Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arnica

• 21-02-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

Have read that a lot of women use arnica during labour and after the birth. Hope someone can answer some questions for me please? Is this taken orally? Where can you get it and does it work?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I used it. You need 200c Arnica tablets which can be gotten in Nelson's homeopathic pharmacy on Duke St off Grafton St. Otherwise you can order it from their website. It's great for bruising. You can get other doses in most chemists, healthfood shops and boots but really the 200c is best for after labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Thanks Anna, I am in Cork and can't seem to get 200c up on the website!?!
    Think I read somewhere that you can't get certain medications in hospital during labour if you have taken Arnica, do know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Hiya, i swear by arnica! Those nelson ones are available in quite a few chemists, in a purple tube this. You take them orally. I took them a few days before my due date and a few days after birth, i was absolutely grand the nurses couldn't believe how well i healed after a 9lb11oz baby!
    I had another op two weeks ago and healed amazingly well, i also took arnica for that.
    They should give me commission!

I didn't take it during labour just afterwards so I don't know. You could try ringing Nelsons. People outside Dublin have said that they have ordered it before. Arnica is great generally for bruising whatever the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I *think* you are not recommended to take it until after the birth, will see if I can find a link to the studies. My midwife told me not to anyway, something to do with controling bleeding or something I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

It's brilliant stuff! I took it just before xmas when I broke my ankle, I was in a cast for 6 weeks and got reiki and took arnica and 6 weeks out of the cast my ankle seems to be 100%.

No pain, no limp which is great. Will definitely get for after the birth!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

my understanding was that 200c Arnica was for post-labour only
    I've heard that if taken during labour, it could interfere with surgery if the delivery had to be via c-section apparently, although they say that if you take the 6c arnica during labour it would not interfere with surgery... but that saying, the dose of 6c is so light, it would probably have no effect in any case
    I'm no expert though!

I took the 200c from Nelsons from after delivery and as with another poster, my GP couldn't get over how well the stitches were healing (2nd degree tear)
    I'm just taking her word for it as I know no better myself!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

A 200c dilution of arnica is like taking an molecule of arnica and diluting it in a volume of water greater than the size of the observable universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭aviendha

mickydcork wrote: »
    A 200c dilution of arnica is like taking an molecule of arnica and diluting it in a volume of water greater than the size of the observable universe.

:)
    fair enough! placebo effect worked fine for me then ! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Oh shoots I've just packed in my hospital bag a tube of arnica but realised it's only 30c. Would that be no good after my c-sect or should I take a few dosage at a time?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Oh shoots I've just packed in my hospital bag a tube of arnica but realised it's only 30c. Would that be no good after my c-sect or should I take a few dosage at a time?

Take a teaspoon of tap water. You'll get more effect and other health benefits.

MrsFox, it will do some good but you're better off trying to get the 200c stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Thanks for all the replies. My friend got them for me in Dublin and brought them down on her last trip. Cost about 11e.
    Mrs Fox wrote: »

Cream or tablets?? I got the tablets they were 200c.

Advertisement