Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

ferpur wrote: »
    does any one know when phase 2 is to go live?

10zero may know, but nothing has been said yet for the next date. I'd hope for 2-4 to be turned on by the end of July, but one can only dream. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

32 exchanges go live on Monday, well a few have been "live" on a trial basis for Eircom and other operators to make sure billing systems etc.. work

eircom installs to pilot customers have been going on the last month, I said previously installs will happen from Monday on, but this has been put back to the Wednesday, jobs from Wednesday on are already lined up with each technician on the install side of things being allocated nearly 5 weeks work, this will continue on a rolling basis until the initial install spike has dropped, which will be possibly after the summer, but this will happen each time a new phase comes on line

exchanges will be updated by 70-120 customers a day depending on the demand and density, with a mixture of eircom staff and contractors all working under the "Eircom Wholesale" guise with up to 25 staff on higher density exchanges working on NGA installs alone.

re: the cabs, don't want to sound pessimistic, but even if they are installed, it's only a sign that the upgrade is due to go ahead, that's KN's side of things, they'll install the cab, but the ducting or everything else might not be in place. I know of two exchange areas where KN are installing cabs, but no subduct is in the ground, and the exchange equipment hasn't even been set up yet, from other exchanges, the process from start to finish seems to be 3-6 months, then Im not sure if its ready to go, do Eircom have to give notice to Comrag of its pending exchange going live, and give out a notice period (which was 6months) to other operators .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

does any one know when phase 2 is to go live?

It's not quite following the original phases. Some areas are six-months ahead of the original phased schedule!

So, just watch this space. Info will appear as its known.

Which exchange are you on?

arctan wrote: »
    32 exchanges go live on Monday, well a few have been "live" on a trial basis for Eircom and other operators to make sure billing systems etc.. work

eircom installs to pilot customers have been going on the last month, I said previously installs will happen from Monday on, but this has been put back to the Wednesday, jobs from Wednesday on are already lined up with each technician on the install side of things being allocated nearly 5 weeks work, this will continue on a rolling basis until the initial install spike has dropped, which will be possibly after the summer, but this will happen each time a new phase comes on line

exchanges will be updated by 70-120 customers a day depending on the demand and density, with a mixture of eircom staff and contractors all working under the "Eircom Wholesale" guise with up to 25 staff on higher density exchanges working on NGA installs alone.

re: the cabs, don't want to sound pessimistic, but even if they are installed, it's only a sign that the upgrade is due to go ahead, that's KN's side of things, they'll install the cab, but the ducting or everything else might not be in place. I know of two exchange areas where KN are installing cabs, but no subduct is in the ground, and the exchange equipment hasn't even been set up yet, from other exchanges, the process from start to finish seems to be 3-6 months, then Im not sure if its ready to go, do Eircom have to give notice to Comrag of its pending exchange going live, and give out a notice period (which was 6months) to other operators .

I've seen here in Greystones that we have a few cabinets already in place but the power hasn't been sorted by ESB. Will they wait until all cabinets are in place to begin that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

50mb fibre with a 30GB cap....lol, only Eircom could come up with this.

Clever actually, will make most customers just choose the unlimited for an extra €5 per month. Plus from a marketing perspective it allows them to advertise 50mb broadband from just €40 p/m. (6 month discount of €5 for new customers)

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    I've seen here in Greystones that we have a few cabinets already in place but the power hasn't been sorted by ESB. Will they wait until all cabinets are in place to begin that work?

KN afaik have been doing a few of the easier installs of the ESB, however, it could be a case where a supply is not handy and they have to get planning permission, or traffic permission to dig up/shut down some paths or roads,

usually it's an all in one, get in and out job, unless there are snags

KN afaik have been doing a few of the easier installs of the ESB, however, it could be a case where a supply is not handy and they have to get planning permission, or traffic permission to dig up/shut down some paths or roads,

usually it's an all in one, get in and out job, unless there are snags

KN dug up the road across from the 2000th cabinet and have the power unit cable under the road towards the ESB pole. At that pole and ours, we have a blue rope stuffed into the red tube that comes up from the ground, right against those poles. But ESB must have to connect what ever is in that tube to their supplies on those poles...?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

Solair wrote: »
    It's not quite following the original phases. Some areas are six-months ahead of the original phased schedule!

So, just watch this space. Info will appear as its known.

Which exchange are you on?
    Drogheda Dublin rd

Drogheda Dublin rd

What estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

1st person who shares the list of 30 exchanges wins a prize :)

• Advertisement

five oaks like you

red_bairn wrote: »
    KN dug up the road across from the 2000th cabinet and have the power unit cable under the road towards the ESB pole. At that pole and ours, we have a blue rope stuffed into the red tube that comes up from the ground, right against those poles. But ESB must have to connect what ever is in that tube to their supplies on those poles...?

there's your answer so. I know they have done some supplies, but that pole means a new cable will have to be run from up the top of it, something only the ESB cherrypicker crews are supposed to do

there's your answer so. I know they have done some supplies, but that pole means a new cable will have to be run from up the top of it, something only the ESB cherrypicker crews are supposed to do

So fingers crossed that the cherrypicker crews come soon! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

I think people may be pleasantly surprised at the quickness of the rollout (here's hoping anyway).

