Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wild bullock

• 21-02-2012 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

Ourselves and a neighbour are the last 3 weeks trying to round in a wild bullock for him. He is a simmental limousin cross and will be a 4 year old in june. He is not hungry enough to come near meal or silage, he is out on rough ground with lots off picking. Rushes, briars gorse and last summers grass that was never grazed right. He has horns and no mart or factory would ever take him. We cant even get him in anyway. He must be 850 kgs. What can be done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Mr.Success wrote: »
    Ourselves and a neighbour are the last 3 weeks trying to round in a wild bullock for him. He is a simmental limousin cross and will be a 4 year old in june. He is not hungry enough to come near meal or silage, he is out on rough ground with lots off picking. Rushes, briars gorse and last summers grass that was never grazed right. He has horns and no mart or factory would ever take him. We cant even get him in anyway. He must be 850 kgs. What can be done?

Why won't the factory take him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Aim . Aim and FIRE

On a serious note, i know a lad (65 years old +) who didnt herd test for 14 years and when he finally put up a crush and the Dept came out to test a bullock hurt or stamped a dept vet. 3 days later the army were out, everything was shot by marks men and loaded into refrigered lorried with a telehandler on site. (dont know if they went to factory for humans or dogs) True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

let a few quiet cattle out with him, leave them together for a few days and then run them all in;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

whelan1 wrote: »
    let a few quiet cattle out with him, leave them together for a few days and then run them all in;)

Put out a trough as well, meal for a few days gets them all to mix better. Bring trough closer to gate each day too.
    Then lots of manpower when you do to bring them in, get it right first time to avoid getting them ris by running them round the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Aim . Aim and FIRE

On a serious note, i know a lad (65 years old +) who didnt herd test for 14 years and when he finally put up a crush and the Dept came out to test a bullock hurt or stamped a dept vet. 3 days later the army were out, everything was shot by marks men and loaded into refrigered lorried with a telehandler on site. (dont know if they went to factory for humans or dogs) True story.
    Did this happen in Ireland. Was there many animals. I can't imaging this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

bbam wrote: »
    Put out a trough as well, meal for a few days gets them all to mix better. Bring trough closer to gate each day too.
    Then lots of manpower when you do to bring them in, get it right first time to avoid getting them ris by running them round the place.
    also patience, hate seeing lads roaring and shouting and battering animals with sticks, flying after them on quads etc:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

reilig wrote: »
    Why won't the factory take him?

A vet was out and seen him and said the vets working in a factory would not let him in with the 2 horns. We cant get him in to TB test him or even skull him. I'd say he would break and smash around him even if he was put in a crush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

There is 2 dry cows in the same area and we seen him grazing with them from a distance but if a twig breaks under your feet he is gone like a hare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

let a few quiet cattle out with him, leave them together for a few days and then run them all in, away:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

yessam wrote: »
    Did this happen in Ireland. Was there many animals. I can't imaging this happening.

Ye happened about 10 mins drive from me. The cattle were stone crazy, and only ever seen the farmer. They had horns 12" long.
    My vet even confirmed it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Ye happened about 10 mins drive from me. The cattle were stone crazy, and only ever seen the farmer. They had horns 12" long.
    My vet even confirmed it happened.

a simalar thing happened near me,farmer didnt test for years or much else for that,skull,casterate etc. lot of inbreeding went on and that,dept. came out and shot em all,now he has several horses out making sh*t of the place all year round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Belongamick

Mr Success,

We had a crazy lad two years ago. In the end, we were fortunate to be beside a willing neighbour who let him join up with his small herd of suckler cows. The cows were 'trained' to walk to the sheds every couple of days and he followed - the herd instinct. Eventually, we seperated him into a trailer and off to be loaded into a larger 40ft for the factory. We thought that was the hard work over.... when he was about to be transferred to the truck he started his 'Riverdance' moves - going crazy in the trailer. We could not let him out again so I had to drive the MF135 35miles to the factory and back.
    It took 2 months to get rid but he had not injured anybody or himself.
    You will get him in the end, cows tend to calm the situation down, meal helps and time and lots of it is the most important ingredient.
    -Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

The Factor will take him if you can get him in remember there is over 1500 euro running around out there just make sure when you get the quote that you notify them if he is over 4 years og age

