Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chris brown - next MJ?

• 21-02-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭

Have u lot sene this video?

This guy can dance!

mad talent. yes i know his a wife beater but you cant say he has no talent!

Leave Open 15 votes

Yes Sir
    0% 0 votes
    Close
    26% 4 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    73% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The next MJ? Nobody was and ever will be the next MJ, anybody that copies his style is unoriginal, i was never a big MJ Fan but he was phenomenal and he did things for music nobody else could, chris brown is shít imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Aaaaand, this ain't Hip-Hop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Well he does "rap" as well! Plus i cant find general pop/rnb music section!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I dunno.

MJ was pretty much the greatest Basketball player of all time! And I don't think i've ever seen Chris Brown even play Basketball before.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭VagnerLove

it's fucked up to say Chris Brown is the next MJ, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

amazing dancer, brilliant performer, but nah, there will only ever be one MJ.
    chris brown being a huge MJ fan would agree im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Man I had exact same thread last week. CB is the man.

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Man I had exact same thread last week. CB is the man.

he may be a good pop performer in many peoples eyes but he isn't hip hop, struggling to see why this thread is here when there's an RnB section he could have put it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Chris Brown is a sh*t bag.

he really is the teflon don, his career should be over but hes thriving, bigger now than before the incident, even rihanna forgave him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Scumbag.

Also, apart from everything else, his songs are no good! They just aren't! Maybe a couple of them are catchy at first, but nobody will be listening to them in 5 years. A lot of them are designed to be popular for a few weeks on dancefloors and then they disappear.

The guy can dance, but the reason he reminds people of Jackson is because he copies him. No big deal.

To say Christy Brown is the new Michael Jackson for those reasons is like saying Robbie Williams was the new Frank Sinatra because he dressed up as a member of The Rat Pack and sang like him a few years ago.

Even those who aren't into Jackson see that the man was a genius. He has the biggest selling album of all time. The guy was a genius!

Chris Brown is no genius! He's an also ran R&B singer!

He has great songs. My favourite song is Marvins Room

Do you think he has songs on a par or better than the songs of Michael Jackson?

Well, No, but songs like Forever, Beautiful People etc give me the same feeling as when I listen to MJ songs.

He's only 22, let's see where he in 10 years, his music will mature, like it already has. Right now he sings about stuff that suits where he is now.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    he really is the teflon don, his career should be over but hes thriving, bigger now than before the incident, even rihanna forgave him.

I dunno, cheap-looking videos with Pitbull isn't what I'd call bigger than 'Forever'.

That's a cover of Drake's:

Well, No, but songs like Forever, Beautiful People etc give me the same feeling as when I listen to MJ songs.

He's only 22, let's see where he in 10 years, his music will mature, like it already has. Right now he sings about stuff that suits where he is now.

Michael Jackson released Off The Wall at the age of 20! After all of the things he'd done before, he'd reached reletive perfection before his 21st birthday.

Whereas Chris Brown has released a few average tunes.

There's no comparison!

This^.

well ok then, who is better? usher or CB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Cheese vs grapes?

• Advertisement

Usher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

usher, chris brown and micheal jackson,

am I in the the HIP HOP forum?

thread should be moved imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

To the recycle bin imo. The entire premise of the thread is stupid and probably disrespectful to music, again, imo.

Chris Brown is not and will never be good enough to lace Michael Jackson's black and white shoes.

aaronh007 wrote: »

To the recycle bin imo. The entire premise of the thread is stupid and probably disrespectful to music, again, imo.

Chris Brown is not and will never be good enough to lace Michael Jackson's black and white shoes.

I'm a fan of Micheal Jackson and I agree with you 100 per cent.

But MJ is the king of pop, he's not a rapper or is chris brown just because he rapped a few bars.

Why is this thread allowed here in the hip hop forum mods ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Chris Brown is borderline Hip Hop, remember, Hip Hop is just not Mc'ing, there is the rapping, production, lifestyle, dance, etc., all of which CB is part of.

And I think that most Hip Hop heads have a respect and appreciation for MJ.

That's the only reason why this thread is alive.

MJ was a much better rapper than CB though.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Chris Brown is borderline Hip Hop, remember, Hip Hop is just not Mc'ing, there is the rapping, production, lifestyle, dance, etc., all of which CB is part of.

And I think that most Hip Hop heads have a respect and appreciation for MJ.

That's the only reason why this thread is alive.

MJ was a much better rapper than CB though.

Agreed that they are elements of hip hop but cb's days of a g unit break dancer or 1 or 2 verses or the fact he ft's heavy on rappers songs still doesn't IMO warrant him a pass in the hip hop forum.

There is a soul,R'NB and funk aswell as I imigane a pop forum too, would the thread not be more suited to there?

Tbh I think it's an excuse to make an exception, if this is going to be the case boards might aswell do away with the r'n'b and pop threads and just merge the whole lot together because the exact same can be said just about any r'n'b or pop star because there's elements of hip hop in everyday music culture doesn't mean they are nesscarly hip hop.

On Mj , I'd be one of those with a lot of respect but again he was the king of pop not hip hop a completely different genre despite the fact he heavily influenced a lot of rappers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I can completely understand you point on this. I would be a fan of his at all, mainly for whomping my girl Rhianna along with the all round c*ntishness he exudes.

But he did release a Hip Hop mixtape towards the end of last year and the deciding vote for keeping this open is that he is listed as a hip hop artist on wikipedia (i know i know, brutal source but I needed something other than flipping a coin).

If it was someone like Usher, I would drop kick the thread over to RnB straight away, but CB is not so clear-cut. Was he also in the BET cypher thing as well? If Premo green lights him then we should give him a chance.

.....or should we?

So to decide if we should keep this thread open and allow discussion on the Hip Hop thread, I'll let the people decide. Poll has been added.

as it is quiet on this forum, first to 10 wins.

I can completely understand you point on this. I would be a fan of his at all, mainly for whomping my girl Rhianna along with the all round c*ntishness he exudes.

But he did release a Hip Hop mixtape towards the end of last year and the deciding vote for keeping this open is that he is listed as a hip hop artist on wikipedia (i know i know, brutal source but I needed something other than flipping a coin).

If it was someone like Usher, I would drop kick the thread over to RnB straight away, but CB is not so clear-cut. Was he also in the BET cypher thing as well? If Premo green lights him then we should give him a chance.

.....or should we?

So to decide if we should keep this thread open and allow discussion on the Hip Hop thread, I'll let the people decide. Poll has been added.

Well said mate. CB is part of hip hop and as you said, he released a mixtape where he is rapping in mostly all of the tracks.

OK he is no Nas/eminem but he still does a lot of hip hop tracks. His more Hip hop then pop imo especially with his recent work.

I wouldnt even class CB as a rnb artist either. ANyways the reason why i made the comparison to MJ is because the way in which CB dances and moves. yea he copies a few tricks and moves from MJ but name me a better dance artist then this lad?

You cant shoot him in terms of talent.he can sing, dance and performe. not many hold that to there arsenal and as a rapper his average at best but better then many other artists who are 100% rappers only.

For example, i rate CB's more then his mate rapper mate Tygra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

He's definitely got something to do with hip hop at large, but he's a grade A c*nt, and also just not very good at music.

• Advertisement

I don't think he's anywhere near close but I'll vote close anyway just to show that i think he is not the next michael jackson, MJ was unique, there will not be another MJ.

.....or should we?

Fair enough I see where your coming from about chris brown and it's a catch 22 really so there is no point in arguing more about him.

But my main point is which i should of said more on is the actual thread topic is not hip hop ! The OP asks if chris brown will be the next MJ so in other words the next king of pop...

I just feel the thread is more pop orientated than hip hop and it tbh it really really is IMO.

But look il vote and move on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Chris Brown the new Michael Jackson?

Why are we even discussing this??

cant understand why neither can be discussed in here.

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    cant understand why neither can be discussed in here.

Er............ it IS being discussed here.

The only problem is that it's a stupid discussion.

Michael Jackson and Chris Brown should never be in the same sentence.

Unless the sentence is "Someone on Boards thinks Chris Brown is the new Michael Jackson............ HAHAHAHAHAHALOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!"

Er ........ <snip> No insults please </snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

Let's see:

Can't sing (without autotune)
    Can dance (big woop)
    Arrogant príck? (Yup)

And besides, is he even RnB? Any song I hear from him is some David Guetta-ized Europop crap. How is that Hip Hop let alone RnB?!

Well said mate. CB is part of hip hop and as you said, he released a mixtape where he is rapping in mostly all of the tracks

Well technically Justin Bieber is rapping these days so where do we draw the line? Is Justin Bieber a rapper now?

Yeah his rap persona is Shawty Mane! I don't like him rapping though.

Yeah his rap persona is Shawty Mane! I don't like him rapping though.

:rolleyes:

blow69 wrote: »
    Let's see:

Can't sing (without autotune) Yes he can sing
    Can dance (big woop) So you slag him off on something he can in your opinion do well? :rolleyes:
    Arrogant príck? (Yup) Many artists are arrogant

And besides, is he even RnB? Any song I hear from him is some David Guetta-ized Europop crap. How is that Hip Hop let alone RnB?!

You listed to only his dance/techno pop songs? you clearly have not listened to not even a 5th of his songs. he does more rnb slow jam then techno pop music

Well technically Justin Bieber is rapping these days so where do we draw the line? Is Justin Bieber a rapper now?

Justin Bieber made a mixtape full of him rapping? does the likes of busta rhymes etc go begging Justin Bieber to spit a few bars on there tracks? NOPE AND NOPE.

CB does. he has his own mixtape and many rappers have asked CB to spit a few bars. i wonder why eh?

replied in bold for your amusement hehe

He's shít and he isnt the next MJ. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

CB does. he has his own mixtape and many rappers have asked CB to spit a few bars. i wonder why eh?

Probably because he will guarantee them an area of the market that they may not be able to tap into themselves. I'd imagine it's nothing to do with his skills anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

He matched the vibe of "pot of gold" and "look at me now" well. (look at me now might have been his own song?)

But next MJ, does not even warrant a response.

*Unfollows thread*

The only good thing to come from this thread is that I've started listening to MJ's music again. The man had more talent than all of the artists in the top-10 at the moment put together. Actually after looking at the charts I've decided to extend that to the top-20, and Chris Brown is one of those artists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Michael Jackson made music that the world will never forget.

Chris Brown made the most forgettable music in the world.

There is your difference. This thread is an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cdotb

Already better than MJ imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

cdotb wrote: »
    Already better than MJ imo

Your opinion is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cdotb

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Your opinion is wrong.

No

Ha the poll has reached 10 votes so it can be closed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

cdotb wrote: »
    No

Afraid so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement