Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 144 **BROADCAST INFO IN POST 1** **SPOILERS**

• 21-02-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭

Surprised not to see a thread on this just a few days away from it. Looks a decent card..

144-short_large.jpg

Main card

Lightweight Championship bout: United States Frankie Edgar (c) vs. United States Ben Henderson
    Light Heavyweight bout: United States Quinton Jackson vs. United States Ryan Bader
    Heavyweight bout: New Zealand Mark Hunt vs. France Cheick Kongo
    Welterweight bout: Japan Yoshihiro Akiyama vs. United States Jake Shields
    Middleweight bout: Japan Yushin Okami vs. United States Tim Boetsch
    Featherweight bout: Japan Hatsu Hioki vs. Poland Bart Palaszewski
    Lightweight bout: United States Anthony Pettis vs. United States Joe Lauzon

Preliminary card (FX)

Lightweight bout: Japan Takanori Gomi vs. Japan Eiji Mitsuoka
    Bantamweight bout: Japan Norifumi Yamamoto vs. England Vaughan Lee
    Middleweight bout: Japan Riki Fukuda vs. United States Steve Cantwell
    Bantamweight bout: Japan Takeya Mizugaki vs. United States Chris Cariaso

Preliminary card (Facebook)

Featherweight bout: China Zhang Tiequan vs. Japan Issei Tamura

Broadcast Info
    Watch UFC® 144 Prelims Live and Free on UFC.tv in the UK
    Saturday
    Feb 26 Live
    1:00AM GMT

Watch One Free Prelim Live on UFC's Facebook Page
    Sunday
    Feb 26 Live
    12:30AM GMT

UFC Japan Live in ESPN HD
    Monday
    Feb 27 Live
    3:00AM GMT

More Info

4 hour main card! Starts at the usual time (it's starting at 10am in Japan to coicide with the usual start time in the states)

Some decent fights, predictions?

Also, this may very well be the greatest UFC promo of all time..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

7am finish :eek:

Better get some extra shut eye on Saturday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

That video was brilliant. Love the south park track.

Poor Akiyama he just never got an easy run did he? I can't see him taking this one either as Shields now has something to prove after his last loss.
    Hopefully Hunt vs. Kongo is going to be a real K1 type affair. Hunt has those cinder block hands and Kongo has the great accuracy. If Hunt can stuff those takedown attempts I feel he'll get it. Loser fights Roy Nelson I'd say.
    Bader v. Jackson will be a power struggle as both try to use their strength on the other. Both will throw big overhands and and very little kicks. Expect a KO.
    When is the last time Frankie Edgar has gone into a fight with people thinking "oh yeah he has this"? It must be a very long time and this one is no different. I think Henderson may be an all round better fighter than Maynard so this will really pose a new challenge for The Answer but you got to stick up for the little guy and hate the guy that thinks he's cool chewing on a cocktail stick.
    There are some seriously delicious prospects on the undercard. Kid Yamamoto vs Vaughan Lee should be delicious and hopefully Gomi impresses in front of his home crowd.
    On another note I think i'll be recording this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

OP, could you do us a little favour and just update the post to include the broadcast info? Like where the Pre-Lims can be viewed and what time the Main Card starts on ESPN etc?

It should stop all the usual suspects on Saturday night from coming on and posting "Where can I see this fight? What time is this on at? What time is that on at?"

Cheers ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

MrStuffins wrote: »
    OP, could you do us a little favour and just update the post to include the broadcast info? Like where the Pre-Lims can be viewed and what time the Main Card starts on ESPN etc?

It should stop all the usual suspects on Saturday night from coming on and posting "Where can I see this fight? What time is this on at? What time is that on at?"

Cheers ;)

Yeah and put that in the title too if you can!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I'd say it'll feel really weird for everyone over there, going out to fight at 10am. Probably even worse than the 3am card in Brazil a few weeks ago.

I'm excited for this one, but I'm not sure I'll make it till 7am!

• Advertisement

With Cage Contenders being on Saturday, i'll be out on the piss until 7am Sunday MOrning so Sky+ will be my friend this weekend ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Akiyama v Shields, fight of the night written all over it. Can't wait for that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Looking forward to every fight on the card. Lauzon Vs Pettis is big enough to headline a fight night card and there's been very little said about it. Big fan of both these guys, gonna go with this as Fight of The Night. Still tryna get my head around the Mark Hunt one though. His last fight was painful.

Xlami wrote: »
    Looking forward to every fight on the card. Lauzon Vs Pettis is big enough to headline a fight night card and there's been very little said about it. Big fan of both these guys, gonna go with this as Fight of The Night. Still tryna get my head around the Mark Hunt one though. His last fight was painful.

