Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    its mentioned here but this bit is a bit worrying,

"Ireland Offline congratulated the current Eircom management. The group said: "The scale of their rollout, for example, on the northern fringes of Dublin/Fingal and in parts of Wicklow/Louth is very impressive and for the first time they will deliver more than adequate broadband services to many areas. We hope that other neighbouring exchanges follow quickly over the next few months."

no mention of cork etc or rest of country.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2013/0516/450655-eircom-launches-fibre-broadband-products/

It's RTE! If it doesn't happen in the Carpark or the Merrion Shopping Centre, the extension lead doesn't reach long enough for them to cover it on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Imagine don't seem to know about these plans at all. Very disappointing. May have to change provider on a bunch of lines on Monday / Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I hope I'm near the start of the list, registered my interest as soon as I could!
    I wonder will they be calling people as soon as 9am comes around, finishing the college exams tomorrow so I'd be about the house all day on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Eircom goes live with up to 70Mbps fibre network

Eircom has gone live with the first phase of its €1.5bn fibre network which will deliver speeds up to 70Mbps to some 300,000 homes initially. By the time the network rollout is complete, it will reach more than 1.2m homes across Ireland.

Eircom is rolling out next-generation broadband systems that will bring fibre as far as the street with existing copper lines carrying the higher-speed data into the home or business via what’s known as VDSL.

The plan is to have 1m homes passed by the end of 2014 and Eircom recently revealed it is extending its coverage to 1.2m homes.

In late August or early September, Eircom will also launch its first 4G services.

At Eircom’s headquarters in Dublin this morning, Taoiseach Enda Kenny, TD, launched the new network, which Eircom calls ‘eFibre’.

eFibre will offer download speeds of up to 70Mbps and upload speeds of up to 20Mbps.

The service will start at €40 for consumers and €24.79 for businesses. Eircom will begin taking orders from customers in areas where the next-generation broadband services are available.

The company said there will be an unlimited download allowance for all eFibre products above the entry level.

Existing Eircom broadband customers who qualify will be able to upgrade for free to eFibre, which will require a new type of modem, which will come free.

“This is the first in a series of announcements that will demonstrate how Eircom is offering customers fast, reliable and competitively priced products,” said Kevin White, consumer managing director at Eircom.

“No one else can offer a triple play bundle with eFibre, home phone and eMobile, and we won’t stop there, as we move towards introducing Ireland’s first quad-play service.”

Eircom claims eFibre is the only fibre, voice and mobile triple play offering in the market today.

For home customers, bundles with unlimited off-peak local and national calls prices start at €40 for 50Mbps and 30GB usage, €45 for 50Mbps and unlimited usage and €55 for 70Mbps with unlimited usage.

Triple play packages with home phone, fibre and mobile voice and data prices start at €55 for 50Mbps with 30GB and €70 for 70Mbps with unlimited usage.

Business products start at €24.79 for 30Mbps with one static IP address, €40 for 70Mbps and eight static IP addresses and €65 with up to eight static IP addresses.

“The speed and reliability of eFibre allows businesses to work faster, more efficiently and manage their costs effectively,” said Eircom director of SME David Walsh.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32664-eircom-goes-live-with-up-to/

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Praetorian wrote: »
    Imagine don't seem to know about these plans at all. Very disappointing. May have to change provider on a bunch of lines on Monday / Tuesday.

I reckon Imagine are just in denial at the moment and hoping that if they ignore it they still might be able to shift some of their WiMax inventory.

• Advertisement

Codpeas wrote: »
    I reckon Imagine are just in denial at the moment and hoping that if they ignore it they still might be able to shift some of their WiMax inventory.

Well they will also be shifting some of their customers come next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They "can i get it?" keeps getting updated, houses closer to mine are eligible - its looking good!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

Am going out on a limb here - is there anyway the Mod's could grant Sponge Bob political asylum on this thread , put him under house arrest here even - It just seem's SO wrong , that the biggest communication's roll out in 20 year's is happening in front of us and Sponge Bob ain't here.
    I'm just asking respectfully asking (I have had no contact with Bob) but this brilliant thread would not be here without him or Psygnosis who started it - Sponge Bob - bealtine or Solair who were the first poster's - and because of their huge contribution , we have seen other massive input's from Praetorian , TBC , Arctan , Zerk's etc to name but a few.But primarily just for people I recommend this site to every day in the line of my work and in particular the poster's who make it , such a brilliant thread by giving it their personal time and resource's - pls pls pls and pretty please - Let Bob back even on Parole - we'll all tell if he get's bold - 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I'm sure we could even arrange to have him electronically tagged :) There's enough electronics / comms knowhow around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Am going out on a limb here - is there anyway the Mod's could grant Sponge Bob political asylum on this thread , put him under house arrest here even -