Do what the lads said with the troughs and quite cattle if you can cut down thew area he has to move in electric fence and white tape or rope not string (plenty of Current) then get him into field with shed don't use nuts get a ration with molasses in it make sure shed is secure and he cannot get out I had a fellow like this 4 years ago he jump out of anything but he was scared of the electric fence. When you load him up with the ramp and off to the factory just let them know what he is like and he will go straight up the line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Mr Success
    Had a good few of these type of stock in my time some ran away as this beast and some came at ye, 2 ways of doing this.
    1 Easy way few old dairy cows these have been well handled in there time and like meal, time is the by word here as some of the people say.
    2 Fiend a real good dog not a sheep dog a good strong cattle dog and a bit of help just make sure that when you get him in their is only one way out heels up.

As a side issue had an uncle who bought a farm of an old man the place was wild woods no fences it was a fairly large place but the heard was wild nothing would stop them,
    He tried to round them up jeeps, quads and scramblers to very little success.
    The finish of the story go's he had two sons who were vets they sent to America for a tranquillizer gun and they shot the cattle and tranquilized them only way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

also patience, hate seeing lads roaring and shouting and battering animals with sticks, flying after them on quads etc:rolleyes:

This.

Sometimes less is more. We had a Lim bullock who was nuts from the word go. When he was a young calf he escaped loading by hurling himself over a shoulder heigh wall on his back! Less people can be better, people they're used to, as more strangers tend to wind them up.

If ye do let other cattle out with him, ignore him, completely. Best tip I've ever got about wild cattle. The sort that raise the tail, straighten the head, snort and away! Move the other cattle slowly and he'll follow. Don't so much as look at him.

We had a heifer with a cow in one field, all would be well until we'd get them as far as the gap, then the heifer would be away back down the field. The more you'd follow her, the farther she'd go. But, ignore her, and keep going with the cow and she'd fall over herself to get to where we'd be bringing them.

As for lads roaring, shouting and waving war schticks, want to be broken over their backs, idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

johngalway wrote: »

This.

Sometimes less is more. We had a Lim bullock who was nuts from the word go. When he was a young calf he escaped loading by hurling himself over a shoulder heigh wall on his back! Less people can be better, people they're used to, as more strangers tend to wind them up.

If ye do let other cattle out with him, ignore him, completely. Best tip I've ever got about wild cattle. The sort that raise the tail, straighten the head, snort and away! Move the other cattle slowly and he'll follow. Don't so much as look at him.

We had a heifer with a cow in one field, all would be well until we'd get them as far as the gap, then the heifer would be away back down the field. The more you'd follow her, the farther she'd go. But, ignore her, and keep going with the cow and she'd fall over herself to get to where we'd be bringing them.

As for lads roaring, shouting and waving war schticks, want to be broken over their backs, idiots.
    +1 John, for a sheep man you hit the nail on the head there. Strangers around wild cattle is a big no no. 1 man would have a better chance of rounding them up. I have cleared neighbours before when their cattle broke into ours because they came in shouting and roaring and set ours mad. Pure stupid and no need for it. I could do more with our own stock by myself than I could with 10 people beside me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Attie wrote: »
    Mr Success
    Had a good few of these type of stock in my time some ran away as this beast and some came at ye, 2 ways of doing this.
    1 Easy way few old dairy cows these have been well handled in there time and like meal, time is the by word here as some of the people say.
    2 Fiend a real good dog not a sheep dog a good strong cattle dog and a bit of help just make sure that when you get him in their is only one way out heels up.

As a side issue had an uncle who bought a farm of an old man the place was wild woods no fences it was a fairly large place but the heard was wild nothing would stop them,
    He tried to round them up jeeps, quads and scramblers to very little success.
    The finish of the story go's he had two sons who were vets they sent to America for a tranquillizer gun and they shot the cattle and tranquilized them only way out.

+ 1 Attie, it's a regular event on U.S feedlots, no fences like we have here, if they get out it's open Country!!

harvest before I landed a factory fit Charolais steer escaped at loading and he took off, he hid in the woods for 14months and we got various sightings but I could never see him, heard tales of his size... We waited til heavy snow to track him so we could distinguish between deer prints and his, when he revealed himself... Some sight, an elephant, loaded him into the caterpillar loader and away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

A developer not far from me bought a bit of land around 2002.he decided hed put 40 bullocks on it so hed make a few quid while sitting on the land. to cut a long story short, it cost him wages for something in the region of 15 labourers for two days trying to get them in. hed left them for nearly three years and hardly checked them. where was the department there or is it liked the cops they only plague the ordinary joe.
    only advice i can give is stay calm and only use calm people to get him in. one person to get excited willbe obvious and the animals will know it.

+1 John, for a sheep man you hit the nail on the head there. Strangers around wild cattle is a big no no. 1 man would have a better chance of rounding them up. I have cleared neighbours before when their cattle broke into ours because they came in shouting and roaring and set ours mad. Pure stupid and no need for it. I could do more with our own stock by myself than I could with 10 people beside me.

Sure Dad had cattle for years. He got out of them after two bad years in a row with calving. I'd have loved to have kept that cow and heifer I mentioned above they were lovely black animals altogether.

A neighbour had cattle break into our field, himself and two other as excitable types were ranting and raving around the field to separate theirs from ours. Talk about a waste of time. I was getting angry watching them, and they're the types you can't talk sense to.

I know what you're saying about working stock on your own. Sure animals that are used to you being around them will be quiet the vast majority of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Mr.Success wrote: »
    A vet was out and seen him and said the vets working in a factory would not let him in with the 2 horns. We cant get him in to TB test him or even skull him. I'd say he would break and smash around him even if he was put in a crush.

No problem with horns in the factory- my favourite place for older cattle with handlebars.
    TB test is a different issue, would need to check but should be leeway if within 18 mths of test.
    LM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

be very careful.i bought a mad bullock afew years ago,a black limousin. thought he was cheap until i got home.when you cornered him in pen for dosing etc he would go for you and/or jump every gate in the place.got him in to slatted shed with some cull cows.had to load them all from the crush.
    if your bullock gets you with them horns the 1500 euro wont be much good to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

be very careful.i bought a mad bullock afew years ago,a black limousin. thought he was cheap until i got home.when you cornered him in pen for dosing etc he would go for you and/or jump every gate in the place.got him in to slatted shed with some cull cows.had to load them all from the crush.
    if your bullock gets you with them horns the 1500 euro wont be much good to you

Yes Island only thing to give a fe**er like that is a change of address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

I with Whelan here a few nice quite hand cows and you away on a hack

Off I went to the mart one day and I bought 12 of the most beautiful Limousine heifers you ever seen real quality ones for handy money too.
    So I arrive home with my first load and my on site agricultural advisor (my father) arrives out he admire them and looks at the receipt and asks are they quite!!!

They were stone mad burst out an electric fence or 3 flattened walls and went 4 farms over to a dairy farm where they met up with the WORST bellyish yoke of a Friesian bullock but where he went they went absolutely no problems at all needless to say I immediately paid €350 for the bullock and walked him home with the heifers on the road

To get them eating meal we mixed ration with nuts and meal

they are now all almost pets now and all on their 3rd calf each

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Some good advice in different posts. For me the big message would be Time, Patience and One man feeding the bullock over a period of time, with some steady comrades. A bit of rough weather could leave him anxious for meal.
    I bought a red Lim bullock a few years back because he arrived on our land having broke from the local mart, and was too wild to be moved, but he settled with time enough to load him and factory him.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

This.

I agree until the last part. When loading cattle into crushs, pins or trailers you need sticks and need to use words their familier with. Are you saying when trying to load cattle you wonuld'nt open your mouth and would'nt bring a stick?:rolleyes:

This.

I agree until the last part. When loading cattle into crushs, pins or trailers you need sticks and need to use words their familier with. Are you saying when trying to load cattle you would'nt open your mouth and would'nt bring a stick?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Finno59 wrote: »
    When loading cattle into crushs, pins or trailers you need sticks and need to use words their familier with.

The odd one drives me around the twist, but if your set-up is good it goes a long way.

I don't beat the cows at home. They are used to going into the pen, and used to going up the crush.
    It's always the same fellows that are roaring and shouting..............The same fellows that have wild cattle!

