Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AV Receiver with Digital Audio Output

• 21-02-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hey,

I was wondering would anyone know of a good AV receiver that has a digital audio output - either optical or spdif.
    I have a set of logitech z5500s that I would like to connect up to my HTPC which only has a hdmi out. I am planning on connecting the HTPC to the av receiver with a hdmi and then having an optical output from there to logitech decoder. I think that should work.... right?:)
    I have been looking online for the last while and can find everything but digital out.

thanks

edit: preferably a receiver with the latest decodes for hd sound

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Not sure why you think you need an AV Reciever ? You can connect the sound card in your PC directly to the Z-5500s, either by 3 X 3.5mm jack leads, or by a single spdif lead.

If you want to reproduce the latest HD type sounds check your software player, if it decodes them in software then do it in the hcpc and send the signal out via 3.5mm leads from your soundcard.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Thanks alot for the reply Ritz.
    There is no sound card in my pc (shuttle xs35) just a video card with hdmi out. There is a 3.5mm connection for headphones (and mic) but I want digital 5.1 if possible and not stereo.

Since there is only a hdmi out I thought the av receiver would pass the video up to the tv and process/pass through a digital signal to my logitech decoder. It seems very difficult to find an av receiver with a digital audio out and I also read that even if they do have a digital output it may not actually pass the stream through it...

Anyways I think I may have found a solution. I realised my sony tv has an optical out and I hope that will work with my speakers. If that works all I have to do is cross my fingers and hope the logitech can decode all compressions on my mkv files:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Does the Shuttle output the audio through the HDMI connector ? I've had a quick look at the specs and see no mention of it.

Ken

Well its the only digital source of audio output from the shuttle so if I want digital sound it has to come from the hdmi.
    by default hdmi passes audio and video

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/kramer/hdmi-to-dvi--spdif-convertor/FC47.html

get one of these and a DVI to HDMI adaptor, significnatly cheaper than an AVR.

probably other cheaper options around as well,

edit, cheaper option
    http://ukhdmi.com/1x2-hdmi-splitter-audio-converter_QQ100971

might even be cheaper

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply mossym.

Geez those convertors are seriously expensive:eek: I would rather invest in a good av receiver or even a htpc with an optical out for that price :D

All it cost me in the end to resolve this was €2.50 for an optical cable + €0.55 postage! I have the htpc connected to the tv with a hdmi and the optical coming from the tv to the logitech decoder. Very happy with it, amazing digital sound and 5.1 for my movies!
    As for decoding, well logitech can handle dts but not ac3- lucky for me xbmc can handle that easily so there is nothing I cant throw at it.

Only minor issue I have is that I cant listen to my music with the tv off- it wont pass the signal through.

cheers everyone

for that price any avr you got would be a piece of rubbish..if you were going to invest in an avr i'd say dump the speakers as well and get a proper set, otherwise you're only using the avr as a switch

glad you got sorted, but are you sure you are getting the 5.1 out of the optical output? most tv's only pass a stereo signal out over optical for audio they receive on hdmi inputs

You are right mossy, I was sure earlier it was detecting a digital stream but after an hour of inspecting everything and reading up online I realise its stereo output from the tv! argh after all that! I wouldnt mind I was sure I read that the model I had did output 5.1 :confused:

Yeah I do realise that these speakers aint exactly the best thing for home cinema but i had a new set lying around for months, the room they'll be in is small and they are still real good speakers.

hmm I dont know what to do now... It would of been perfect if that worked for me!

what about something like this? or is it an inferior model to the one you linked?

I wouldnt mind investing in a good av receiver either although as you said it will be basically just acting as a switch since i would only have the htpc connected... I also read that some av receivers wont pass audio from hdmi through to the optical out either.

My last option is almost the most appealing to me... Get a new htpc with an optical out. I know the raspberry pi which is coming out in the next few weeks is supposed to have an optical out, although I am really used to speed and smoothness of my current htpc.

settings wrote: »
    You are right mossy, I was sure earlier it was detecting a digital stream but after an hour of inspecting everything and reading up online I realise its stereo output from the tv! argh after all that! I wouldnt mind I was sure I read that the model I had did output 5.1 :confused:

Yeah I do realise that these speakers aint exactly the best thing for home cinema but i had a new set lying around for months, the room they'll be in is small and they are still real good speakers.

hmm I dont know what to do now... It would of been perfect if that worked for me!

what about something like this? or is it an inferior model to the one you linked?

I wouldnt mind investing in a good av receiver either although as you said it will be basically just acting as a switch since i would only have the htpc connected... I also read that some av receivers wont pass audio from hdmi through to the optical out either.

My last option is almost the most appealing to me... Get a new htpc with an optical out. I know the raspberry pi which is coming out in the next few weeks is supposed to have an optical out, although I am really used to speed and smoothness of my current htpc.

nope, that amazon linked box will work fine. mentioned above there could be cheaper options, i just wanted to give you an idea so used some sites i knew

a thought occured to me, a very cheap way of solving this would be one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/External-Sound-Card-Channel-Audio/dp/B003TO3KHY/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330073225&sr=1-5

thanks alot mossym.
    I was looking at that sound card before - it got some mixed reviews and some complaints about it handling surround sound. It also may or may not be awkward to get drivers for the OS im using (openelec) so I will choose another option.

I think I will order that switch off amazon so. hope its not a pain to use everything I switch channels with that damn remote :p
    At least it will allow me to play music off my htpc now with the tv off too.

thanks a million for advice all.

• Advertisement

settings wrote: »
    thanks alot mossym.
    I was looking at that sound card before - it got some mixed reviews and some complaints about it handling surround sound. It also may or may not be awkward to get drivers for the OS im using (openelec) so I will choose another option.

I think I will order that switch off amazon so. hope its not a pain to use everything I switch channels with that damn remote :p
    At least it will allow me to play music off my htpc now with the tv off too.

thanks a million for advice all.

creative have a usb soundcard as well, should be fine with your os, only posted the above as an example

I ordered the amazon switch in the end, I think its the best choice for me since its guaranteed to work and I can plug the bluray etc in too. thanks for help

Advertisement