Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I spoke to Digiweb (Smart's parent) and they seemed rather knowledgable and said they're going to be signing people up from Monday too!

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Solair wrote: »
    I spoke to Digiweb (Smart's parent) and they seemed rather knowledgable and said they're going to be signing people up from Monday too!

Anything on prices yet? Did they say anything about who'd be installing and when?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Any catch/drawback to signing up to this eFibre stuff, or is it just a straight up no-drawbacks upgrade?

18 month contract? Same price as NGB.
    Mickalus wrote: »
    Anything on prices yet? Did they say anything about who'd be installing and when?

Eircom wholesale will more than likely issue the engineers for installation meaning they could be wearing apparel from either of the resellers as well as eircom itself. Not sure if it's free from other providers though?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Just how far from one of these boxes would you have to be to get fibre broadband?

Because one part of the eircom site says Im in an enabled area, just outside Letterkenny, while another section says Im not.

The nearest box I can find is just under 2 miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Just how far from one of these boxes would you have to be to get fibre broadband?

Because one part of the eircom site says Im in an enabled area, just outside Letterkenny, while another section says Im not.

The nearest box I can find is just under 2 miles away

after 1km performance drops hugely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all, in loose reference to Solair`s earlier post (number 3062), a neighbor of mine 2 doors away is with digi-web and got a letter in last week stating that they would be automatically updated to fibre on launch date(20th), i myself am a smart telecom customer basically the same company and i have had no word at all about what is happening automatically or other wise on my end.

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Workers busy supplying power to cabinets in Enniscorthy today,hopefully they're as fast doing this as they were running the fibre & installing the cabs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If you are in Phase 5, is it ahead of schedule? I'm in Tullamore, 3 cabinets on the map but I don't know if that means they are done or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

irishgeo wrote: »
    after 1km performance drops hugely.

By 'hugely' do you mean 70m to say 30m or 5m? Think I'll be 1.7km away and currently getting 4/5/ from ripplecom.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

5 days, tick-tock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

efb wrote: »
    If you are in Phase 5, is it ahead of schedule? I'm in Tullamore, 3 cabinets on the map but I don't know if that means they are done or not

Yep. Phase 5 was to start later this year or early next year.

The cabinets may be in place but power has to be connected to them. ESB must address that situation.

apophis wrote: »
    Hi all, in loose reference to Solair`s earlier post (number 3062), a neighbor of mine 2 doors away is with digi-web and got a letter in last week stating that they would be automatically updated to fibre on launch date(20th), i myself am a smart telecom customer basically the same company and i have had no word at all about what is happening automatically or other wise on my end.

apophis :cool:

Spoke to them today and they were saying they'd confirm pricing on Friday and Smart customers can switch but that it might involve moving to a different package on Digiweb

They also said eircom's 6 - 8 months ahead of schedule on cabinet rollouts!

They also said eircom's 6 - 8 months ahead of schedule on cabinet rollouts!

Yep. Only 5500 more to be installed! :D

18 month contract? Same price as NGB.

Eircom wholesale will more than likely issue the engineers for installation meaning they could be wearing apparel from either of the resellers as well as eircom itself. Not sure if it's free from other providers though?

I spoke with magnet and they'll be charging 50 quid for the privilege, said its to cover the Eircom engineers cost.

Got a call from Eircom today about moving over, No info about when the actual install would be which is really frustrating.
    They'll be "selling" it come Monday, but no idea as to when anyone will actually get it.

Be interesting to see how that goes. If each one takes 2-3 hours, I wonder will they go based on who signed up first, or do them based on number of orders per cabinet and get a few done at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Mickalus wrote: »
    I spoke with magnet and they'll be charging 50 quid for the privilege, said its to cover the Eircom engineers cost.

Got a call from Eircom today about moving over, No info about when the actual install would be which is really frustrating.
    They'll be "selling" it come Monday, but no idea as to when anyone will actually get it.

Be interesting to see how that goes. If each one takes 2-3 hours, I wonder will they go based on who signed up first, or do them based on number of orders per cabinet and get a few done at the same time.

Appointments would be on a first come first serve basis as they are engineers from wholesale. So each provider books appointments through wholesale, no preference given to anyone. Not every install will take that long, that figure is based on the fact the engineer will, if you require, install up to 30m of extension cable to have the modem in a different location to the NTU.