Don't worry the Sponge may not be here "physically" but he's here in spirit:)

A few of us from here are keeping him updated

• Advertisement

His terrible crime has been punished this time. I think the ban could be permanent. Who knows what his crime actually was? 

The whole forum took a nose dive as soon as he got the boot :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭10belowzero

It did , but Praetorian poster's like you and all the rest that I mentioned keep it going , and Thank You for the time You and ALL THE MOD'S give - You are all Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Can anyone tell me where these 300,000 homes it passes by are?

Is it just all Dublin at the minute or are they rolling it out according to Phase 1, 2, 3 plan etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

its as per the phases 1, 2 etc but no one knows if phase 1 is dublin only or.... wait until monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

ElNino wrote: »
    Eircom has gone live with the first phase of its €1.5bn fibre network which will deliver speeds up to 70Mbps to some 300,000 homes initially. By the time the network rollout is complete, it will reach more than 1.2m homes across Ireland.

Does anyone know how that number of 1.2M homes compares to the number of homes which can currently avail of ADSL?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    its as per the phases 1, 2 etc but no one knows if phase 1 is dublin only or.... wait until monday.

http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

Go there and then click on the map on the right, then check the boxes for the phases and you'll see where they are.

Phase 1:
    Ballyboden Dublin
    Clonee Meath
    Donabate Dublin
    Dooradoyle Limerick
    Douglas Cork
    Letterkenny Donegal
    Mervue Galway
    Palmerstown Dublin
    Swords Dublin
    Tallaght Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,995 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bunclody is listed in Phase 5. :)

The cabinet is about 500m to my house in a direct line, but could easily be over a kilometre due to the way the cabling is laid. :(

Hopefully the cabinet far closer to me which is next to a primary school, up the hill from a secondary school and about 100m away from an ESB box will be enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Was listening to the news on today FM, people from rural areas were going mad textin in haha.

The cabinet is about 500m to my house in a direct line, but could easily be over a kilometre due to the way the cabling is laid. :(

Hopefully the cabinet far closer to me which is next to a primary school, up the hill from a secondary school and about 100m away from an ESB box will be enabled.

Is there a way to find out the cable maps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Mc Love wrote: »
    They "can i get it?" keeps getting updated, houses closer to mine are eligible - its looking good!!

My house still isn't there! Two houses in the estate are though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Would be nice to hear from anyone who has actually gone live.

I register a few weeks ago, but have NO idea when I might actually get it. Fairly sure that the relevant CAB has been enabled as I saw Eircom very busy working at it last week.

KOR101 wrote: »

I register a few weeks ago, but have NO idea when I might actually get it. Fairly sure that the relevant CAB has been enabled as I saw Eircom very busy working at it last week.

Are you suggesting people have gone live already apart from the Pilot Phase of course?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Mc Love wrote: »
    Are you suggesting people have gone live already apart from the Pilot Phase of course?!

Nobody has gone live. They can't go live until Monday by ComReg's rules. Even then, the residents must wait for the engineers to install the modem and sort out their lines/ntu (master socket).

It's a good sign that they've started there and Gorey. They have made huge progress. I just hope they keep it up and it's the same way for their customer service and installation program. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

50mb fibre with a 30GB cap....lol, only Eircom could come up with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

red_bairn wrote: »
    Nobody has gone live. They can't go live until Monday by ComReg's rules. Even then, the residents must wait for the engineers to install the modem and sort out their lines/ntu (master socket).
    Yes, I knew that.

So, it was just clumsy reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Where did you get that info? Link?

Yeah, that's a joke. Just get rid of caps altogether.
    Yes, I knew that.

So, it was just clumsy reporting?

They mean the network/service is live. They don't mean that people can use it.
    PeadarB wrote: »
    Where did you get that info? Link?

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32664-eircom-goes-live-with-up-to/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

does any one know when phase 2 is to go live?

Advertisement