Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Nope, if your not on fibre then your current line is fed from the exchange bypassing the cabs.

Seen pricing and packages today. Can't post them but very reasonable! No reason to stay on ADSL in a VDSL area.

Dad is on 45 for 8MB and 5 for UK calls. He pays 50 for Chorus(UPC) television. Do you think we'd get a decent bundle when Eircom releases the tv topbox in Sept or later? It would great to have a bundle like the UPC for a similar price.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Nope, if your not on fibre then your current line is fed from the exchange bypassing the cabs.

Seen pricing and packages today. Can't post them but very reasonable! No reason to stay on ADSL in a VDSL area.

The package the door to door salesman sold me was 40 euro per month for whatever speed I can get (50 down, 16 up according to his wee sheet based on my address) No calls included but no download cap either.

Sound right to you?

Mickalus wrote: »
    The package the door to door salesman sold me was 40 euro per month for whatever speed I can get (50 down, 16 up according to his wee sheet based on my address) No calls included but no download cap either.

Sound right to you?

But according to the news article on here, it says you are capped at 30GB...

But If it is down on paper (and you have a copy), that you are getting unlimited, then fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

red_bairn wrote: »
    Dad is on 45 for 8MB and 5 for UK calls. He pays 50 for Chorus(UPC) television. Do you think we'd get a decent bundle when Eircom releases the tv topbox in Sept or later? It would great to have a bundle like the UPC for a similar price.

Sorry heard nothing on about TV.

Sound right to you?

Not too far off, depends on which provider you spoke to.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

Not too far off, depends on which provider you spoke to.

Eircom, whose packages did you see?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Five oaks for some reason doens't appear on the website checker... Double check on the phone with Eircom/Vodafone though because Five Oaks is connected to the exchange that goes live on Monday.

I've been on to Eircom 3 times now about this and 2 sales people said we would definitely get it because we are on the Drogheda exchange and 1 said we wouldn't be able to get it. I guess we won't know for sure until Monday. Any idea which cab we are connected to?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

red_bairn wrote: »
    But according to the news article on here, it says you are capped at 30GB...

But If it is down on paper (and you have a copy), that you are getting unlimited, then fair play.

Just read that article - I think those prices are very reasonalbe, even allowing for their usual stuff of upping the price after the first six months. Can't wait to get it.....though I might have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

LFCFan wrote: »
    I've been on to Eircom 3 times now about this and 2 sales people said we would definitely get it because we are on the Drogheda exchange and 1 said we wouldn't be able to get it. I guess we won't know for sure until Monday. Any idea which cab we are connected to?

Either Stameen or Beaubec I would assume, there isn't a physical cab outside or inside Five Oaks from what I can see. However most estates around you will be getting it so I'd assume you can but unfortunately all that can you really do is check eircoms website. If you fill in the interest form they will call you back anyway, but call sales up Monday morning and you should be able to get it. If not, I struggle to see why they've left one estate out on the Dublin Rd.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Either Stameen or Beaubec I would assume, there isn't a physical cab outside or inside Five Oaks from what I can see. However most estates around you will be getting it so I'd assume you can but unfortunately all that can you really do is check eircoms website. If you fill in the interest form they will call you back anyway, but call sales up Monday morning and you should be able to get it. If not, I struggle to see why they've left one estate out on the Dublin Rd.

I give up with their sales staff. They can only tell you what they see in front of them. 2 staff said we could get it based on what exchange we were on and another said we couldn't based on the line checker I think. Then again, Stameen has a cab but the line checked only lists 2 address as enabled so I don't think the checker is all that reliable. I will be livid if Five Oaks is the only estate on the Dublin Road that can't get it :mad:

LFCFan wrote: »
    I give up with their sales staff. They can only tell you what they see in front of them. 2 staff said we could get it based on what exchange we were on and another said we couldn't based on the line checker I think. Then again, Stameen has a cab but the line checked only lists 2 address as enabled so I don't think the checker is all that reliable. I will be livid if Five Oaks is the only estate on the Dublin Road that can't get it :mad:

The checker is made by eircom, I don't think anyone expects it to be reliable? :rolleyes:

I think you will get it, but check Monday anyway. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Did people get any calls from Eircom (callbacks) or did you have to call?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Just recieved an email from digiweb for fibre packages. Also includes smart telecom customers as I am a smart customer.