Amazing looking card!

Pettis v Lauzon will be sweet but I can't see past the Main Event being FOTN!

And Re: Mark Hunt, he's a star in Japan! If i'm not mistaken, all of his fights up until his UFC debut were on Japanese card. Pride, DREAM etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Roar wrote: »
    Surprised not to see a thread on this just a few days away from it. Looks a decent card..
    Decent is underselling it a little. It's an amazing card.
    Akiyama v Shields, fight of the night written all over it. Can't wait for that one.
    I wouldn't bet on it.
    Frankie v Bendo shoudl be great.
    Plus Rampage is fired to be back in Japan. Hunt Congo should be very heavy on striking. Even Lauson Pettis has potential.

Basically, the main card is stacked and any of the others could sneak in. No fights has FoTN all over it imo.
    And Re: Mark Hunt, he's a star in Japan! If i'm not mistaken, all of his fights up until his UFC debut were on Japanese card. Pride, DREAM etc!
    He had a pretty decent K1 career in Australia, NZ, Japan also.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    He had a pretty decent K1 career in Australia, NZ, Japan also.

Indeed. I was just talking MMA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Just so I have this right, 10am in Japan is 6pm in Ireland yea?

Really don't want to miss any of this card, looks amazing. Hopefully it rivals Brazil

Just so I have this right, 10am in Japan is 6pm in Ireland yea?
    It's 9hrs ahead. So 10am in Japan is 1am in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Provider Description Date Time More Info
    ufctv.png Watch UFC® 144 Prelims Live and Free on UFC.tv in the UK
    Saturday
    Feb 26 Live

Buy Now
    facebook.png Watch One Free Prelim Live on UFC's Facebook Page
    Sunday
    Feb 26 Live

More Info
    espn.png UFC Japan Live in HD
    Monday
    Feb 27 Live

More Info
    If your ever wondering start times for prelims etc go to UFC.tv make sure the region is UK and go to how to watch for the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cheers ;)

Just report the OP the mods can do that and edit the title as well.

I suspect i wont be staying up for this either. It will be perfect for Sunday afternoon though.

Incredible looking card. Shields Akiyama, Pettis Lauzon and Edgar Bendo all will be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

gimmick wrote: »
    Just report the OP the mods can do that and edit the title as well.

I suspect i wont be staying up for this either. It will be perfect for Sunday afternoon though.

Incredible looking card. Shields Akiyama, Pettis Lauzon and Edgar Bendo all will be great.
    Is it on Sunday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Cheers ;)

Done and Done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Niall0 wrote: »
    Is it on Sunday night?

Saturday night/Sunday morning.

It's 9hrs ahead. So 10am in Japan is 1am in Ireland

Cheers Mellor. Not sure how I calculated the time so wrong :o

Now I've to stick an extra hour on that for Malta times :(. Fairly safe to say I will not be staying up for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Now I've to stick an extra hour on that for Malta times :(. Fairly safe to say I will not be staying up for this.

Lightweight :D

• Advertisement

Roar wrote: »
    Done and Done!

Good laaaaaaaaad!!

By the way, that fan promo in the OP is the best one i've ever seen! Just brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Really lookin forward to this. What an amazing card!
    I'll be at Cage Contender on Saturday and I'll probably be out on a late one after it so I'll be recording it and watching it hungover on Sunday! :D

I'm a big big fan of Frankie Edgar and I can't wait for this fight. I think Bendo is his toughest opponent yet and could be dangerous for Edgar.
    Frankie has a great chin but he always somehow looks as though he's in trouble and gets rocked but then comes back with a brilliant performance.
    It's a really well matched fight- both have great wrestling, both are bjj brown belts, both have great stand-up. It has the makings of a great fight.

Cheers Mellor. Not sure how I calculated the time so wrong :o

Its working out great in terms of time for me.
    12pm Sunday to 4pm.
    Midday MMA in the pub, makes he happy

I'm predict a Frankie win here.
    Also, I'm predicting a new ring girl after Chandella was cut during the week.

My money is on Maria Kamiyama to keep the locals happy ;)

Miss%2BUniverse%2BJapan%2B2011%2BIS%2BMaria%2BKamiyama%2BMiss%2BUniverse%2BJapan%2B2011%2BIS%2BMaria%2BKamiyama%2BMiss%2BUniverse%2BJapan%2B2011%2BIS%2BMaria%2BKamiyama%2BMiss%2BUniverse%2BJapan%2B2011%2BIS%2BMaria%2BKamiyama%2B6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'm predict a Frankie win here.
    Also, I'm predicting a new ring girl after Chandella was cut during the week.

