Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 144 **BROADCAST INFO IN POST 1** **SPOILERS**

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Poor again from rampage....he must have got distracted by baders fantastic abs.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Hide the Rum

If Henderson wins then I got destroyed with my picks tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Surely this is the end of Rampages career?

Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

that fight was a knock to this card's 'event of the year' credentials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Thought he was going to switch it on when he did the Rampage slam....then nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

bendo coming out to lyrics I had to learn in primary school. Well played

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Surely this is the end of Rampages career?

Way over the top that.

I see this fight a bit like the Forrest v. Shogun fight, where a hungrier fighter comes up against someone clearly not in shape. No reason Page couldn't get fit again, if he does he's still at worst a top 6-8 LHW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

el dude wrote: »
    Bit OTT no? I see this fight a bit like the Forrest v. Shogun fight, where a hungrier fighter comes up against someone clearly not in shape.

Too often the case with Rampage. He offers nothing and is just happy to get his paycheck at this stage. Should pack it in for everyone's benefit.

Come on Frankie!!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Frankie has changed his tactics for this fight... he decided not to get the sh*t beaten out of him in the first :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Its not frankie edgar fight without a bloody nose

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, he decided to move it to the second round ...

Cant decide who is winning this, great fight though!

this is a really hard fight to a score

I think to take a belt you have to win it cleanly and clearly so I think Edgar will keep his belt but man, that was some fight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Great great fight.

I think the leg kick in the second round, and the damage ( as opposed to the ratio of strikes thrown/landed and number of strikes) won it for Bendo.

Well deserved win, poor Frankie (I'm well biased :D).

Frankie vs. Aldo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I actually had Edgar winning rounds 1, 2 and 5

But I wouldn't complain about the decision, I'm always of the thinking that if a fight is that close, it really can go either way

I know its all everyone says about Edgar, but he really should drop a weight division.

Could you imagine a fight with him and Aldo????

Well done to Bendo. I thought he deserved it anyway. Fair play to Bader too, basically in Rampages hometown and still took the decision away decisively, must have had a good work ethic coming in, I'm sure the 20% purse bonus from Rampage was nice too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I had frankie 1, 2 & 5. Disappointed in that result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

that upkick! I left a scream out of me when it landed.

Close fight, one of those fights that could have gone either way and I wouldn't have mind. Really really enjoyed it.

Had to laugh at Benson just before the fifth round when his coach asked him if he had five good minutes left..

"I GOT FIFTEEN!"

And he meant it too, he looked as fresh as a daisy.

Frankie to drop to 145?

Any reason given for Rampage's not making weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Roar wrote: »
    Any reason given for Rampage's not making weight?

He says he was injured leading up to the fight and couldn't run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just finished watching the event now. Some really good fights.
    I'm gutted for Frankie. I don't think he fully recovered from that up-kick. But he just seems too small for people like Bendo.

I think Rampage might be done with mma now. He's just not good enough to keep up with the other guys in the sport any more.
    I dunno how Baders shoulder didn't pop from that slam though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Great night of fights, biggest upset for me was Hunt, Kongo did not get as lucky this time as he was with Barry.

Have to give Henderson the nod in the Edgar matchup, more varied in attack, fresher, more composed throughout the fight. Not to take away from the fact Edgar is a tough bastard.

Most disappointed by Rampage, I do believe he was injured, we have seen him gas before but he always makes weight. Him and Shogun makes alot of sense to me as a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

Here's an interview with Mark Hunt. He is asking to fight on the Australia card in six days but they won't let him. What a legend. He's worse than Nick Diaz for answers in this interview.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2012/2/26/2825392/mark-hunt-delivers-knockout-at-second-home

Had it 3-2 for Edgar and Dana did also which obviously doesn't amount to much but there's no way I would have had it 4-1 to Bendo. That upkick really made me wince.

Bader match wasn't exactly pretty to watch as he did his grinding out a win but sure he got what he came for.

What a comeback final round from Tim Boetsch. I think Joe Rogan had an orgasm during it.

Was really shocked to hear that Joe Lauzon has the second biggest number of "....of the night" wins after Chris Lytle. He went out in style.

p to the e wrote: »
    Here's an interview with Mark Hunt. He is asking to fight on the Australia card in six days but they won't let him. What a legend. He's worse than Nick Diaz for answers in this interview.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2012/2/26/2825392/mark-hunt-delivers-knockout-at-second-home

Had it 3-2 for Edgar and Dana did also which obviously doesn't amount to much but there's no way I would have had it 4-1 to Bendo. That upkick really made me wince.