Hi,

Here are the details of the fibre broadband being released in your area.

Please see package details below.

All packages are upto 70mb download speed and upto 20mb upload speed depending on your distance from a cabinet.

All prices include line rental and VAT.

All packages are 18 month contract.

All packages have an installation fee for the fibre box in your hall and wifi modem of €49.

Fibre Lite: €39.95 per month. 70GB of traffic. Voiceover IP phone service.
    Fibre Plus: €54.95 per month. 200GB of traffic. Voiceover IP phone service
    Fibre Unlimited: €79.95 per month. 500GB of traffic. Voiceover IP phone service

Fibre Lite & line rental: €49.95 a month. 70GB of traffic. Keep existing phone number/get new number and all standard eircom phone line services will work through current/new line.
    Fibre Plus & line rental: €64.95 a month. 200GB of traffic. Keep existing phone number/get new number and all standard eircom phone line services will work through current/new line.
    Fibre Unlimited & line rental: €89.95 per month. 500GB of traffic. Keep existing phone number/get new number and all standard eircom phone line services will work through current/new line.

Add ons: You can get off peak calls free with all packages, anytime calls are €2.50 per month extra. You get Irish and UK landline calls and 30 minutes to mobiles.

My opinion is extremely expensive considering im paying 30 euro for upto 24mb and 350gb cap.
    The cap here is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

that is way over the top but thanks for posting, why have it so expensive? they must want no one to move over and make more out of sweating the copper. where is comreg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

One of the Digiweb salespeople tried to tell me that once, but I'm not so sure.

Someone more in the know can answer for sure, but I think part of the process when you get it "installed" is to make a switch on the cabinet so that your line is hooked up to the fibre lines back to the exchange instead of the current copper line. Therefore if you're not switched over, you'll not notice an increase in speeds.

No because you wil stil be connected to the local exchange (ADSL) and not the cabinet (VDSL)

I received that email 25mins ago, from digiweb sales. If this is the right pricing how many people would switch at that price.

Hope this pricing is wrong, but will just have to wait and c how this plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

crawler wrote: »
    No because you wil stil be connected to the local exchange (ADSL) and not the cabinet (VDSL)

So the old 'distance from the exchange' issue is now irrelevent and 'distance from the cabinet' is key?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

List of initial rollout exchanges sorted by county

Dublin

Dundrum, Priory Park, Sandyford, Ballyboden, Donabate, Palmerstown, Swords, Tallaght, Belcamp, Dun Laoghaire, Rochestown, Coolock

Cork

Douglas, Quaker Road

Limerick

Dooradoyle, Roches Street

Galway

Mervue, Shantalla

Sligo

Rathedmond

Louth

Drogheda

Westmeath

Mullingar

Clare

Ennis

Kerry

Tralee

Kilkenny

Kilkenny

Donegal

Letterkenny

Mayo

Ballina, Castlebar, Westport

Meath

Clonee

Wexford

Wexford

Wicklow

Bray

Source http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/A+complete+guide+to+Eircom%27s+new+fibre+broadband/id/19410615-5218-5194-a339-abcec8078601

Recieved another email to confirm digiweb/smart telecom pricing.

Yes these are the Digiweb package prices. The fibre broadband was always going to be more expensive than the DSL/NGB/LLU broadband.

There won’t be much difference package and pricewise between the companies doing the fibre.

No congestion to worry about either as well as the faster speeds.

This is a joke not a happy camper at all.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    So the old 'distance from the exchange' issue is now irrelevent and 'distance from the cabinet' is key?

100% correct (for VDSL "fibre") - still distance from the exchange for ADSL

GIMickey wrote: »
    Recieved another email to confirm digiweb/smart telecom pricing.

Yes these are the Digiweb package prices. The fibre broadband was always going to be more expensive than the DSL/NGB/LLU broadband.

There won’t be much difference package and pricewise between the companies doing the fibre.

No congestion to worry about either as well as the faster speeds.

This is a joke not a happy camper at all.

Much better deals will be available with other providers.

• Advertisement

Yea ill just wait until Monday/Tuesday to c other offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

crawler wrote: »
    100% correct (for VDSL "fibre") - still distance from the exchange for ADSL

Good news for some rural dwellers then despite what's being said in some parts of the media.....now where's that cabinet going to be!

Wow, Digiweb are expensive eh? Plus installation and modem fee? Interesting to see what Vodafone come out with. Impressed eircom have kept prices the same as NGB.

Too right they did too, because the fibre cable costs less to maintain and run so I believe. I'm debating whether or not to go with the 70mb instead of 50mb now as I'm within 300m of a cabinet, I don't usually download to be honest, more streaming than anything. Is 70mb of any real advantage to me?

20mb is more that enuf for streaming never mind 50mb.

But its up too u.

Personally I would get the 70 if I cud hold that much thats just because im greedy lol.

Wow, Digiweb are expensive eh? Plus installation and modem fee? Interesting to see what Vodafone come out with. Impressed eircom have kept prices the same as NGB.

Too right they did too, because the fibre cable costs less to maintain and run so I believe. I'm debating whether or not to go with the 70mb instead of 50mb now as I'm within 300m of a cabinet, I don't usually download to be honest, more streaming than anything. Is 70mb of any real advantage to me?

The upto 50Mb package will be a consistent speed. You will be told what your line can take and it won't change from this.

The upto 70Mb is a variable speed and can fluctuate. Will run at the max your line can take but can vary.

I would say the constant 50Mb would prob suit you better if you only use streaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

ElNino wrote: »
    List of initial rollout exchanges sorted by county

Dublin

Dundrum, Priory Park, Sandyford, Ballyboden, Donabate, Palmerstown, Swords, Tallaght, Belcamp, Dun Laoghaire, Rochestown, Coolock

Cork

Douglas, Quaker Road

Limerick

Dooradoyle, Roches Street

Galway

Mervue, Shantalla

Sligo

Rathedmond

Louth

Drogheda

Westmeath

Mullingar

Clare

Ennis

Kerry

Tralee

Kilkenny

Kilkenny

Donegal

Letterkenny

Mayo

Ballina, Castlebar, Westport

Meath

Clonee

Wexford

Wexford

Wicklow

Bray

Source http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/A+complete+guide+to+Eircom%27s+new+fibre+broadband/id/19410615-5218-5194-a339-abcec8078601

None in Tipperary. I'm disgusted. The biggest inland county in Ireland and we don't even get one!:(

tinyk68 wrote: »
    None in Tipperary. I'm disgusted. The biggest inland county in Ireland and we don't even get one!:(

Not to worry. There are cabinets popping up in Nenagh and Thurles.

Newport, Cahir, Cashel, Templemore, Roscrea and Tipperary town planned for next year. The work in each of those may start earlier than previously planned due to work being 6-8months ahead in various exchanges around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

Oh well that's good news. Although the nearest one to me from that list is Cahir and that's eight miles away. Any plans for any in the Clonmel area?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Just had an eircom rep to the door, he says I'll be getting a call on Monday but it will be Thursday before installations start.

• Advertisement

tinyk68 wrote: »
    Oh well that's good news. Although the nearest one to me from that list is Cahir and that's eight miles away. Any plans for any in the Clonmel area?

Clonmel planned Dec 13

Advertisement