Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Thanks for that, I suppose really I'll have to see what the engineer says when they visit the house. It was built 5 years ago and seems fairly tidily setup, and all the extension lines are in their own ducting in the wall cavities of the house, but of course it could still be a non-optimal setup for VDSL. I'm basically hoping this NTU yoke can be put in the living room since the extension running to that room looks to be identical to the cable coming into the main Eircom socket in the hallway. I don't need extensions anywhere else in the house and there's no monitored alarm.

I suppose the alternative is to run CAT5e cable alongside the telephone extension cable in the wall and run the VDSL modem in bridge mode. But still, would have to find somewhere for the modem to be plugged in and hidden in the hallway.. and I don't know how I'd actual run the CAT5e through the wall in the first place.. ah well, first world problems!

You'd really have to see what he/she says when they arrive. They might be able to sort it as the NTU and abandon the rest of the extensions or something.

You're definitely best to run CAT6 these days to future proof your installation

At least that way you can run Ethernet over it if you don't want phone lines. Probably a lot more useful in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

something really amiss here with my connection tonight, vodafone castlebar exchange.

despite a modem sync speed of 8.3MB down and 0.6 up , speedtest only gives me 0.13 down and 0.30 up.

nothing my end as i rebooted the router 3 or 4 times and rebooted everything in the house connected to it.

typical i was just settling in to watching a movie on netflix as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Eircom have removed their FUP on unlimited broadband....

http://www.eircom.net/policy/

"eircom net Next Generation Broadband Regular 8Mb: the ADSL service which provided the Customer with unlimited hours per monthly billing, with an unlimited traffic allowance."

Thought so - I went over my limit in March and wasn't charged. Nice to know it's official though - thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

irishgeo wrote: »
    something really amiss here with my connection tonight, vodafone castlebar exchange.

despite a modem sync speed of 8.3MB down and 0.6 up , speedtest only gives me 0.13 down and 0.30 up.

nothing my end as i rebooted the router 3 or 4 times and rebooted everything in the house connected to it.

Fine for me in cbar with magnet must just be vodafone/line problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

irishgeo wrote: »

I had some strange problems during the week on a site I work at.

Vodafone connection on a 7Mb package. Internet went off line and I logged into the router to check it out.

It reconnected at 17Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. Stayed like that for the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I had some strange problems during the week on a site I work at.

Vodafone connection on a 7Mb package. Internet went off line and I logged into the router to check it out.

It reconnected at 17Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up. Stayed like that for the day.
    They might have been testing what the line could handle. I got an email from them recently which mentioned upgrades for existing users.
    Hi there,

From May 20th we will launch all-new Fibre Broadband, with speeds of up to 70Mbps, at no extra cost. We will also introduce our new home phone and broadband plans with loads more calls and data, meaning better value for you.

In the meantime, youll get something extra each month: were upping your usage allowance from 40GB to 50GB for free. Better still, where possible were increasing your broadband speed at no extra cost. Your line will be boosted to 24Mbps or the maximum speed available, and you dont have to lift a finger well be in touch once the upgrade is complete.

Vodafone Fibre Broadband will be rolled out in stages around the country and once its available in your neighbourhood well be in touch to let you know.
    Either that, or it was a temporary error from the reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

They might have been testing what the line could handle. I got an email from them recently which mentioned upgrades for existing users.

Either that, or it was a temporary error from the reading.

Rolled out in stages, doesn't bode well. I mean do they mean the rollout plan eircom have or their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

AFAIK they'll just be reselling eircom's fibre. The stages are probably the same as the phases eircom are working on.

AFAIK they'll just be reselling eircom's fibre. The stages are probably the same as the phases eircom are working on.

ADSL & VDSL2 services are all delivered over eircom's access network.

They're not quite reselling eircom services as they provide their own backhaul networks but to access your home it goes over the eircom wholesale local access network (local exchanges, local wiring and now fibre cabinets)

Only Cable operators like UPC and the wireless providers have their own infrastructure totally independent of eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭TheChizler

gazzamc wrote: »
    There was none located in Tralee (on the map) so i added one i saw near me..

It was definitely one of these was it?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/40p3gggc15uzvhg/grange_industrial_estate.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Guys this most likely was already asked.

We have the new fibre cabinet in our estate just a few days ago, how long generally does it take for this to go live.

And obviously eircom need to provision it etc, would the cabinets be turned on, one by one or as they are ready to go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Guys this most likely was already asked.

We have the new fibre cabinet in our estate just a few days ago, how long generally does it take for this to go live.

And obviously eircom need to provision it etc, would the cabinets be turned on, one by one or as they are ready to go ?

ESB need to hook the power to the unit or the electricity box that was installed by KN networks. These won't probably won't go live until all the other cabinets are ready in your exchange, but I could be wrong. One of the lads on here told me that my town should be finished by the end of the month. Hopefully they'll go live then.

Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

red_bairn wrote: »
    ESB need to hook the power to the unit or the electricity box that was installed by KN networks. These won't probably won't go live until all the other cabinets are ready in your exchange, but I could be wrong. One of the lads on here told me that my town should be finished by the end of the month. Hopefully they'll go live then.

Where are you located?

My understanding is that the engineering (cabinet installs and hookup) work is powering ahead, in some areas it's way ahead of schedule and some not started at all, these areas will get done at some point in the near future.

However the admin and integration work is way behind schedule and most cabinets are unlikely to be fully commissioned any time soon.

(A little bird told me that<g>)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

A week to efibre launch from tomorrow - still no idea of available packages or costs. Will they just keep customers on their current package, upgraded to efibre. What the story with the "up to 70Mb" connection. I'm 200 metres from the nearest cab and knowing my luck I'll be waiting for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

Where are you located?

In Dundalk but they literally only started on thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

They're rolling a fibre cable out down the road from me, seemingly connecting Tara with Trim.

I'm shocked! How can this be true?

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    They're rolling a fibre cable out down the road from me, seemingly connecting Tara with Trim.

I guess they wanna upgrade even the smaller communities. It looks like they want to have great coverage. I didn't realise either were on the lists. :confused:

I guess they wanna upgrade even the smaller communities. It looks like they want to have great coverage. I didn't realise either were on the lists. :confused:

We asked the lads laying the cable and they told us that's what they were doing. Odd, we're in the middle of the country (althogh 20 miles from Dublin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

If they are upgrading areas that are not even on the first 5 phase list thats a very good sign.

For information, it's a skinny-ish yellow cable on a massive wheel.....

• Advertisement

Nolars wrote: »
    If they are upgrading areas that are not even on the first 5 phase list thats a very good sign.

Exactly.
    Hi red , was talking to lad's today doing the exch end of fibre splicing of Rush / Lusk and Skerries in north dublin. End of May is the completeion date for Greystones and Wicklow for that matter or ASAP as was put to them at a meeting on Tuesday,north dub has the same completion date.There is talk of NGA 2 , among staff but there are still 75 exch area's not yet announced to be worked on , fair play to you , you're doing a great job on the mapping forum , cya 10

That was this Tuesday. Greystones was originally due to be finished in December 2013. :)

He told me that they are actually 6 months ahead of schedule for these Phase IV towns/cities.

Edit:
    For information, it's a skinny-ish yellow cable on a massive wheel.....

That's the ducting. The tubing they blow the fibre through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Must take a walk around my neighbourhood as we are classed as the countryside even though we are less than 2 mins from suburbs and its quite a big collection of houses. Nearest cab is 1km (suburbs) from where I live. really hope I will be able to get this!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Are they doing it for Eircom? Or maybe the ESB?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

I just rang Eircom sales (1800 50 33 03) to see if they could give me an exact date for efibre in my area (Bettystown). They now have a specific option on the phone menu (Option 1) for eFibre questions, so I guess they are starting to get a lot of calls on it now.

The guy tells me that from the 20th of May, eircom will be enabling 20 exchanges per month, and unfortunately, Bettystown is not in the first wave, although Drogheda town is....and he could not give me the locations for the future monthly waves.

So I guess May 20th will be an uneventful day for me.

There'll be more launches in June though.
    It looks like some of the later phases are months ahead of schedule so you'll see a good few areas becoming available during the summer.

Solair wrote: »
    There'll be more launches in June though.
    It looks like some of the later phases are months ahead of schedule so you'll see a good few areas becoming available during the summer.

Yeah, I reckon our town will be live in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

So close and I still don't know if I can even get it. The bloody checker on the eircom site lists two houses in my estate. Tried ringing them and all they said was my line could handle 12mb then they connected me to sales who said they wouldn't know further information until the launch on the 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Finical wrote: »
    So close and I still don't know if I can even get it. The bloody checker on the eircom site lists two houses in my estate. Tried ringing them and all they said was my line could handle 12mb then they connected me to sales who said they wouldn't know further information until the launch on the 20th.

Is there a cabinet in your estate and how far away from it are you? If you are anywhere close to a cabinet then there is no need to panic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

ElNino wrote: »
    Is there a cabinet in your estate and how far away from it are you? If you are anywhere close to a cabinet then there is no need to panic.

Fairly certain there is a cable cabinet just a bit outside the estate , but I think I'm a good distance from the VDSL unit. Could that effect whether I could get it or not? Thanks. Totally clueless with all the technology and terms. :D

Advertisement