Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 144 **BROADCAST INFO IN POST 1** **SPOILERS**

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sorry if my post came across like i was saying I knew more than Horsemeat about MMA. It was not meant like that.

I'd explain why, but i've been asked not to on thread my the mods so I won't! Mellor said a lot of what I was going to say anyway

^^^

All it needed was a gif to make this more Sherdoggy.

One guy is going to tell the other that he was at UFC 1 any second now.

15313880.jpg

I think it's one excuse after another with Rampage, he's had trouble making weight in the past and it happened again. Did he work with Dolce this time around? I bet Dolce didn't let him wear the t-shirt to his failed weigh in :P

I think Rampage's injury excuse was probably legit. But it's more than injuries Rampage has to worry about. He just doesn't want to change his style! He even said in a recent interview that he doesn't bother learning BJJ because he finds it boring. Well guess what f*ck-nuts, BJJ happens to be a pretty important part of MMA!

His loss was of absolutely no surprise to anyone. he just doesn't have what it takes to keep in there with the new breed of fighter and it's not as if he wants to improve and adapt to their style! He looked just about as poor as I was expecting the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »

I'm not too sure about that.

Of course he CAN beat anyone because he's that kinda fighter, the one who throws big bombs. But i've seen absolutely nothing from Rampage since he beat Dan Henderson.

He beat old man Wandi, he decisioned Jardine and didn't look good, he split-decisioned Machida, a great result yes, but didn't look good in doing it. He beat Matt Hammill who was VERY poor that night and has never been Top 10. Losses to Rashad, Jones and Bader all showed he's not up there with the top guys. He's living on past glorys.

the current incarnation of Rampage is not even Top 5 LHW IMO! Again, he's a one-trick pony who has no desire to master the skills the top guys in his weight class. if it was a "Let's stand in front of each other and swing punches" contest, he'd probably beat most guys. But it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

MrStuffins wrote: »
    the current incarnation of Rampage is not even Top 5 LHW IMO!

I would have assume that's a given that he isn't top tier anymore.

For me its
    1. Jones
    2. Evans
    3. Henderson
    4. Machida
    5. Shogun
    6. Bader
    7. Davis
    8. Rampage

I put them in that order based on Machida taking a round from Jones, Shogun's war with Hendo, Bader of hid biggest win, Davis on previous form, and Rampage on general lack luster fights

Well I think you need more than TD defence in order to be a top guy.

And it's not as if when he's up on his feet he's miles ahead of everyone else in the division either. I mean, Chuck was a master of using his TD defence in order to keep fights standing........ but that was because he was miles ahead of most (if not everyone) at 205 on the feet and KOd everybody. Rampage is not as dangerous as Chuck was back in the day IMO.

As I said, i've seen nothing of him to show me he's top tier!
    Mellor wrote: »
    I would have assume that's a given that he isn't top tier anymore.

For me its
    1. Jones
    2. Evans
    3. Henderson
    4. Machida
    5. Shogun
    6. Bader
    7. Davis
    8. Rampage

I put them in that order based on Machida taking a round from Jones, Shogun's war with Hendo, Bader of hid biggest win, Davis on previous form, and Rampage on general lack luster fights

I'd have it almost the same, with Rampage in 7th and Davis in 8th. But he's definitely not Top 5! (BTW, just looking at that Top 5....... it's a pretty strong Top 5)

• Advertisement

Well you'd have to then put Bader above Rampage, so at best if you DID put him in the Top 5 you'd have him at No.5.

I used to be a Rampage fan. Thought he was a real cool and funny guy. But then after he based himself in the States, his true colours really shone through, especially on TUF. He's a very unlikable character IMO!

Not that this has anything to do with his ranking, just sayin' is all :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd have it almost the same, with Rampage in 7th and Davis in 8th. But he's definitely not Top 5! (BTW, just looking at that Top 5....... it's a pretty strong Top 5)
    I was going to rank them joint 7th (but didn't for clarity). Which imo they are.
    It's not all top tier. They are the bulk of the top 10. But its quite clear that there are three groups.

The champion, the challangers and the former challangers.

There is a very clear separation, based on current form, between Evans, Henderson & Machida, and Bader, Davis & Rampage. Shogun can swing to either group, as he has lost, but impressively.

Yup!

Shogun is one of those guys that, should he be on top form for a while, could easily be up there at No.2 at LHW

But nobody is touching Jones for a while IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I used to be a Rampage fan. Thought he was a real cool and funny guy. But then after he based himself in the States, his true colours really shone through, especially on TUF. He's a very unlikable character IMO!

I'm the exact same. In TUF when I saw he can't take a joke (but loves to dish it out!) I realised he is a horrible diva.

And for someone who claims to be really into Jesus, he doesn't have a very Jesus-like attitude! The guy needs a wake up call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

cowzerp wrote: »
    Mrstuffins and horsemeat end of your argument, leave it at that-any further posts on this thread is not to be about each other.

Ban hammer at the ready ;)

Fair enough Paul, sorry for dragging things off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Mellor wrote: »
    Where to start...
    It's pretty ridiculous to say "i'd rather not get into the whole ''I know more about mma than you do", when you mention it twice in the same sentence.
    Some of your posts appear knowledgable, sometimes it looks like you jsut want a reaction.
    Regardless, how much MMA you have watched means nothing as there are people who have watched in for 10+ years and are still clueless.
    That whole pissing contest has no place in discussion. I don't see the need for it tbh.

You're right it is ridiculous to get into such low brow exchanges. It was the other poster who said something along the lines of ''easy know you don't watch much MMA'' just because they didn't agree with my opinion on the fight. So in fact, I wasn't the first person to fire such diatribes.

That's not what he said. The first sign of either somebody thats either taking the piss, or isn't confidant in his arguement is when they misrepresent the other persons point. Strawman.
    I had Frankie winning 3-2, I had money on it also. I've said else where that I wanted to re-watch it without anything at stake to score again. I don't believe i'd be influenced, betting for me is separate. But I like to rewatch all close fights in hindsight, money involved or not.

I had Ben Henderson winning 4 rounds to 1.

On viewing I thought frankie outstruck him (although fightmetric said otherwise) however they seemed to be weak shots with little or no impact. Edgar looked like he was all huff and no puff. Henderson appeared to be very clinical with the majority of his shots which did a lot of damage, edgar's shots
    just didn't seem to have any power or strength behind them, and it showed; they had pretty much no effect on ben who was physically unscathed after the fight. did henderson even have any marks/cuts or bruises on him? looked like he wasnt even in a fight.

He was injuried during his camp which is why he wasn't running and came in heavy when starting to cut weight, 232lbs. But he siad his injury was fully healed, this may or may not have been true, but we have to believe him.
    He hasn't look as great in any of his recent fights. He is past his prime.

I agree with your point. However the point I was arguing against was that Rampage looked a finished fighter based on his performance on saturday. I said that statement was quite unjust given the fact that rampage was far from 100% on saturday.

Does competing in the sport automatically make you point more valid? I don't think so. A knowledgeable person will obvious gain more insight if they have also competed. But I don't think it applies to every fighter ever.

Have you competed? Honestly curious, as you brought it up.

I train MMA now more as a hobby,but in the past competed in MMA league a few times and am a blue belt in jiu jitsu. Of course competing doesn't make you more knowledgeable, but it does allow you to see the fight in a different manner, and see things you can't appreciate just from watching on the television having never actually rolled.

I watch the fights live, at 12pm. Not in a drunken blur. (Even in the pub, i'd only be having my first few drinks by the ME). And I am aware of the judging criteria. Yet I regularly disagree with some Judges. In many cases they simply get it wrong. And I am confidant that I know more about MMA that some Judges. Namely, boxing juges migrated by the AC who don't appreciate all the aspects.

You said that it was the most one sided fight you have seen in a long time. Obviously you are using hyperbole for dramatic effect, thats fine. I understand that. There is nothing wrong with thinking Henderson won. You don't actually believe it was extremely one-sided do you? How did you score it.

I thought it was a clear victory for Henderson. Obviously it wasn't entirely one sided, but I still thought Henderson looked a level above Frankie in athleticism and technique, and physically looked a demon. Frankie didn't seem to have much in the way to offer as an attack, apart from his usual trying to pick shots and move in and out which wasn't working. His takedowns didn't ever lead onto much more.

I think I gave frankie the 3rd, and the other four to ben. I could see how you could argue giving the 5th to frankie seeing as he knocked him down.

Reminded me of faber cruz 2. can't see how anyone could argue a faber win. a lot of people wanted urijah to win and then they view the fight differently because of bias. A lot of people wanted frankie to win and saw the fight differently thus, their bias clouding their objective viewing of the fight.

Anyway, I look forward to actual discussion, and not "I know more than you" nonsense. I'd like to think that we are bit better here than the nonsense you see on other sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Only got around to watching Frankie and Bendo last night, some fight! Became kind of hard to watch though seeing Edgar so powerless. He did some job catching all those kicks but just couldn't do anything with it. It was just like watching 2 different weight division fighters. Bendo deserved to win and Frankie will have to drop Feather as I can't see him ever causing problems for Benson.

Frankie is such a great fighter tho, hope he comes back soon.

I saw that up kick in a GIF on this thread earlier but didn't realise how much damage it did until he walked back to his corner and he was split open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Only got around to watching this myself earlier tonight, main event best so far this year..... hell the whole card was the best ufc for ages.

Advertisement