Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors Run 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Took my first look at the Mountain today since last years event.

Might be cutting it fine in getting a PB this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

irish-stew wrote: »
    Took my first look at the Mountain today since last years event.

Might be cutting it fine in getting a PB this year.

has it gotten bigger :eek:

cloneslad wrote: »

Well it certainly felt it, trying to run up it.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Well it certainly felt it, trying to run up it.

:D

Did u run the course? or just run up past carpark. I ran the course course or what I taught was the course last year in training. Wasn't pretty :)

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    Did u run the course? or just run up past carpark. I ran the course course or what I taught was the course last year in training. Wasn't pretty :)

No just from the car park, have left the training quite late following injury. From memory the course to the top from the Glen Road last year was not pretty either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

How are we all fixed?

Weather is for 16C and light south westerly with scatterred showers so not excuses there!
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/sligo/211216/afternoon-weather-forecast/211216?day=4

T runner wrote: »
    How are we all fixed?

Weather is for 16C and light south westerly with scatterred showers so not excuses there!
    http://www.accuweather.com/en/ie/sligo/211216/afternoon-weather-forecast/211216?day=4

training was going well until about 3 weeks ago, I did 21k out around clontarf / st annes park area, and I've had no motivation to go running since. I've just been wrecked after work, I need to start going to bed earlier.

I think this is going to be a grin and bear it........though it will mostly be cry and wish I was dead it

How are we all fixed?

I can feel the pain already. Not looking forward to it at all. Too many injurys this year and not as much training done because of it.

What time are people aiming for? Im looking for 1:25

What time are people aiming for?

The finish line :o

Last year I said I'd put in more of an effort for it, do some hills etc, but I'm too useless to see these things through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I can feel the pain already. Not looking forward to it at all. Too many injurys this year and not as much training done because of it.

What time are people aiming for? Im looking for 1:25

It all depends on how i go after the hill. The only times ive ever done well on thats section was after a few tough hill runs to harden the legs. I should have some strenght left in the legs from high mileage training i did for a Spring marathon. A broken arm 4 weeks ago has disrupted training though. My brother who is normally on baseball duty for me on the mountain is running this year. Going to run conservativly out to the mountain. I wont go hell for leather down...want to try and save the legs for the road home this year. Have a feeling ill need them!

• Advertisement

How are we all fixed?

Reading them posts we all sound pretty much focked.

:(

Between other commitments and injury, training for this event has been pretty none exsistant if I'm being honest. Have only been to the top of the mountain twice since last years event, one of these trips to the top was a full run of the course this week, although surprisingly only 12 minutes slower than my time last year.

Am banking on the training from a few other events up until May of this year, including a Marathon to get me through it in a respectful time.

Although one thing I have been thinking of, and cant remember it from last year, is how well in advance are the water stations signed. Will be using the gels, and obviously will want to have them consumed before actully grabbing the water cup. I could use my water belt but dont find it the most comfortable to use at times with it bouncing about on my waist and hip.

Reading them posts we all sound pretty much focked.

:(

Between other commitments and injury, training for this event has been pretty none exsistant if I'm being honest. Have only been to the top of the mountain twice since last years event, one of these trips to the top was a full run of the course this week, although surprisingly only 12 minutes slower than my time last year.

Am banking on the training from a few other events up until May of this year, including a Marathon to get me through it in a respectful time.

Although one thing I have been thinking of, and cant remember it from last year, is how well in advance are the water stations signed. Will be using the gels, and obviously will want to have them consumed before actully grabbing the water cup. I could use my water belt but dont find it the most comfortable to use at times with it bouncing about on my waist and hip.

Did you use gels last year? how many do u plan to take?

Water stops are something i dont remember being signed at all. i know there was one going down culleenamore, one at the turn off to mountain, one at knocknarea car park, one on the back stretch and final one when u come back onto main strandhill road.

Did you use gels last year? how many do u plan to take?

Water stops are something i dont remember being signed at all. i know there was one going down culleenamore, one at the turn off to mountain, one at knocknarea car park, one on the back stretch and final one when u come back onto main strandhill road.

Didn't use gels last year, but have in previous events and in full training run for this

Took one just before started, again as entering the mountain and again at the top. One the church may come in handy as well for the final sprint.

Unfortunatly wouldn't feel confident getting out gels and consuming whilst coming down the tourist trail whilst trying to pick my steps. May just take my own water so can get the gels down when I need them.

Didn't use gels last year, but have in previous events and in full training run for this

Took one just before started, again as entering the mountain and again at the top. One the church may come in handy as well for the final sprint.

Unfortunatly wouldn't feel confident getting out gels and consuming whilst coming down the tourist trail whilst trying to pick my steps. May just take my own water so can get the gels down when I need them.

The last couple of years i seen a few lads taking them at the bottom of the mountain. I was going to try them this year but havent tried any in training so i'm not going to risk it. Dont want to be running into someones house during the race.:D

The last couple of years i seen a few lads taking them at the bottom of the mountain. I was going to try them this year but havent tried any in training so i'm not going to risk it. Dont want to be running into someones house during the race.:D

Plenty of hedges on route to hop behind

;)

Plenty of hedges on route to hop behind

;)

Haha i know i guy who did that in the rosses point 8km earlier in the year. The smell of him at the end:eek::eek:

Haha i know i guy who did that in the rosses point 8km earlier in the year. The smell of him at the end:eek::eek:

This year or last? Remember the Roses Point 8km at the end of last summer. Rain that fell during that as nearly as bad as the rain promised for this weekend.

This year or last? Remember the Roses Point 8km at the end of last summer. Rain that fell during that as nearly as bad as the rain promised for this weekend.

That was this year.nice summers day for it. I've decided to try and beat my mountain time from last year. must look it up and see what it is

That was this year.nice summers day for it. I've decided to try and beat my mountain time from last year. must look it up and see what it is

Think my mountain time was 30 minutes last year. 4 or 5 of that was the decent.

:eek:

Think my mountain time was 30 minutes last year. 4 or 5 of that was the decent.

:eek:

What path did you take on the way down? 34 mins for me Took me 8 mins to descend from cairn. I follow the path until it goes right then i just go straight,

• Advertisement

Some motivation for all the Warriors/Warriorsess tomorrow.

What path did you take on the way down? 34 mins for me Took me 8 mins to descend from cairn. I follow the path until it goes right then i just go straight,

I followed a path that looked like it had been created by rain water, a deeply rutted meandering path, only about a foot or two wide, had to clear one or two ditches, and a few drops in places, then once I got through the gate, I just bombed it.

How ever, it was a dry day last year. This week even my trail runners were failing to find grip, the final straight into the car park there will be very little of it in them, not great on smooth wet rock/stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Where is the best place to park tomorrow?

I will be getting to Strandhill at around 2.30.

CSC wrote: »
    Where is the best place to park tomorrow?

I will be getting to Strandhill at around 2.30.

Are you running, have you registered yet? That closes at 2pm. The Shore road closes at 1.30.

I parked on the Airport Road my self last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I got registered this evening for running.

I've got lifts that last few years so not sure where will be the best place as I'll have to leave quickly after the race also.

CSC wrote: »
    I got registered this evening for running.

I've got lifts that last few years so not sure where will be the best place as I'll have to leave quickly after the race also.

Get there then maybe before 1.30 if you can and park on the Airport Road. I was away by 5 or 5.30 last year from there. Not sure you can get out of the Shore Rd carpark before 6.30pm.

More here

Well how we all get on? Missed my PB by under a minute, although finished about 40 to 50 places up on last year.

All in all a great day dispite running the last 50 to 100 metres in agony, was so worn out I nearly fell over the line. Pretty nice technical tee, and everything well laid on, looks like the commitee were reading this tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Well how we all get on? Missed my PB by under a minute, although finished about 40 to 50 places up on last year.

All in all a great day dispite running the last 50 to 100 metres in agony, was so worn out I nearly fell over the line. Pretty nice technical tee, and everything well laid on, looks like the commitee were reading this tread.

found it an awful lot harder than last year, although didn't do any training for it at all. thought i was gona pass out with the heat on the first section up to the glen road and walked up knocknarea. Tore down it and, cause of taking it handy going up was far better set for the run home where i crashed and burned last year. finished a few minutes behind last year at 1:24 so happy enough. great weather, great spread after and fair play to the committee with the technical tee

Almost.......at.......the....top......now!

I said i'd be bad, and I wasn't disappointed, this was my 5th time and my slowest time, slower by over 9 minutes than last year! I've no one to blame but myself, I had no injuries or illness, just no motivation to train this past month.

On another note, drinking pink energy drink plus a quarter of an orange = brown vomit! If I got sick near you, I apologise!

I said i'd be bad, and I wasn't disappointed, this was my 5th time and my slowest time, slower by over 9 minutes than last year! I've no one to blame but myself, I had no injuries or illness, just no motivation to train this past month.

On another note, drinking pink energy drink plus a quarter of an orange = brown vomit! If I got sick near you, I apologise!

Nearly did a paula radcliff my self at a couple of points. Didn't get water into my self quickly enough after taking in my second gel on the mountain top, got half way down and had to stop due to cramping and a stitch. Had to suck in the air a couple of times as well in the finish area and in the village as well to stop the contents of three gels, and what ever I had in the village coming up again.

I kinda take back some of the great day comment, glad to have finished so close to last years last years time, but the pain on crossing the line was so much worse than last year, really shows it is a event you have to train for, even if you do have running experience. Its all about the hill training that you just dont get in your road running.

Still glad I done it? hell ya, dispite the sore calfs this morning I still have a PB to beat, just have to prepare next year, or even just prepare. Still want to do the Gaelforce, but still debating if this (the warriors run) is a good recovery event to do only a week or so later.

• Advertisement

Nearly did a paula radcliff my self at a couple of points. Didn't get water into my self quickly enough after taking in my second gel on the mountain top, got half way down and had to stop due to cramping and a stitch. Had to suck in the air a couple of times as well in the finish area and in the village as well to stop the contents of three gels, and what ever I had in the village coming up again.

I kinda take back some of the great day comment, glad to have finished so close to last years last years time, but the pain on crossing the line was so much worse than last year, really shows it is a event you have to train for, even if you do have running experience. Its all about the hill training that you just dont get in your road running.

Still glad I done it? hell ya, dispite the sore calfs this morning I still have a PB to beat, just have to prepare next year, or even just prepare. Still want to do the Gaelforce, but still debating if this (the warriors run) is a good recovery event to do only a week or so later.

I'm going to buy a decent bike in a few months, it will allow me to do some good cross training when my legs are feeling a little stiff.

I think it's the first time I've ever done a race where my fitness, cardio wise, has let me down.

3 weeks to get fit for the Sligo half marathon, should be enough time :)

Advertisement