Bader match wasn't exactly pretty to watch as he did his grinding out a win but sure he got what he came for.

What a comeback final round from Tim Boetsch. I think Joe Rogan had an orgasm during it.

Was really shocked to hear that Joe Lauzon has the second biggest number of "....of the night" wins after Chris Lytle. He went out in style.

No Joe had his orgasm during the 1st round of the hoki fight
    "Look at the technique!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    No Joe had his orgasm during the 1st round of the hoki fight
    "Look at the technique!!!"

Joe Rogan is an absolute fool though.

at the end of the second round in the Akiyama-Shields fight he said something like "another dominant round by Akiyama"

unless you call blocking Shields (shocking technique) punches with your face dominance, then that proves rogan was clearly speaking through his A-Hole.

he just spouts what ever comes to his mind first. He needs to actually think about what he's going to say because 9/10 its complete scutter

Pretty ridiculous to ask about he Oz card. He was never going to be allowed. And its nto as if he hasn't already done that.

Was really shocked to hear that Joe Lauzon has the second biggest number of "....of the night" wins after Chris Lytle. He went out in style.[/QUOTE]
    Went out in style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Mellor wrote: »
    Went out in style?
    I presume he is talking about lytle submitting hardy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What's the story wit Kongo, the guy has one of the best physique's i've ever seen (Behind Chuck's 8-pack), is huge, mean looking, pure muscle, yet has never really impressed in the cage.

Helwani is probably the best interviewer I've seen for getting the fighters to open up and talk freely in front of a camera, tends to get the best from the people he interviews. Hunt is having absolutely none of it there, though at the end you see he is watching one of the live fights.

kfc comment got him tho ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just saw this now (after the extreme drinkage after Cage Contenders yesterday).

Amazing card! I had Frankie winning 3 of the 5 rounds but that might've been just coz I was kinda pulling for him. Can't argue with the decision really.

Rampage looked ridiculously average, one dimensional and lost........ shocking!

Takeya Mizugaki was paid his win bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some takedown by Sexy

4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I still wince every time I see it

benson_henderson_upkick_gif_by_hurricane2k-d4r27ww.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

very good card.

Akiyama and Rmapage were very dissapointing. I think if Akiyama had have been more agressive he would have taken it. i think he could be a force at welterweight, but he doesnt seem to have the motivation. Shields' standup is shockin, i dont think he will be able to do much at welterweight, if he cant take you down hes in trouble, like v ellenberger, GSP and its a good job Akiyama wasnt agressive.

Getting bored of rampage at this stage.

Pity about edgar, i thought he might have won it. He was so much smaller than henderson. Henderson is class and the rematch against pettis should be awesome.

I always like rogan and goldie, but they're getting on my nerves lately. Goldie talks absolute ****e. I dont know enough about the technicalities of BJJ etc but i would say Rogan isnt far behind, he gets over excited, best comeback of all time???? its up there with the machida era!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Great card. Main event was awesome.

Joe Rogan should piss off. As stated above he's speaking out of his ass. Asking Frankie Edgar about drooping down two minutes after he lost a close fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Some takedown by Sexy

4.gif

Doesn't look so good in slow mo.

Pity Jake Shields won that fight.
    He must be the most boring fighter ever along with Rampage, Frank Mir, and Rich Franklin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

I had benson henderson cakewalking that fight. called it beforehand and my number came up trump. won a tidy purse on him as well.

genuinely can't see how anyone thinks frankie edgar won that fight. they are obviously blinded by fanboyism.

edgar got absolutely schooled, he had nothing to offer benson henderson.

most one sided fight i've seen in a long time.

horsemeat wrote: »
    most one sided fight i've seen in a long time.

Yeah, i'd gotten the impression you don't watch many fights already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

The problem for Edgar is his size and the punishment he has taken in his last 3 or so fights.

He was a lot smaller than Maynard & Henderson.

His bouncebackability is reducing. In his recent battles he has always been pretty battered and I would fear the damage it could do to him longer term.

Needs to drop a weight class.

Henderson is a beast, and I would love to see him against Showtime soon.