Appointments would be on a first come first serve basis as they are engineers from wholesale. So each provider books appointments through wholesale, no preference given to anyone. Not every install will take that long, that figure is based on the fact the engineer will, if you require, install up to 30m of extension cable to have the modem in a different location to the NTU.

I would imagine it would take a similar length of time to a sky installation and maybe less as there's no dish to fit on the roof.

In a lot of cases it might just be a case of swapping a socket and minor wiring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Eircom's new E Fibre network launch's in just over an hour from now @ 11.15 am in Eircom's headquarter's at HSQ1 by An Taoiseach Enda Kenny and CEO Herb Hribar and will be available from Mon 20th May at 9.00 am.
    The big day has arrived , pity SB is missing he should be here as his contribution to this thread has been massive in the extreme.
    78 Additional new area's to be completed by June 2015 - I have seen the list all are ''rural area's'' with only one in Dublin if my memory serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

is there to view the list, I went around my neighbourhood yesterday and was surprised to see there was no cabs at all!!

That's good to know, the next big questions however is do the other ISP's have their **** together and are they booking appointments?!?

I wonder how many people are signed up and ready for installs at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Eircom's new E Fibre network launch's in just over an hour from now @ 11.15 am in Eircom's headquarter's at HSQ1 by An Taoiseach Enda Kenny and CEO Herb Hribar and will be available from Mon 20th May at 9.00 am.
    The big day has arrived , pity SB is missing he should be here as his contribution to this thread has been massive in the extreme.
    78 Additional new area's to be completed by June 2015 - I have seen the list all are ''rural area's'' with only one in Dublin if my memory serves me right.

Heard about this last week but why isn't there any info about it online? No press release or anything on eircom website.. and why don't they say exactly what locations will be live on Monday? They just say '300,000 homes' - where?

• Advertisement

smemon wrote: »
    Hear about this last week but why isn't there any info about it online? No press release or anything on eircom website..

I saw it mentioned somewhere. I think it was in the Irish Times. :s

• Registered Users Posts: 25 jewson

it was just mentioned on iRadio there.

There are over 15,000 pre sold service request's for Mon , and that may be only one company.
    The Appointment's system is an open equal access system , that all Eircom wholesale customer's have access too.It has been developed over the year's to give equal access to every company using Eircom's network's WITH OUT favour.
    There are basically appointment slot's for every area and for every tech on a FAST team in that area.
    Eircom tech's can suggest an appointment time but cannot make them , because a requested appointment time may have been booked in advance for that tech , by another service user. Hth's 10

smemon wrote: »
    Hear about this last week but why isn't there any info about it online? No press release or anything on eircom website..

ah, it was your post.

They'll probably do one for Monday and mention today's event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

red_bairn wrote: »
    ah, it was your post.

They'll probably do one for Monday and mention today's event.

Vodafone better ring me Monday. The secrecy around the whole thing is mad.

The secrecy surrounding the whole roll out has been maddening - even though I work for Eircom , it's been impossible to find out anything about the roll out - I think a lot of this has to do with Comreg. The only reason I have been able to post update's has been from word of mouth and talking to the planner's and team member's involved.NO ONE in Eircom apart from those in the know have had access to any serious information regarding the roll out.
    EG , 78 additional exch's are now been added - I do know that planning and a lot of work has all ready gone in to these area's - June 2015 - more like late summer 2014.

I suppose they didn't want UPC stealing their thunder and offering a better, cheaper product...

That's never happen :)

I suppose they didn't want UPC stealing their thunder and offering a better, cheaper product...

That's never happen :)

UPC looming in the shadows.

But ComReg has also caused Eircom to have a banging headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

its mentioned here but this bit is a bit worrying,

"Ireland Offline congratulated the current Eircom management. The group said: "The scale of their rollout, for example, on the northern fringes of Dublin/Fingal and in parts of Wicklow/Louth is very impressive and for the first time they will deliver more than adequate broadband services to many areas. We hope that other neighbouring exchanges follow quickly over the next few months."

no mention of cork etc or rest of country.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0516/450655-eircom-launches-fibre-broadband-products/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭clohamon

efb wrote: »

Sorry to say, I had a look around Tullamore and could not find any VDSL cabinets at those three locations. There are cable panels though.

Advertisement