Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Cheers lads! Always on speed sounds good to me. If only it was 4 or 5 years ago when I loved online gaming... :rolleyes:

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

GIMickey wrote: »
    Fibre Unlimited: €79.95 per month. 500GB of traffic. Voiceover IP phone service

At least the definition of UNLIMITED hasn't changed in the minds of ISP's in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Caherdavin in Limerick not on the list???...wtf eircom!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Caherdavin in Limerick not on the list???...wtf eircom!!

Phase 4, estimated date is December!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Phase 4, estimated date is December!

Tbh, some areas, like Greystones, are way ahead of schedule and could be done for late June. I reckon they'll be switching on Phase 2-3 within a few weeks. Phase 4 for late June/July.

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    Tbh, some areas, like Greystones, are way ahead of schedule and could be done for late June. I reckon they'll be switching on Phase 2-3 within a few weeks. Phase 4 for late June/July.

Hopefully, I'm on phase 5 with an estimated date of Dec '14 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Got told by eircom on twitter that the churchfield exchange in cork which was on phase 3 is "looking good for monday's release..."

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

LFCFan wrote: »
    At least the definition of UNLIMITED hasn't changed in the minds of ISP's in Ireland :rolleyes:

Ah sure what you need more than 500GB for... you must be up to no good downloading pirated movies, films and cars from napster :pac:

Cork981 wrote: »

Sweet! Hopefully we'll get a rough idea, over the next couple of days, about when we all can get fibre in our Internet diet. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Cork981 wrote: »
    Got told by eircom on twitter that the churchfield exchange in cork which was on phase 3 is "looking good for monday's release..."

Interesting.

Wellington Road seems to have loads of cabinets in place already too. I'd imagine that will be ready to roll before long.

I also noticed a cabinet on the Blackrock Road so I assume Hettyfield's now begun to be rolled out too.

If anyone's around Blackrock and Ballinlough or the Douglas Road (south of the elevated part of the South Ring) keep an eye out for cabinets and map them.

Cork City so far (excluding satellite towns where there has been loads of activity)

*Churchfield - Underway / Nearly ready.
    *Quaker Road - Seems to be complete and ready.
    *Douglas - Complete
    *Wellington Road - Underway / Seems to be a VDSL2 cab at every PCP, perhaps some new sites to go in?
    *Dennehy's Cross - Underway / Good bit to go yet.
    *Hettyfield - Just started.
    *Mahon - Haven't seen any cabinets yet.
    *Cork Central - Haven't seen any cabinets yet.

Another article by Silicon Republic,.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all, if GIMickey is right in what he posted earlier i can see a lot of migration from smart telecom/ digiweb ( i am with smart telecom myself) at those prices, other resellers are already looking promising,

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32703-now-that-eircoms-vdsl/

i for one will certainly be shopping around,

apophis :cool:

you just beat me to it red_bairn, but it does look good, yes

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32703-now-that-eircoms-vdsl/
    Packages start at €30 for 20GB broadband usage at speeds of up to 70Mbps, €35 for unlimited broadband usage and speeds up to 70Mbps and broadband packages with mobile, landline and international calls starting at €40 rising to €47.50 and €55.

These are correct from what I have seen. Bolded one looks particularly good for people who don't want a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

€35 a month for unlimited downloads with Vodafone,I'm paying that atm for 165GB download limit.

The mini diggers are busy in Enniscorthy as they connect power to the new cabs.Gonna be tight for a launch on the 20th as a few cabs have yet to be installed but the plinths are ready.
    I wonder will they go live with the ones that are ready or will they wait until all are installed and have power to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

I was onto magnet today looking for more info was told that they have been assigned 25000 addresses from eircom since last week seem to be getting about 5000 a week.
    they say they do not have my address yet but could get it any day (I am in five oaks in Drogheda by the way).
    I would say eircom are concentrating on phase 1 addresses first.
    so no switch on for me on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

no word of sky doing any thing bit disappointed in that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Got a flyer in the door today says coming soon efibre :D

Lauch for Cobh is meant to be December :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

I called today Magnet sales. Representative told me I am already on the list and I will get VDSL in 10-15 days, I am in Ballincollig. My contract won't be renewed (ergo I can cancel the service within 30 days), no download cap, 70Mb down, 20Mbit up without phone and I will stay on the monthly 50 EUR/month price.

That sounds awesome, let's see when and what speed will I get. I am around 400m away from a cab, I hope in a 50/15 profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

The local engineers are going to have a job on their hand going round to nearly every single persons house in the area lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    The local engineers are going to have a job on their hand going round to nearly every single persons house in the area lol

We should time them. Whoever has an engineer visiting to setup fiber, time them and see how long it takes for them to arrive at your door and leave your house with the job done. If we get enough people to do it, we can work out an average and then multiply it by the number of houses Eircom are planning to upgrade.

We might be able to figure out how long it would take them to finish off a phase.

Same here, i have Simply Broadband at 30E pm and the 150GB add-on =36 per month.

So its a good deal, but even the basic pack with 20GB cap isint bad!....the cap on the DSL package is 15GB.

I'm sure you can add 150GB on top if you want, sure we'll see on Monday :)

zerks wrote: »
    €35 a month for unlimited downloads with Vodafone,I'm paying that atm for 165GB download limit.

The mini diggers are busy in Enniscorthy as they connect power to the new cabs.Gonna be tight for a launch on the 20th as a few cabs have yet to be installed but the plinths are ready.
    I wonder will they go live with the ones that are ready or will they wait until all are installed and have power to them?

We should time them. Whoever has an engineer visiting to setup fiber, time them and see how long it takes for them to arrive at your door and leave your house with the job done. If we get enough people to do it, we can work out an average and then multiply it by the number of houses Eircom are planning to upgrade.

We might be able to figure out how long it would take them to finish off a phase.

The auld wans will be making a brew and fry up for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

red_bairn wrote: »
    The auld wans will be making a brew and fry up for them.
    how many auld wans do you think are going for fibre broadband?:D

ferpur wrote: »

You'd be surprised what those randy mares would be in to! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

ferpur wrote: »
    You're overlooking the fact that there's loads of young'uns still living at home and they will be the ones pushing for the upgrade.
    The "auld wans" just can't help themselves from spoiling the guys who come to their homes to do their jobs. It's like Mrs. Doyle and the cup of tea... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

they are probably expecting it will take 2-3 hours per install. since they are all appointments if he manages to get it done in an hour he probably gets a nice extended break to chill out

Baneblade wrote: »
    they are probably expecting it will take 2-3 hours per install. since they are all appointments if he manages to get it done in an hour he probably gets a nice extended break to chill out

And stick his big tool in the auld wans box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

SickBoy wrote: »
    And stick his big tool in the auld wans box :D

...and the post matches the username

• Advertisement

allen175 wrote: »
    ...and the post matches the username

Ah comon now, that was a reference to a Father Ted episode similar to my reference to Mrs. Doyle in a previous post. I'm sure that kind of thing never happens ;)

Advertisement