• Advertisement

The problem for Edgar is his size and the punishment he has taken in his last 3 or so fights.

He was a lot smaller than Maynard & Henderson.

His bouncebackability is reducing. In his recent battles he has always been pretty battered and I would fear the damage it could do to him longer term.

Needs to drop a weight class.

Henderson is a beast, and I would love to see him against Showtime soon.

The size difference was massive. I felt sorry for Frankie because despite him being the undisputed king of 155...... people were saying he should move down while he was still champion.

He's definitely undersized compared to a lot of 155ers. I'd love to see him drop down.

I wouldn't attribute the performance on Saturday night to reduced bouncebackability or past damage, i just think Henderson's in your face style and power won him the fight. I think had last weekend's Bendo fought pre-BJ Frankie the outcome would've been the same!

it was a great fight. I'd love to see a rematch but i don't think they'll bounce Pettis twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Just saw this now (after the extreme drinkage after Cage Contenders yesterday).

I had Frankie winning 3 of the 5 rounds but that might've been just coz I was kinda pulling for him.

Rampage looked ridiculously average, one dimensional and lost........ shocking!
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, i'd gotten the impression you don't watch many fights already!

probably watch much more mma than you, am certainly more knowledgeable on the subject anyway given the nature of some of your posts. anyway i'd rather not get into the whole ''I know more about mma than you do'', because a) I already know I do and,
    b) Honestly I enjoy your mal-aligned, over inflated sense of self importance that you tar your posts with. Really does make me think that evolution has halted ceaselessly, for if it it was still in action surely he forums wouldn't be filled with the sort of tripe posts espoused by you.

Serious case of hypocrisy coming from you as well. You admit yourself in the above bolded that you had frankie edgar winning 3 rounds but only because you wanted him to win. I seem to recall you lambasting me accusing me of doing the same thing (which I wasn't doing) during the Nick Diaz Condit fight.

Secondly your point on Rampage. Pathetic remark for any mma fan to make. Rampage had a serious knee injury as detailed after the fight. He fought like a true warrior for his japanese fans, and for his wife and family who also hail from the land of the rising sun. I mean if you had said he looked poor on the basis of his previous fights I would perhaps agree with you, but to judge him on one fight when he was injured shows a genuine lack of foresight and intellect on your part when it comes to mma. easy know you've never competed at any level in the sport either, your posts are littered with an ignorance usually seen on the likes of sherdog where the keyboard warriors normally reside.

Next time, try watching the fights without the blur of alcohol, or comfort of a hangover and you might start to appreciate the sport, those who compete in it and the judging criteria used to determine a winner. ;)

tCp90.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

^^^

All it needed was a gif to make this more Sherdoggy.

One guy is going to tell the other that he was at UFC 1 any second now.

probably watch much more mma than you, am certainly more knowledgeable on the subject anyway given the nature of some of your posts. anyway i'd rather not get into the whole ''I know more about mma than you do'', because a) I already know I do and,
    b) Honestly I enjoy your mal-aligned, over inflated sense of self importance that you tar your posts with. Really does make me think that evolution has halted ceaselessly, for if it it was still in action surely he forums wouldn't be filled with the sort of tripe posts espoused by you.

Serious case of hypocrisy coming from you as well. You admit yourself in the above bolded that you had frankie edgar winning 3 rounds but only because you wanted him to win. I seem to recall you lambasting me accusing me of doing the same thing (which I wasn't doing) during the Nick Diaz Condit fight.

Secondly your point on Rampage. Pathetic remark for any mma fan to make. Rampage had a serious knee injury as detailed after the fight. He fought like a true warrior for his japanese fans, and for his wife and family who also hail from the land of the rising sun. I mean if you had said he looked poor on the basis of his previous fights I would perhaps agree with you, but to judge him on one fight when he was injured shows a genuine lack of foresight and intellect on your part when it comes to mma. easy know you've never competed at any level in the sport either, your posts are littered with an ignorance usually seen on the likes of sherdog where the keyboard warriors normally reside.

Next time, try watching the fights without the blur of alcohol, or comfort of a hangover and you might start to appreciate the sport, those who compete in it and the judging criteria used to determine a winner. ;)

To be fair, you've had a couple of arguments with MrStuffins on this forum and if he makes a point he usually backs it up with a decent argument. Whereas you seem to attack the poster and make silly patronising remarks without backing it up.
    No need to jump down peoples throats just because they don't happen to share the same opinion as you. Just sayin!

