Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoC 7 - 17th March

Options
  • 21-02-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Okay, so this is all provisional right now, I'll get Doom to edit this later with the full info as normal, along with the rules / seedings in a post below.
    As it stands right now, KoF13 is not viable. Takes FAR too long in a multi-tournament day to run, and having it hold us up by an hour is unacceptable. If it had enough of a following to generate it's own day, or if we cut a lot of stuff out of DoC, then maybe, but as it stands, I'm not really willing to do that.

So let's look at our options to replace it.
    They're in the poll above, have at it.

What game replaces bof3 KoF13? 17 votes

best of 1 KoF13
    0% 0 votes
    Gem Fighter (SFxT)
    17% 3 votes
    SC5
    58% 10 votes
    This game! (Provide game name).
    23% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

(This is a place holder for seeds and rules)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

If you're dropping KOF, can we get Street Fighter 4 back in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

So you want people to get into town on Paddy's day. Even if everyone wasn't getting pisshed, there'll be no buses due to the parade. Think you might want to reschedule!

EDIT: ONION here, forgot to sign Konata out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Konata wrote: »
    So you want people to get into town on Paddy's day. Even if everyone wasn't getting pisshed, there'll be no buses due to the parade. Think you might want to reschedule!

M'yes. DoC on the 17th seems like a bit of a miscalculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Me thinks paddys day is a mistake.

Also, a possible combined SFxT launch and inferno is shaping up for the 10th March - Just FYI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

bring SSF4 back! singles or teams... doesnt matter... best game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

No reason for sf4 to be at DoC, nobody cares about teams, Inferno is there for singles, and it's the only chance other games get to hold tournaments.

I'd like to see as much SFxT as possible when it comes out to attract new players etc., but I feel like SC5 deserves at least one tournament at DoC. Any chance of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

hmmm i say sc5 just for the fact of maybe giving they players who play this scene a bit of a boost, as long as there was enough people for a bracket
    (know you dont need many,even 8 would make a tourny)
    there'll be no shortage in the sfxt scene im guessing,so id say a big bracket who be made for the people attending for this

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Literally zero chance of me getting to a tournament on Paddys Day.

Yeah having it on Paddy's Day is a mental idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

hmmm i say sc5 just for the fact of maybe giving they players who play this scene a bit of a boost, as long as there was enough people for a bracket
    (know you dont need many,even 8 would make a tourny)
    there'll be no shortage in the sfxt scene im guessing,so id say a big bracket who be made for the people attending for this

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

SFxTekken is looking huge, be silly to leave it out imo.

As for date, push it back a week or smth. Paddys day is for drankin

Massive brain fart on my sleepy ass part, I just picked the first middle of a month weekend on a calender that omitted it was paddy's day. A little too mental, I agree, I've resent the email asking for the 24th.
    I'll sound out interest for BB: Extend; I'd love to have the newest version played out in DoC as it was the game I kinda started running things with...but if there's a greater pull for SC5 and SFxT I'll break my heart and take out BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Absinthe mother****a, do ya drink it? :p i do ;)
    my bad though,cant multi task :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'd imagine SFxT would be the man for the job here. I don't reckon I'll be buying it any time soon, but I reckon I'd still enter the tournament just to play a match or two in it, if nothing else. Destined to be one of the main attractions this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Well won't SFxT pull in the tekken crowd now anyway. From what I have seen the Tekken cast play like they always did but on a 2d plane. . . . .unless the 2d is turning them away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

This game is completely different to Tekken.

I doubt many Tekken only players will enjoy it.

Ah ok. Been missing from the internet for the last 2 months or so (don't ask) and missed all the streams and trailers. I was under the impression that the Tekken Cast still used the same control scheme of Tekken and had a dodge move to "simulate" side stepping. Have to go look up interviews and VODS now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Voa wrote: »
    Massive brain fart on my sleepy ass part, I just picked the first middle of a month weekend on a calender that omitted it was paddy's day. A little too mental, I agree, I've resent the email asking for the 24th.

CXC4 is on that day. Might want to try the 31st.

Also, I don't get the reasoning behind replacing KOF XIII (because it "takes too long") with SFxT, which will take at least as long, thanks our good friends the gems (you can quote me on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Yreval wrote: »

Also, I don't get the reasoning behind replacing KOF XIII (because it "takes too long") with SFxT, which will take at least as long, thanks our good friends the gems (you can quote me on that).

The difference is that more people will play SFxT. I'm a KoF fan, but it really doesn't have the numbers to compete with it.

Is there going to be anything KoF related at CxC4?

• Advertisement

I...what the hell. Alright, 31st, here we come :p

Also, we'll figure out gems. Once the game drops, we'll either have a "no gems mode" or just a set set of gems like they did in the beta build.

Looks like every character has 3 sets of gems by default you can edit. Just say you have to use them, simple enough. From what I could see at WNF it never took longer than a minute to sort them out. I still think everyone is blowing this whole gem thing out of proportion. But will see on launch day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Having played the game quite a bit, I am quoting you, to say that you are wrong.

Looks like every character has 3 sets of gems by default you can edit. Just say you have to use them, simple enough. From what I could see at WNF it never took longer than a minute to sort them out. I still think everyone is blowing this whole gem thing out of proportion. But will see on launch day

That's just how it works for the beta build, not for the final release. You can choose specific gems in that.

God dam it Capcom. Every time I see something I like it turns out to not be in the final version :(

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

Can you choose to not use gems, i prefer my fighting games to be non glowy.

Can you choose to not use gems, i prefer my fighting games to be non glowy.

You can not pick any gems but your opponent can still pick them.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

Voa, you sure it wasn't you that hit your head and was concussed on sunday night? Paddy's day? I'd be demanding it off for my anniversary and the ireland match anyway. And yeah, i'm gonna throw in for SFXT, cause it seemed like massive fun in Cannes, fun to watch, fun to play, and the matches are blessedly short, so from timing point of view it just works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Soulcalibur V with KOF casuals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

To be fair the insane long running time of KoF was mainly down to me doing well and I don't play the game right.

If you'd had another combo fiend in the final it would have (relatively) flown through.

That said- I think at least for this one the focus should be on SC5 and SFxT.

It'd be sad for KoF to die but logically, MK and marble bring the people and SFxT and SC5 are the hot new things.

Advertisement