Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2012

Options
  • 21-02-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

hey all

anybody have any idea when registration opens for the Warriors Run 2012?

Thanks Kenno

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hey its me

no but last yr i think it opened around st patricks day

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

thanks for the reply.
    it was Saint Patrick's day in 2010
    After that the last year.
    I will keep an eye out.
    Can't wait already amazing run.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ah yes. Memories of the famed system crash on registration day last year.

All I can say is OP, is get in there early, during the time that the website was operating last year, registration was filled in less than 24 hrs. Website says registration opens in May for this years event.

Will hopefully be going for my 2nd Warriors Run this year, thats if I manage to stay injury free. Will be going for a PB this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Hopefully the site doesn;t crash again this year, I was just back from working / travelling abroad so I had loads of time to sit around and wait for it to work. This year I will be trying to register on my lunch break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

cloneslad wrote: »
    Hopefully the site doesn;t crash again this year, I was just back from working / travelling abroad so I had loads of time to sit around and wait for it to work. This year I will be trying to register on my lunch break.

it became a victim of its own success. last year was an epic fail of the reg system a lot of people very stressed.

it's a great event but i don't like the way it's turned into a very over priced race. cost of entry, dirt cheap t shirt and no goodie bag last year were very disappointing.

if the price goes up again this year i'd have to seriously think about giving it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

promethius wrote: »
    it became a victim of its own success. last year was an epic fail of the reg system a lot of people very stressed.

it's a great event but i don't like the way it's turned into a very over priced race. cost of entry, dirt cheap t shirt and no goodie bag last year were very disappointing.

if the price goes up again this year i'd have to seriously think about giving it a miss.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you. It is a very well organised race, and it is fun, but I've done it a good few times now so there's no novelty in it for me, I just enjoy it.

However, there is no way I'd be paying more than €40 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Couldn't have put it better myself, I have run it the last 5 year's in a row but will seriously be considering my entry this year.

I was really left with a bad taste in my mouth after the last price increase.

That being said, I really enjoyed the Lough Arrow 8 miler, will be putting my name down for that again!

Actually really looking forwad to it this year now, and will be really hopefull of a PB. Waiting for the weather to improve and some free time to get back up on the mountain.

Cant quite remember what was in the Goody Bag last year, but maybe some extra stuff from the Sponsors in it would be nice, and a printed techical tee shirt (sweat wicking material) rather than the cotton type one as a momento of the day would be a nice bonus. Type of thing you seen the Gaelforce and marathon runners weaing in their warm up, and on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

irish-stew wrote: »
    Actually really looking forwad to it this year now, and will be really hopefull of a PB. Waiting for the weather to improve and some free time to get back up on the mountain.

Cant quite remember what was in the Goody Bag last year, but maybe some extra stuff from the Sponsors in it would be nice, and a printed techical tee shirt (sweat wicking material) rather than the cotton type one as a momento of the day would be a nice bonus. Type of thing you seen the Gaelforce and marathon runners weaing in their warm up, and on the course.

Yeah one of those would be great. For the price of the race you would atuomatically think you would get one.

good to see it wasn't just me thinking about that :D
    hope the organisers browse boards and take this into account, especially on the price.

i'd actually love to get a polo shirt, i have one from the 99 triathlon in rosses point. can be worn casually but events dont do them anymore and i can understand why, which is fair enough. i like polo shirts :)

• Advertisement

good to see it wasn't just me thinking about that :D
    hope the organisers browse boards and take this into account, especially on the price.

i'd actually love to get a polo shirt, i have one from the 99 triathlon in rosses point. can be worn casually but events dont do them anymore and i can understand why, which is fair enough. i like polo shirts :)

The polo shirts and technical tees are alot more comfortable than the cotton tees as well. The technical tees are very handy for warming up and competing in for future events, and would be good advertising to other competitors.

Hopefully its one of the things that the organising comittee, along with the registration system and the price that they'll look at.

Putting that aside, I done the run last year for the first time, and thought it was a great event, with great support along the route and at the finish. With kudos going to the physios at the finish sorting out severe cramps in my calfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭warriorpoet

kenn0 wrote: »
    hey all

anybody have any idea when registration opens for the Warriors Run 2012?

Thanks Kenno

Kenno,
    No date set for registration still, but website is being update and indicates that registration will be towards end of May this year....

See ya there!! :-)

Hopefully will have a free saturday in the next few weeks to start training. Havn't been up to see Medb since the Warriors Run last year.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

After last year I won't be back.
    I have taken part the last 3 years and swore last year never again.

Not so much the route and course itself but there were many other aspects of the overall organisation which suggest major cost cutting across the board.

- Registration: cheap hosting solution which could take about 5 concurrent connections
    - T-shirt: 2 euro cotton job (not proportional to the 30 euro entry fee)
    - Water stations: Lack of anything on offer other than most likely freebies from sponsors
    - Junkets and piss ups the orgnaisers award themselves with the pot of money from entry fees (pitch and putt, table quizes - see facebook etc.)

Do the organisers expect people to think they can justify taking another 8000 in entry fees alone ( 800 x 10 euro) and then cut back on the quality of the event?

As Yeats himself put it:

What need you, being come to sense,
    But fumble in a greasy till
    And add the halfpence to the pence
    And prayer to shivering prayer, until
    You have dried the marrow from the bone;
    For men were born to pray and save;
    Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

After last year I won't be back.
    I have taken part the last 3 years and swore last year never again.

Not so much the route and course itself but there were many other aspects of the overall organisation which suggest major cost cutting across the board.

- Registration: cheap hosting solution which could take about 5 concurrent connections
    - T-shirt: 2 euro cotton job (not proportional to the 30 euro entry fee)
    - Water stations: Lack of anything on offer other than most likely freebies from sponsors
    - Junkets and piss ups the orgnaisers award themselves with the pot of money from entry fees (pitch and putt, table quizes - see facebook etc.)

Do the organisers expect people to think they can justify taking another 8000 in entry fees alone ( 800 x 10 euro) and then cut back on the quality of the event?

As Yeats himself put it:

What need you, being come to sense,
    But fumble in a greasy till
    And add the halfpence to the pence
    And prayer to shivering prayer, until
    You have dried the marrow from the bone;
    For men were born to pray and save;
    Romantic Ireland's dead and gone,
    It's with O'Leary in the grave.

I couldn't disagree with you more and IMO you are 100% wrong in your criticisms of the warriors run. It is run on a totally voluntary basis and I'm pretty certain the organisers are NOT dipping into the "pot of money".

I've done lots of runs all over the country and, for a relatively small event, the warriors run is extremely well organised - good marshalling, timing chips, good entertainment, post race food and massage/first aid. Most importantly good crowds and good craic.

OK the online registration could be better but this is a small event we're talking about (800 runners) not the Dublin marathon.

As for the water stations - what do you expect? Gels? Energy drinks? It's only 15kms and to me water is just fine for that distance.

You're totally OTT in your criticism - if you're so worked up about it why don't you volunteer to help the organisers out?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

I missed it last year due to injury but did the previous two years .. I have to say it was brilliantly organised .. and its not just a run anymore but a whole weekend festival which is great both for Sligo and for Strandhill.

really looking forward to it this year ... but hope they have technical t-shirts!

RR made a few valid points.
    I've done the race the last few years and other events in the county and area. I've enjoyed taking part and it's a great thing to have ticked off for a local.

My take on the warriors run:

Pros: Closed roads where required, decent number of water stations, food provided afterwards, decent marshalling, Gardai invovled, mountain rescue there, chip timing, good crowds, generates visitors to sligo

Cons: Way over priced, sub standard entry system, poor quality t shirt, absence of goodie bag, removal of king of the mountain category, confusion on where the money ends up.

The race is just overpriced for what you get, I've done local 10kms for €15 or less and got reliable online entry through run ireland/active europe, chip timing, same standard t shirt, better post race food. Any excess goes to organising club, great.

Warriors run appear to have tried to save on the 7% online entry fee and failed spectacularly last year. These things happen i hope they've learned their lesson.

Races are not filling up this year in sligo like they did in previous years so will be interesting to see if the organisers up the price again and if people are willing to pay it.

Will i do it? I would have been sitting at a computer refreshing the screen when entry was opening, this year, it just feels like a commercial undertaking and having done it a few times i might just leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭captainkeg

have to agree with some of previous posters, in 2 minds whether to do it this year.
    Last year they bumped up price by 10E but dropped King of the Mountain.Why?
    As mentioned above registration was a shambles.
    Wasnt around last year, but ran it the year before, they didnt put the split times up online at all, which was a bit disapointing, there were ones available as I was told they were displayed in the Tent across from the strand after the race.
    I know its run by volunteers but when you are pulling in E32000 in entry fees for one race its not unfair to expect higher standards than the run of the mill races that go on every year.
    Hope they take on board some of the criticism as it is a fantastic race with great atmosphere and scenery

daveboy01 wrote: »
    I couldn't disagree with you more and IMO you are 100% wrong in your criticisms of the warriors run. It is run on a totally voluntary basis and I'm pretty certain the organisers are NOT dipping into the "pot of money".

I've done lots of runs all over the country and, for a relatively small event, the warriors run is extremely well organised - good marshalling, timing chips, good entertainment, post race food and massage/first aid. Most importantly good crowds and good craic.

OK the online registration could be better but this is a small event we're talking about (800 runners) not the Dublin marathon.

As for the water stations - what do you expect? Gels? Energy drinks? It's only 15kms and to me water is just fine for that distance.

You're totally OTT in your criticism - if you're so worked up about it why don't you volunteer to help the organisers out?

daveboy01, if you are going to defend the event why not address my point instead of just dismissing it outright.

8000 extra in entries last year on 2010, where did that go?

The standards of the event dropped imho from 2009 -> 2010 -> 2011.

RE: Drinks etc. I dont care tbh but at the finish of a race that costs 30 euro you'd expect more than drums of water, and the food laid on is a volunteer offering is it not?

I have paid over the odds for the likes of NY marathon and also partake week to week in events in Ireland such as the Bohermeen half marathon and IMRA races.
    I would consider myself able to judge what is value for money offered by people who care about running and on the other hand what has become a money making exercise.

Registration date being announced tomorrow as per the facebook page.

<Getting slightly excited>

• Advertisement

Registration opens Thursday 31st May.

Website relaunch on Thursday 17th May.

Dates as per FB page.

Registration suppose to open at 4pm. 5 past now.

:(

Lets hope theres not going to be a repeat of last year.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Registration suppose to open at 4pm. 5 past now.

:(

Lets hope theres not going to be a repeat of last year.

Thought they were having an online only registration this year.
    What happened with the 200 registrations for the local lads and lassies that took place last night then.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Online registration is open now. Just registered.

Quickkkkkkkkk. Less than 350 places left.

Thought they were having an online only registration this year.
    What happened with the 200 registrations for the local lads and lassies that took place last night then.........

Thought that was only 100.

:confused:

Didn;t make it down my self. Working and only remembered about it at 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Just got in around 769! Was about to leave work and happened to glance at My Threads, cheers lads!

786 registered.

All gone at 5pm.

Lets just hope I'm fit to run now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Strand Celtic are organising a race around Knocknarae incorporating all the road section in Warriors run. Its on Sunday 29th July at 10:30 details are on the Event page here.

Knocknarae Mountain Loop race

Going to give it a go. Obvioulsy an ideal preparation and a good stepping stone for the race itself and 4 weeks out youve time to put right anything that needs work.

Advertisement