I think it's one excuse after another with Rampage, he's had trouble making weight in the past and it happened again. Did he work with Dolce this time around? I bet Dolce didn't let him wear the t-shirt to his failed weigh in :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

I think it's one excuse after another with Rampage, he's had trouble making weight in the past and it happened again. Did he work with Dolce this time around? I bet Dolce didn't let him wear the t-shirt to his failed weigh in :P

Was listening to Jordan Breen podcast today and he said Mike Dolce wasn't with Rampage so there maybe something there. Just on a side note he scored it 3 - 2 for Edgar.

Also i think i remember reading somewhere that Fightmetric gave the striking total to Bendo whilst Compustrike gave it to Edgar. Weird. Not a fan of Benson. He smiles like he's been sexually abused and is trying to cover it up.

I'm reading around a few places and some people think Akiyama should have gotten the nod. I thought Shields got it personally even if it wasn't the most impressive performance.

Some people thinking Barry should fight Hunt next but I'm not sure as he's on a 3 fight win streak. Maybe Travis Browne would be a better match up. Frankly if he's matched up with someone that's a straight up grappler he's already lost the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mrstuffins and horsemeat end of your argument, leave it at that-any further posts on this thread is not to be about each other.

Ban hammer at the ready ;)

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

tell you what, there should be some kind of rule on this forum putting posts to bed when people say things like:

'you obviously know very little about fighting,' 'you have clearly never watched x,y,z,' many fights etc. prelude to trolling imo. Comes across as very superior sounding, trying to downplay someone else's knowledge, really prevalent in this forum tbh.

Where to start...
    It's pretty ridiculous to say "i'd rather not get into the whole ''I know more about mma than you do", when you mention it twice in the same sentence.
    Some of your posts appear knowledgable, sometimes it looks like you jsut want a reaction.
    Regardless, how much MMA you have watched means nothing as there are people who have watched in for 10+ years and are still clueless.
    That whole pissing contest has no place in discussion. I don't see the need for it tbh.
    That's not what he said. The first sign of either somebody thats either taking the piss, or isn't confidant in his arguement is when they misrepresent the other persons point. Strawman.
    I had Frankie winning 3-2, I had money on it also. I've said else where that I wanted to re-watch it without anything at stake to score again. I don't believe i'd be influenced, betting for me is separate. But I like to rewatch all close fights in hindsight, money involved or not.
    Secondly your point on Rampage. Pathetic remark for any mma fan to make. Rampage had a serious knee injury as detailed after the fight. He fought like a true warrior for his japanese fans, and for his wife and family who also hail from the land of the rising sun. I mean if you had said he looked poor on the basis of his previous fights I would perhaps agree with you, but to judge him on one fight when he was injured shows a genuine lack of foresight and intellect on your part when it comes to mma.
    He was injuried during his camp which is why he wasn't running and came in heavy when starting to cut weight, 232lbs. But he siad his injury was fully healed, this may or may not have been true, but we have to believe him.
    He hasn't look as great in any of his recent fights. He is past his prime.
    easy know you've never competed at any level in the sport either, your posts are littered with an ignorance usually seen on the likes of sherdog where the keyboard warriors normally reside.
    Does competing in the sport automatically make you point more valid? I don't think so. A knowledgeable person will obvious gain more insight if they have also competed. But I don't think it applies to every fighter ever.

Have you competed? Honestly curious, as you brought it up.
    I watch the fights live, at 12pm. Not in a drunken blur. (Even in the pub, i'd only be having my first few drinks by the ME). And I am aware of the judging criteria. Yet I regularly disagree with some Judges. In many cases they simply get it wrong. And I am confidant that I know more about MMA that some Judges. Namely, boxing juges migrated by the AC who don't appreciate all the aspects.

You said that it was the most one sided fight you have seen in a long time. Obviously you are using hyperbole for dramatic effect, thats fine. I understand that. There is nothing wrong with thinking Henderson won. You don't actually believe it was extremely one-sided do you? How did you score it.

Anyway, I look forward to actual discussion, and not "I know more than you" nonsense. I'd like to think that we are bit better here than the nonsense you see on other sites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement