Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog acting weird

• 21-02-2012 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭

This is going to sound strange but here goes. I take my dog to my mothers maybe once a week, she's not a dog person, she would talk to him and give him some treats but has never touched him and hates him jumping up to say hello to her.
    Anyway this last couple of weeks the dog won't leave her house. He keeps trying to sneak back in or walking really slow to the car hoping I'll go on without him.
    Anyone any idea what this could be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Perhaps she's giving him a lot of treats to keep him quiet?

How is he in the car? Is he afraid of it or does he love it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

seamus wrote: »
    Perhaps she's giving him a lot of treats to keep him quiet?

How is he in the car? Is he afraid of it or does he love it?

He's fine in the car and always in and out of it heading off somewhere. Up until a couple of weeks ago he bounded to the door once I said we were going what puzzles me is it just happened from nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Food and treats? Maybe your mother is stuffing him with treats

She finds him too active so maybe gives treats non stop to distract him, keep him happy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Food and treats? Maybe your mother is stuffing him with treats

She finds him too active so maybe gives treats non stop to distract him, keep him happy
    No if she's has meat over from dinner shell keep some for him the last few times we were there she hasn't had any so we were joking at first saying he wasn't leaving until she gave him something nice. But it wouldn't be all the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Your Dog is in love with your Mother.

Let it be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

It might be to do with dominance.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Was she watching Any films while the dog was in the same room?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FRd6dFE2Vs&feature=related

Lol maybe he is. he's always gotten excited when he knows we are near her house

It's my first dog and I thought dogs were more loyal than to move out for the sake of a bit of meat now and again :)

I'm probably reading too much into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It might be to do with dominance.

:confused: How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

tk123 wrote: »
    :confused: How so?
    Dominance is a big factor in how dogs bond with people and other dogs. They tend to bond with people who tell them what to do. It sounds like the OP's mother is a little stricter so maybe the dog responds to that.

I think they might also tend to bond with the person they perceive as pack leader too. It's probably likely that the dog perceives the OP's mother as the senior animal in their interactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Maybe there's a bitch in the area thats in heat and your stud wants to hang about to get his end away.

Advertisement