Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Finical wrote: »
    So close and I still don't know if I can even get it. The bloody checker on the eircom site lists two houses in my estate. Tried ringing them and all they said was my line could handle 12mb then they connected me to sales who said they wouldn't know further information until the launch on the 20th.

Same for our estate, but I just rang and they say we are ready to go. Praise be. I have a slingbox and want a better upload speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Fairly certain there is a cable cabinet just a bit outside the estate , but I think I'm a good distance from the VDSL unit. Could that effect whether I could get it or not? Thanks. Totally clueless with all the technology and terms. :D

It would be best to be around < 1KM. See the graph. We will be getting VDSL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Saw workmen rolling out some yellow cable in Listowel Co.Kerry today about a mile from me.It's down for upgrade Dec 2013 but on here http://atomik.kerrycoco.ie/broadband/news.htm
    it says its completed.Not looking good for me though as About 2 months ago eircom replaced all the cable on my road due to water damage ,Wasn't yellow.

codie wrote: »
    Saw workmen rolling out some yellow cable in Listowel Co.Kerry today about a mile from me.It's down for upgrade Dec 2013 but on here http://atomik.kerrycoco.ie/broadband/news.htm
    it says its completed.Not looking good for me though as About 2 months ago eircom replaced all the cable on my road due to water damage ,Wasn't yellow.

The cable on your road doesn't have to be yellow. The cable that is in our estate is the copper. You get copper from your house to the cabinet. FTTC = Fiber To The Cabinet. The yellow "cable" is actually ducting/tubing that is laid all the way towards each cabinet. It doesn't necessarily have to go into estates or roads like cul-de-sacs unless there were more than 192houses - but even then you most likely will have another entrance or a cabinet nearby a pedestrian entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

How near or far do you need to be from a cabinet ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭irishgeo

codie wrote: »
    How near or far do you need to be from a cabinet ?

anything above 1km is not good.

<100m = excellent

100m - 300m = v good

300m - <500 = good

>500 - 1km a sliding scale of it getting worse.

everyone line is going to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

irishgeo wrote: »
    anything above 1km is not good.

<100m = excellent

100m - 300m = v good

300m - <500 = good

>500 - 1km a sliding scale of it getting worse.

everyone line is going to be different.

Do them figures represent a cabinet or the actual VDSL main unit?

If it's cabinet I am just about 100 meters away from one I'd estimate!

Do them figures represent a cabinet or the actual VDSL main unit?

If it's cabinet I am just about 100 meters away from one I'd estimate!

What do you mean by cabinet or the actual VDSL main unit?

Look at the picture. Which one are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Bear in mind your line's route to your house may be longer or shorter than the distance to the cabinet by road.

It's also dependent on the type of wire used so, those figures aren't going to be perfectly accurate. They're just approximate guidelines.

red_bairn wrote: »
    What do you mean by cabinet or the actual VDSL main unit?

Look at the picture. Which one are you on about?

Sorry total noob here!

There's one or two of the cabinets (left in that picture) close enough me and I think I've only seen one of the other cabinets (right of the picture) in Castlebar. I could be wrong though!

• Advertisement

Sorry total noob here!

There's one or two of the cabinets (left in that picture) close enough me and I think I've only seen one of the other cabinets (right of the picture) in Castlebar. I could be wrong though!

Were they recently installed? (have you had bb for a while?)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SirMeow

Great...
    Rang a guy from magnet today.... He gave me details on the highest package....
    70mb download,20mb upload
    Already knew about the download but was curious about the upload....
    The package below that issss........
    50 down,15 up....
    Im sure most of you guys knew this but meh.....

I was also told that my exchange probably wont go live on the 20th even though they have already installed the fibre lines.I was told December... :cry:

red_bairn wrote: »
    Were they recently installed? (have you had bb for a while?)

Yeah I've had BB for a few years now. On the 8mb package I get about 5mb. I'm not sure how long they've been there spotted them in the mapping thread!

You know that graph you linked is that meters from a cabinet?

Yeah I've had BB for a few years now. On the 8mb package I get about 5mb. I'm not sure how long they've been there spotted them in the mapping thread!

You know that graph you linked is that meters from a cabinet?

Yeah. But they shouldn't be mapped on the VDSL map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Will this have implications for fixed wireless, i.e. does fixed wireless ultimately come fom the eircom network? My Ripplecom service is coming from a mast in Tara.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

I've read a few pages of this thread now, and have a few questions.

The Eircom website says I'm in an enabled area, so does that mean on May 20th I'll get fibre broadband, or will it be the usual crap that Dublin, Galway, etc. get it first and we'll have to wait three years?

Since it says you get a free upgrade will we just get upgraded automatically or what?

I'm in Letterkenny by the way

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Will this have implications for fixed wireless, i.e. does fixed wireless ultimately come fom the eircom network? My Ripplecom service is coming from a mast in Tara.

No. Ripplecom has nothing to do with the eircom network.
    This is delivering VDSL2 over phone lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I've read a few pages of this thread now, and have a few questions.

The Eircom website says I'm in an enabled area, so does that mean on May 20th I'll get fibre broadband, or will it be the usual crap that Dublin, Galway, etc. get it first and we'll have to wait three years?

Since it says you get a free upgrade will we just get upgraded automatically or what?

I'm in Letterkenny by the way

Letterkenny was part of phase one, the vdsl has been finished up here since December or so but Eircom was caught up in both marketing and red tape from comreg. We'll get it at launch... I'm hoping. I registered for it 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back from them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Letterkenny was part of phase one, the vdsl has been finished up here since December or so but Eircom was caught up in both marketing and red tape from comreg. We'll get it at launch... I'm hoping. I registered for it 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back from them yet.

I'm just outside Letterkenny and the site said I was fine for it.

I sent them a message on here and they said they would know nothing about it until May 20th however, which seems strange

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I'm just outside Letterkenny and the site said I was fine for it.

I sent them a message on here and they said they would know nothing about it until May 20th however, which seems strange

Yeah sales seem to be all confused about this launch.
    Here's a link I got in a letter from them about it to register anyway:
    http://www.eircom.net/ngamigrations/nga-migration-flow.htm?execution=e1s1

You can check out the fibre mapping thread to see how far you are from a cabinet, Letterkenny is fairly well covered from what I can tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

You won't start getting calls until 20th May. All you're doing at the moment is registering interest, from next Monday on they will be busy calling everyone telling them exactly what speeds they should achieve. They will not put you on 70mb if you'll only get up to 50mb for example.

You won't start getting calls until 20th May. All you're doing at the moment is registering interest, from next Monday on they will be busy calling everyone telling them exactly what speeds they should achieve. They will not put you on 70mb if you'll only get up to 50mb for example.

How will they know what speed you will get?

How will they know what speed you will get?

They'll be able to test the line I assume / will know how far you area away from the cabinet.

They also might just let people subscribe to the top package then do a free downgrade to the speed they can actually get.

Solair wrote: »
    They'll be able to test the line I assume / will know how far you area away from the cabinet.

They also might just let people subscribe to the top package then do a free downgrade to the speed they can actually get.

i have a funny feeling we could be all waiting out west while dublin gets setup 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Onto eircom there Cobh won't won't be launched til December 2013 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Onto eircom there Cobh won't won't be launched til December 2013 :(

At least you're on the list and getting connected!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Nolars wrote: »

Soooooo excited!!!!!!! :P - seriosuly cant wait!, i'm on the main Roaches St. exchange in Limerick....that'll go live right off the bat because it serves the city centre :)

i have a funny feeling we could be all waiting out west while dublin gets setup 1st.

It's rolling out in parts of "out west" before Dublin and Cork city centres.

It's not going to roll out in really rural areas but it is very suitable for small towns and even villages.

There are a lot of cases where 1 or 2 VDSL2 cabinets could bring viable broadband to small villages and associated housing estates etc that were previously served by long lines to an exchange in the next town / village.

One off rural housing isn't really going to be addressed by anything other than improved FWA (fixed wireless access) via an antenna on the roof.

First areas on stream include places like Letterkenny for example.

People in really rural areas need to lobby a lot harder for really good wireless and forget about DSL & cable. The technology doesn't exist to reach rural (one off) homes with this stuff at anything approaching a reasonable cost.

In most of Europe (including the UK) the development patterns are around clusters of homes and villages in rural areas. So you can quite easily connect a fibre to cabinet service to feed a village.

In Ireland and parts of the rural United States we have scatter development that's very difficult to connect up!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Nolars wrote: »
    Ain't churnalism great? :) Wonder if the same announcement appeared in the Irish Times and Silicon Republic? For those of us who remember the launch of DSL, this will be very familiar - Eircom issuing press releases to technology churnalists (about DSL arriving soon) who then ran them as news. Guess for most people, Efibre will be arriving real soon now (next few years?). Eircom will need the help of all the technology churnalists to get people in UPC areas to switch to what may be a more expensive service.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

I'll remain optimistic until about October. There'll be quite a large number of areas going live months ahead if schedule over the summer.

What'll be interesting is how many areas are announced after these current phases

Advertisement