Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 bluescorpion

Eircom are distributing E-Fibre leaflets to houses in northern Cork city suburbs (Wellington Road Exchange, Phase 4). "E-fibre will soon be available in your area". Just hope they get a hurry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Solair wrote: »
    I'll remain optimistic until about October. There'll be quite a large number of areas going live months ahead if schedule over the summer.

What'll be interesting is how many areas are announced after these current phases

If any ....... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

jmcc wrote: »
    Ain't churnalism great? :) Wonder if the same announcement appeared in the Irish Times and Silicon Republic? For those of us who remember the launch of DSL, this will be very familiar - Eircom issuing press releases to technology churnalists (about DSL arriving soon) who then ran them as news. Guess for most people, Efibre will be arriving real soon now (next few years?). Eircom will need the help of all the technology churnalists to get people in UPC areas to switch to what may be a more expensive service.

Regards...jmcc

I don't think it's strictly fair to say that this is churanlism. I think it's fairly informative, and it's not pimping Eircom like they would want.

If Eircom had their way Adrian Weckler would not have mentioned UPC at all, not to mention the fact that they offer 50-150 mb's which they cannot match. He also mentioned about the disparity in end-user speeds due to the "upto" nature of any dsl technology. Finally he mentioned how the other operators are not happy with the launch.

I think he's very factual on everything to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

any truth to this?

"The first phase of eircom’s €1.5 billion investment in Ireland’s broadband infrastructure will be launched by Enda Kenny, on Thursday, 16th May at an event in eircom’s head office in Heuston South Quarter.
    This event will also mark the launch of efibre, eircom’s new superfast fibre broadband product."

http://www.digitaltimes.ie/news-dt/digital-bytes-a-news-round-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Solair wrote: »
    In most of Europe (including the UK) the development patterns are around clusters of homes and villages in rural areas. So you can quite easily connect a fibre to cabinet service to feed a village.

They're rolling cable out at the top of my road going from Tara to trim exchanges), about 300m away. What do you think their policy on positioning of cabinets will be? There's one of the old cabinets about 1.5km away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I rang yesterday to 1800 503 503 and was told my exchange (Ballyboden) was ready to go and to make sure I had my expression of interest in. According to the Eircom web site, e-fibre is not available to my house (though it is to others in the estate). This morning I rang 1800 503 303 and was told I'd have it by the end of the year. I think I'll have to believe this second piece of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    They're rolling cable out at the top of my road going from Tara to trim exchanges), about 300m away. What do you think their policy on positioning of cabinets will be? There's one of the old cabinets about 1.5km away.

I don't live too far from you I'd say.

I'm about 600 meters from newly laid cable running through Dunsany Cross. There is an old green cabinet there, but no sign of any potential plinth for a new green cabinet. Interestingly, further away, there is an old green cabinet at the Junction on the Dublin Trim road near the now closed Dunsany Lodge and hole dug in the ground next to it.

We live in hope.

Currently, I'm getting less than 2MB from the exchange in Tara.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

vienne86 wrote: »
    I rang yesterday to 1800 503 503 and was told my exchange (Ballyboden) was ready to go and to make sure I had my expression of interest in. According to the Eircom web site, e-fibre is not available to my house (though it is to others in the estate). This morning I rang 1800 503 303 and was told I'd have it by the end of the year. I think I'll have to believe this second piece of information.

Tbh, you live near where the Fibre Pilot was for Dundrum and Sandyford. I wouldn't be surprised if your area was ready now or the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

Dundalk town was littered with eircom vans this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭shane7218

I cant get any broadband through the phone line so how about they sort out all of the homes that cant even get 1 meg through the line before upgrading area that already get a fairly decent service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Dundalk town was littered with eircom vans this morning :)

Well there are already 7 cabinets mapped but if you see them putting down any plinths elsewhere map the places down on the map (mapping thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

I rang 1901 yesterday to see could i get any info. Im living in Castlebar btw which is Phase 2. She told me "Yes, it will be available in your area on the 20th" but then she checked my address and said that the exchange I am on in Castlebar is yet to be finished but the other exchange is ready for the 20th launch... I am sure there is only one exchange in Castlebar :O Do you think she just didn't know. I was sure since the cabinets here have been done for months we'd be good for launch time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Colm R wrote: »
    I don't live too far from you I'd say.

I'm about 600 meters from newly laid cable running through Dunsany Cross. There is an old green cabinet there, but no sign of any potential plinth for a new green cabinet. Interestingly, further away, there is an old green cabinet at the Junction on the Dublin Trim road near the now closed Dunsany Lodge and hole dug in the ground next to it.

We live in hope.

Currently, I'm getting less than 2MB from the exchange in Tara.