My money is on Maria Kamiyama to keep the locals happy ;)

From what I've read she's not cut
    http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2012/02/follow-up-chandella-powell-not-fired-apologizes-for-softcore-past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

the first post is confusing
    Watch UFC® 144 Prelims Live and Free on UFC.tv in the UK
    Saturday
    Feb 26 Live

Watch One Free Prelim Live on UFC's Facebook Page
    Sunday
    Feb 26 Live

UFC Japan Live in ESPN HD
    Monday
    Feb 27 Live
    so its on saturday, sunday and monday????? I know its a big card and all but still i think there might be a mistake :p

So when the hell is it for us in ireland? saturday, sunday or monday morning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

adamski8 wrote: »
    So when the hell is it for us in ireland? saturday, sunday or monday morning??

Saturday night/Sunday morning just like 99% of every other UFC PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Why is there always so much confusion about ufc days and times-its pretty much the same for everyevent for years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

pauldoo wrote: »
    Why is there always so much confusion about ufc days and times-its pretty much the same for everyevent for years
    well the OP stating 3 different days doesnt help things!
    i seem to remember a ufc on last thursday night and not so long ago 1 being on a sunday so it does happen its not saturday night!
    this being in japan might have meant a different starting time too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

adamski8 wrote: »
    well the OP stating 3 different days doesnt help things!
    i seem to remember a ufc on last thursday night and not so long ago 1 being on a sunday so it does happen its not saturday night!
    this being in japan might have meant a different starting time too

not a full proper UFC card, maybe a lesser Spike type event which they have thrown on the odd Thurs or Friday

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Lightweight

Harsh words. Can't argue with the truth though :)
    pauldoo wrote: »

My excuse is that I moved country to a new time zone :D

I'm also a retard at times :o

p to the e wrote: »

May not be, I still expect to see a Japanese girl ringside, so I'm going with the one I picked earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Think 'twill be a job of watching the UFC.tv fights Saturday night and then the main card Sunday morning for me, can't wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 trev77

Cannot wait for this card!

• Advertisement

May not be, I still expect to see a Japanese girl ringside, so I'm going with the one I picked earlier

didn't Dana say this the other day? That Maria Kamiyama would be a ringcard girl?

You must've heard hm say it in your sleep!

UFC 144 is on ESPN this weekend, and we want to make sure that fans with BT Vision and TopUp TV are aware in advance that you may not see the end of the event. This is due to the time of the event (being held in Japan) as the ESPN channel is not available on BT and TopUpTV 24/7. However, UFC 144 will be re-aired on ESPN on Tuesday at Midnight in its entirety, and will also be made available through BT Vision On-Demand on Monday.

ESPN subscribers on SKY and Virgin will not have any program interruptions, with this weekend’s event being televised live in its entirety starting at 3am GMT.

What a shambles, anyone with BT Vision/Top Up TV isn't likely to get the main event (and possibly the fight below)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Has there been a countdown or primetime show for this?
    There is an extended preview up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dampage has failed to make weight, he came in at 211, 6lbs over.

The fight will go ahead and he's forfeited 20% of his fight purse (est $50,000) to Bader

Linky : http://mmajunkie.com/news/27549/ufc-144-live-and-official-weigh-in-results.mma

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I'm going with benson, bader, and Kongo.

looking forward to this card best one in a while imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 seamusmurph

jayteecork wrote: »
    I'm going with benson, bader, and Kongo.

looking forward to this card best one in a while imo.
    6lbs over! Disgraceful in fairness. He obviously knew well in advance he wasn't going to make it. 20 percent is way too little!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Im thinking it will be either Frankie by decision or Henderson by sub. Im actually quite looking forward to Akiyama vs Shields, Im a fan of Sexyama despite the fact that he uses too much of his sexy and not enough of his Judo. Im also curious how Shields will look I still think he can be a presence in the division if he's focused.
    Rampage sorta seems like he's just showing up for the pay checks lately, hopefully he'll have some fire in his belly for this one. Missing weight is a bad start though.
    Kongo vs Hunt could be a war. Hopefully not a gassed sloppy one though, Kongo probably has the edge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Bendo looked seriously drawn out at the weigh ins, or am i imagining things?

Really looking forward to this card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Wouldn't mind seeing Rich Franklin get smacked the fcuk up to be honest. He's a little bitch, a nothing fighter.

As regards the fight, I think Bendo will win quite easily, don't give edgar much chance. Wanna see him lose anyway so he can drop down and fight Jose.

Hard to call the co, especially after this latest incident. I think bader will probably edge it just on account of being in better shape and condition for the fight, by all accounts page is not 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

horsemeat wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind seeing Rich Franklin get smacked the fcuk up to be honest. He's a little bitch, a nothing fighter.