I'm in Balbriggan (Phase 3) and there does appear to be an urgency about all the work. It was just last week that I saw Eircom with work benches out working on the CAB in front of the Garda station. Why would they be doing this, rather than focus on Phase 1, if it wasn't going to go live soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

KOR101 wrote: »
    I think people may be pleasantly surprised at the quickness of the rollout (here's hoping anyway).

I'm in Balbriggan (Phase 3) and there does appear to be an urgency about all the work. It was just last week that I saw Eircom with work benches out working on the CAB in front of the Garda station. Why would they be doing this, rather than focus on Phase 1, if it wasn't going to go live soon?
    Yep fingers crossed ... the 2 cabs in my estate were provisioned weeks ago according to the eircom tech I spoke to a few weeks back, whilst he was running some checks ...

Praetorian wrote: »
    1st person who shares the list of 30 exchanges wins a prize

Tallaght
    Ballyboden
    Bray
    Rochestown
    Swords
    Sandyford
    Belcamp
    Douglas
    Priory Park
    Dun Laoghaire
    Palmerstown
    Ennis
    Ballincollig
    Coolock
    Tralee
    Kilkenny
    Drogheda
    Mullingar
    Letterkenny
    Quaker Rd (Cork)
    Dundrum
    Castlebar
    Ballina
    Shantalla
    Clonee
    Dooradoyle (Limerick)
    Rathedmond (Sligo)
    Mervue (Galway)
    Roche St (Limerick)
    Donabate
    Wexford
    Westport

What do I win? ;)

five oaks like you

Five oaks for some reason doens't appear on the website checker... Double check on the phone with Eircom/Vodafone though because Five Oaks is connected to the exchange that goes live on Monday.

that's what I was thinking I think will wait and see what's happening on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bit odd that Wexford is on the list and no work has been reported from there:rolleyes:

They already have fibre in parts of the town but it's restricted and not everywhere has it.

it's a continuation of it being a fibre pilot area, in that it should be expanded and orders taken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

it's a continuation of it being a fibre pilot area, in that it should be expanded and orders taken

Problem is that expansion has ground to a halt down there due to no fault of Eircom.

both were FTTH areas, and I think customers had to pay to get the fibre in so that may be why, both will be deployed with FTTC in most of it's cabs areas, take up might be a bit better then ...

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tdonegan1990

New fibre cabinet in Dundalk just opposite the fountain at the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Tallaght
    Ballyboden
    Bray
    Rochestown
    Swords
    Sandyford
    Belcamp
    Douglas
    Priory Park
    Dun Laoghaire
    Palmerstown
    Ennis
    Ballincollig
    Coolock
    Tralee
    Kilkenny
    Drogheda
    Mullingar
    Letterkenny
    Quaker Rd (Cork)
    Dundrum
    Castlebar
    Ballina
    Shantalla
    Clonee
    Dooradoyle (Limerick)
    Rathedmond (Sligo)
    Mervue (Galway)
    Roche St (Limerick)
    Donabate
    Wexford
    Westport

What do I win? ;)

Well my exchange is not on the list, I should have made that a condition! ;)

doh! Looks like Arctan is right as usual, lots of exchanges may look complete but are not. Hopefully Balbriggan will not be too much longer.

Still though, it is not a half bad launch list at all. Well done to Eircom.

Praetorian wrote: »
    Well my exchange is not on the list, I should have made that a condition! ;)

doh! Looks like Arctan is right as usual, lots of exchanges may look complete but are not. Hopefully Balbriggan will not be too much longer.

Still though, it is not a half bad launch list at all. Well done to Eircom.

Balbriggan is more or less done from what I've seen. But it's down as April 13 on the nga website? So I'm confused on that front.

might be "done", but not tested or commissioned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

New fibre cabinet in Dundalk just opposite the fountain at the square.

You should put this in the mapping thread

Details here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭briany

Just a thought... Will there be any jump in speeds in homes within live fibre areas but who have not yet had the tech out to install the special socket thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

briany wrote: »
    Just a thought... Will there be any jump in speeds in homes within live fibre areas but who have not yet had the tech out to install the special socket thing?

One of the Digiweb salespeople tried to tell me that once, but I'm not so sure.

Someone more in the know can answer for sure, but I think part of the process when you get it "installed" is to make a switch on the cabinet so that your line is hooked up to the fibre lines back to the exchange instead of the current copper line. Therefore if you're not switched over, you'll not notice an increase in speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

briany wrote: »

Nope, if your not on fibre then your current line is fed from the exchange bypassing the cabs.

Seen pricing and packages today. Can't post them but very reasonable! No reason to stay on ADSL in a VDSL area.

Advertisement