Bizzum wrote: »
    The odd one drives me around the twist, but if your set-up is good it goes a long way.

I don't beat the cows at home. They are used to going into the pen, and used to going up the crush.
    It's always the same fellows that are roaring and shouting..............The same fellows that have wild cattle!

O ya, you need to keep them calm and shouting and beating doesnt achieve that but ya do need a stick and your voice.
    The cows often come in for milking much quicker when they see a stick in your hand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

There seems to be alot of wild cattle out there :eek:

• Advertisement

I agree until the last part. When loading cattle into crushs, pins or trailers you need sticks and need to use words their familier with. Are you saying when trying to load cattle you wonuld'nt open your mouth and would'nt bring a stick?:rolleyes:

If I was saying that, I'd have said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

O ya, you need to keep them calm and shouting and beating doesnt achieve that but ya do need a stick and your voice.
    The cows often come in for milking much quicker when they see a stick in your hand ;)

i agree with you on this one, im not one for lashing at cows and mine in fairness are well handled but i hate to see some young lads with sticks at marts etc that are aimlessly swinging at cattle for no reason but i have a couple of mine own that will take the piss at loading and one clip at the right time will be all it takes to persuade her to hop in and stop holding up the show... they are so cute at times its unreal!! They can nearly detect the change in tone and stick coming and they co-operate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i had a bull that jumped into my cousins field next door and he has wild cattle , tried for a week to get them all in to get my bull back but minute they see u come off at 50 km ,an old friend of my dads went in one morning with a bush of ivy and the whole cattle followed him into the yard on the first go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

6480 wrote: »
    i had a bull that jumped into my cousins field next door and he has wild cattle , tried for a week to get them all in to get my bull back but minute they see u come off at 50 km ,an old friend of my dads went in one morning with a bush of ivy and the whole cattle followed him into the yard on the first go

If you can ge a bit of fresh ivy for 2 or 3 days if he eats it put a trough with a bit of ration with it it might take a couple of weeks but you will get there if possible put a electric rope or tape fence behind him leave him there he touch it with his nose it might have to be half way back the field get a strong battery fencer just let him touch it himself he will not go near it again then start reduceing the area

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

Totally agree with both of ye here lads. We used to buy a fair share of continental weanlings a few years back and some were easily excited. Not so much wild but would do laps of the field all day long if they saw strangers trying to herd them up or if someone got a bit excited near them. Either myself or the old man used often be able to bring a bunch to the crush on our own by simply staying calm and totally ignoring any one of them that would get excited. Even had to tell the vet to stay in the van during testing or whatever a few times to stay out of the way until we had them in the pen!! :p Give them plenty time to get used to you, try even walking into the field a few times a day so they get to know you and totally ignore any animal that flys off. You'd be surprised how well it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

Bodacious wrote: »
    i agree with you on this one, im not one for lashing at cows and mine in fairness are well handled but i hate to see some young lads with sticks at marts etc that are aimlessly swinging at cattle for no reason but i have a couple of mine own that will take the piss at loading and one clip at the right time will be all it takes to persuade her to hop in and stop holding up the show... they are so cute at times its unreal!! They can nearly detect the change in tone and stick coming and they co-operate

+1 having a stick is a given, knowing when/how to use it is cop-on. Even tapping the stick off my boot can be enough to get them moving if one stops and thinks of turning, just lets them know where you are. I even find moving them in a pen all it takes it a prod of the stick on the backside and they'll generally move again. You'll always get a few that try to turn back down the yard but a few light taps on the snout will have the eyes closing and they'll (usually) stop and go back with the rest. There will be exceptions to this, like the OP's situation. Leathering the hide off them is one way to get yourtself injured.

If the op wanted to move the animal, I'd go with what others have said, introduce quiet cattle, gradually get him used to ration/meal. Walk the field a few times, dont hunt him anywhere and he'll soon get used to you moving around the place.

We had similiar when we inherited an uncles herd, cattle only familiar with seeing my uncle from a distance and only up close whne he was dropping of a bale to them during the winter ( outwintered) Getting them up the crush would've been madness, gradually got them used to coming in to the pen for a bit of meal. Left them wander out themselves after and sure enough within a few days they'd be waiting for you in the pen in the mornings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement