on with them should be of utmost importance.

but, its still a business and you dont want to get screwed, so you can set whatever ground rules you want, and my basic advise would be set them in advance. what you think is common courtesy might be bizarro world for the lodger. this then leads to disagreements about who can do what etc.

I wasn't speaking legally...I was speaking as someone who has shared houses with owner occupiers in the past..some owners really did seem to expect you to live in your room :rolleyes:

The last one was spectacularly memorable for other reasons...I ended up marrying the landlord :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

athtrasna wrote: »
    I wasn't speaking legally...I was speaking as someone who has shared houses with owner occupiers in the past..some owners really did seem to expect you to live in your room :rolleyes:

The last one was spectacularly memorable for other reasons...I ended up marrying the landlord :D

So, you ended with the landlord living in your room and screwing you :D
    OP, now you see what can happen without ground rules!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I will PM you the agreement that I have with my lodger, who stays Monday to Friday only.

It is completely up to you what you want in the agreement. Mine is effectively like a hotel. I provide clean linen & towels every monday morning, and I have the room from friday by 5pm, empty of all belongings other than 1 bag and stuff in 1 drawer. I provide electricity and broadband. He cannot put anything up on the wall, and cannot have guests in the house at any time without prior permission from me.

That suits a commuter who just wants a bed. If you are renting for the whole week to someone who actually wants to live there as their home, you are obviously going to have to give some flexibility on the guests they can have round, and you might want to share some bills

Contrary to what other people have said on this thread, a lodger does not have the rights of a tenant, and you dont have to live as equals - in my case it is more like a hotel, not a houseshare. They are bound simply by the terms of whatever document you put together.

Their work is the best place for a reference - or just a check that they actually work there. And I would make sure they use a work email address when communicating with you. Start with a short term (maybe 3 months), with an extension option should you both agree.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You can specify you only want a lodger for during the week

Many do this, college students or people working in a different city but going home to their families at weekends

Rent is cheaper of course but you get the place to yourself at weekends. They can stay the odd weekend but that has to be arranged

It's all up to you, you make the rules and see what interest you get

You seem a good landlord
    Some object to their lodgers using the living room to watch "their" TV and almost expect the lodger to live in the bedroom.

If you take someone in then you live as equals
    Hi Mikemac,
    thats a good idea about the students just livingg there monday to friday and going home at weekends, or even working people from the country working in dublin mon-fri. but is there a specific site that i could advertise that on?

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Gillo wrote: »
    My land lord gets a copy of their passport, after his friend got badly stung. It's a handy way to weed out any one dodgy. Not sure if it's actually legal to get a photocopy of it but I'm sure most genuine people would be happy to give a copy of it.

Depending on your financial situation wait to get the right person not the first one that'll do.

IMHO, Wait to get the right person, irrespective of the financial situation.
    Originally posted by athtransna.

Not quite as equals because the house owner/landlord has the last say in anything. I am currently in a flat renting a room and I do not consider myself as equal with the owner. I have no worries with her rules and we get on very well. But I do not consider myself as an equal in her apartment.

steve9859 wrote: »
    I will PM you the agreement that I have with my lodger, who stays Monday to Friday only.
    thanks Steve, i'd appreciate that.
    Also, if you can tell me where i ould advertise to take in students or country people working in dublin mon-friday?

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

As u are technically bringing some one into your house . U need not only the financial security but also don't need to be coming back to your home after a days work and having to put up with some one and make small talk for the sake of it ...lay the ground rules down and say what u expect from the off . It makes things easier later on . A kitty is a good thing but also say things if u finish milk ... Washing powder u are responsible for replacement ... Nothing worse to come in and all milk gone !! Small things can drive u mad .. As how do u know what u are getting ? Hopefully by the initial viewing u can judge by their answers ... I think u do have to ask things about relationships ! It is better to know if there could be a significant other over more than u would like ... If rules are stated at the viewing .. If the prospective renter decides to move in . Ye are already at a winning start .. A lease or equivilant also should be done detailing what u the landlord and the renter should expect from the partnership ... Things like periods of notice are important ESP as this is going to help towards your mortgage .. U have to think of this as do u want this person to develop into a friendship or remain purely financial ... More clear rules from the off will make it easier for both of u ... Studants and the idea of digs could be even better for u as they are meant to be gone most of day and u could set mon - Friday ( which gives weekends) back to u ...if in a good location u could check with nearby students union accomodation to get on their register .. And also get idea of what rates u could charge ...good luck ..

Look at the section for landlords for UCD as an example .. http://www.ucd.ie/residences/mainmenu/studentaccommodation/off-campushousing/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Unfortunately you will have to go by your instincts. And lay down the law with every one that calls around see what their reaction is. If they don't like what you say don't invite them into your home

Advertisement