Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean Windows 7 install.

Options
  • 21-02-2012 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post but I've been given some great advice in the past from people in here so I'll give it a try.

I've had a Compaq Presario CQ61 laptop for a couple of years now and it's gone very slow over the last 6 months. I'm hoping to do a clean install of Windows 7 (I'm currently running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit) but the sticker containing the product key has almost entirely worn away.

I no longer have any CDs or manuals that may have come with the laptop, I'm not even sure that i did get a restore CD.

I tried using some software called Magic Jelly Bean Finder and this did return a Product ID and a CD Key but neither of these match what little of the sticker I can still see. Is there anyway i can retrieve the required Key?

I have an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium that i installed on my PC when i built it. Would I be able to use this if i could locate the original product key for the laptop?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you right-click on my computer, your product key is given down the bottom, and you can download a legitimate ISO that you can then burn of Windows 7 online if you don't have the DVD here.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

The product ID I'm getting by doing that is completely different to that which is on the sticker (at least the bits I can still see!!) do I not need whatever Key was on the sticker?

Woooops, my bad. Don't know what I was thinking there. I'm not sure then, sorry about that.

Thanks anyway,

I might just have to try ringing Microsoft. It seems a bit of a stupid idea to put the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Pity i didn't write it down somewhere when i bought it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »

Both of these are giving me the same product key as Serephucus suggestion. Its possible that this might be the key i need but when its different to the sticker I'd rather not risk it. A slow computer is better than one that won't run!!

Thanks anyway.

I'd be able to check for you, but I don't have my Windows DVD handy, so I've no way to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Use a key-finder to get your key, then install with any Windows 7 disk. They're all the same until you enter the key.

Advertisement