I'm too far from Tara to get DSL, but am getting 4/5mb from the Ripplecom mast in Tara.
    I saw that old cabinet yesterday (went looking!), didn't see the hole, sounds like that'll be my nearest one @ 1.5km away, too far?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭irishgeo

leigh852 wrote: »
    I rang 1901 yesterday to see could i get any info. Im living in Castlebar btw which is Phase 2. She told me "Yes, it will be available in your area on the 20th" but then she checked my address and said that the exchange I am on in Castlebar is yet to be finished but the other exchange is ready for the 20th launch... I am sure there is only one exchange in Castlebar :O Do you think she just didn't know. I was sure since the cabinets here have been done for months we'd be good for launch time

in castlebar myself and i am certain there is only 1 exchange in the town ,Behind the courthouse across the road where the tennis club used to be. What part of town you in? I am out the westport Rd. does breaffy have its own exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Praetorian wrote: »
    I don't think it's strictly fair to say that this is churanlism. I think it's fairly informative, and it's not pimping Eircom like they would want.
    It is basic churnalism - light on specifics and loaded with generalities and a bright new future. Read the first paragraph of it again.

Looks like a press release was used to generate this wonderful, indepth bit of Irish technology journalism. :)

Regards...jmcc

irishgeo wrote: »
    in castlebar myself and i am certain there is only 1 exchange in the town ,Behind the courthouse across the road where the tennis club used to be. What part of town you in? I am out the westport Rd. does breaffy have its own exchange?

Same with me out the Westport rd about 200m from a shiny new VDSL Cab. Ya the only thing I can think of is something out Breaffy but would it not make more sense to enable Cbar town first. That being said I still think there is only one exchange! She made me very confused. id say she just hasn't a clue really :o

Same with me out the Westport rd about 200m from a shiny new VDSL Cab. Ya the only thing I can think of is something out Breaffy but would it not make more sense to enable Cbar town first. That being said I still think there is only one exchange! She made me very confused. id say she just hasn't a clue really :o

lucky you i manor village myself and the nearest cab is at best guess 500M away. Unless there is one hidden in the estate i havent seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

So has anyone got this fibre broadband from Eircom yet? Has anyone (particularly in a UPC area) been given a go-live/delivery date? Got the Eircom leaflet in the post but an online check says it is not available. Bit of a waste of direct mail marketing.

Regards...jmcc

lucky you i manor village myself and the nearest cab is at best guess 500M away. Unless there is one hidden in the estate i havent seen.

You'd be on the same cab as myself so, i'm just on the way in to Knockaphunta. I guess all will become clear on Monday :cool:

You'd be on the same cab as myself so, i'm just on the way in to Knockaphunta. I guess all will become clear on Monday :cool:

I guess so.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

there is only one exchange in the Cbar cos i worked for a company taking out the old relays that they used and got it set up for the new equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    I'm too far from Tara to get DSL, but am getting 4/5mb from the Ripplecom mast in Tara.
    I saw that old cabinet yesterday (went looking!), didn't see the hole, sounds like that'll be my nearest one @ 1.5km away, too far?

The hole is surrounded by cones with Eircom yellow tape, and there is other construction work in the area at the moment. I'll be watching it closely and hoping for a result at the cabinet closer to me.

1.5KM - I don't know to be honest.

Do you know where the Ripplcom mast is - I would be interested to see how they might work for me, but I'm going to keep an eye on Eircom first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I guess so.:D

Are your houses listed on the eircom checker on their site lads?

Two houses in mine are. I'm in the oaks. Has me doubting I can get it!

Finical wrote: »
    Are your houses listed on the eircom checker on their site lads?

Two houses in mine are. I'm in the oaks. Has me doubting I can get it!

mine pops up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

I'd say she just didn't have a clue what she was talking about there hasn't been any work in Castlebar for months so i'm 90% sure they're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

they are done iv had plenty of eircom rep as my door.iasked one rep who had no clue what he was selling where the nearest cabnit was to and he pointed to a esb power cabinet thats in the middle of the estate:confused::confused: and said thats it there you will get gret speed
    id say he would have sold his granny to make a sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

naughto wrote: »
    they are done iv had plenty of eircom rep as my door.iasked one rep who had no clue what he was selling where the nearest cabnit was to and he pointed to a esb power cabinet thats in the middle of the estate:confused::confused: and said thats it there you will get gret speed
    id say he would have sold his granny to make a sale

I wonder is it the same eircom rep that's in my estate currently. He looked a bit lost and skipped most houses on my side apart from my neighbour! hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Any catch/drawback to signing up to this eFibre stuff, or is it just a straight up no-drawbacks upgrade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Comreg will not allow Eircom to put staff on duty after hour's to meet the demand of all companies customer's service request's till 3 MONTH'S from 20th May - figure that one cause I can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Comreg will not allow Eircom to put staff on duty after hour's to meet the demand of all companies customer's service request's till 3 MONTH'S from 20th May - figure that one cause I can't.

Waste of space Comreg are.

Advertisement