Weird, because Rampage is arguably the biggest cry baby in MMA. He'll sit there and talk **** about everyone to hype a fight and laugh about it, yet the second the other fighter talks back to can visibly see Rampage get all upset.

Prime moment being the Jones build up.

Franklin is there to talk about fights, if a fighter misses weight the constant question is how motivated are they...so people are not supposed to ask that just because it's Rampage?

I miss Pride Rampage, as many people do, not because of the fighting but because he took himself less seriously and was less of a dick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson said an undisclosed injury contributed to his inability to make weight for tonight's UFC 144 event.

He also has a problem with FUEL TV guest analyst and fellow UFC fighter Rich Franklin, who questioned how seriously Jackson took his fight camp.

"Rich Franklin needs to watch his mouth before I smack him the next time I see him," Jackson said during a FUEL TV weigh-in special.

Jackson (32-9 MMA, 7-3 UFC) weighed 211 pounds – five pounds heavier than the 206-pound cutoff for the light-heavyweight division – for his bout with Ryan Bader (13-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC). It co-headlines tonight's UFC 144 event, which airs live from Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. (The pay-per-view event takes place Sunday in Japan but airs live on Saturday night in the U.S. due to the time difference.)

Jackson didn't want to disclose the nature of his injury and give Bader an advantage. However, he said he's healed, and he said it doesn't represent a lack of effort in camp, which is why Franklin's comments bothered him.

"He's a fighter just like I'm a fighter," he said. "He should watch he says. You don't question if a fighter is taking a fight seriously or not. I take all my fights seriously. I'm tired of people saying that."

Jackson, a former star of Japan's once-mighty but now-defunct PRIDE Fighting Championships, continually bowed to the Japanese fans as a sign of contrition. Despite missing weight, the fan favorite received many cheers.

Jackson said he had little option and couldn't cut any additional weight despite his efforts. In fact, he said he's fighting against doctor's orders.

"Well, I wasn't going to say anything," said Jackson, who suggested he started his cut from 232 pounds. "I thought I was going to make the weight, but I got [an injury] in my camp that kind of hindered me from doing a lot of running. But I didn't want to miss this fight because this fight's so important to me. I fought so hard to get it. So I said forget it. I'm just going to man up and still make the fight.

"I didn't know I wasn't going to make weight until a couple hours [before weigh-ins]."

Jackson was the only fighter who didn't make weight. He was forced to surrendered 20 percent of his fight purse as a fine

LINKY : http://mmajunkie.com/news/27587/ufc-144s-rampage-blames-injury-for-missing-weight-takes-issue-with-franklin.mma

Words can't describe how much i hate this guy, he's even started with the excuses in case he loses tonight. If your not fit, don't fight, pure and simple.

He slags off most other fighters yet when Rich does the same it's wrong??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

As regards the fight, I think Bendo will win quite easily, don't give edgar much chance. Wanna see him lose anyway so he can drop down and fight Jose.

Hard to call the co, especially after this latest incident. I think bader will probably edge it just on account of being in better shape and condition for the fight, by all accounts page is not 100%

Most ridiculous and uneducated post I've ever seen on this, how can you say Rich Franklin is a nothing fighter? The second best middleweight of all time, has a much better finishing rate then Rampage. Always comes out looking to finish. As for being a bitch? He knocked Lidell out with with a broken arm, also dunno if you've ever seen the Aaron Brink fight, Rich was sick as a dog and dominated a much bigger opponent until an unfortunate incident.

He's also one of the nicest lads in the sport, and a great advocate of MMA so I'd love to see why you want to see a legend of the sport get "smacked around"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i think you're underestimating Frankie Edgar here, and besides underestimating him, you're also being very disrespectful to him!!!

Frankie may be a complete and utter munchkin for a 155lber, but the fact of the matter is he's beaten everybody of significance in that weight class to date!!

he beat Bj Penn twice, and rather easily i might say. He beat the hell out of the champion that preceded Penn in Sean Sherk. He then drew with Gray Maynard who was unbeaten and who also beat Frankie from pillar to post in the opening round. Frankie showed courage that IMO has never been seen before in the Octagon to come back and draw that fight.

then there was the 3rd fight between these guys. Round 1 was a carbon copy of their opening round in their 2nd fight. Yep, the big 170lb Maynard beat the hell out of Frankie, but yet again, Frankie showed why he wears the gold strap and he came back and beat Maynard up, he literally beat him like a red haired step child.

that fight was again IMO, arguably the greatest fight in UFC championship history.

im not dissing your opinion on the out come of the fight. But please, Frankie Edgar deserves a wee bit more respect than that!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement