Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Did someone have the Digiweb prices for fibre?

I rang eircom there and I'm not overly keen on switching to a package that has no UK calls on it.

Their sales team is really pushy and annoying. I wanted to know three simple things:

I explained that I have up to 24mbit/s broadband and unlimited IRL / UK landline calls and that's what I would like to keep if I'm switching over.

I then asked:
    1) How much is up to 24mbit/s (as that's what I have a the moment with another provider)
    2) How much is that with unlimited all day calls.
    3) Can you bundle in calls to the UK

They guy kept asking 'so what kind of internet usage do you have?'... 'what kind of calls would you be making, to where, what times of the day'?
    'do you have many people living in your house?'
    'do you have teenagers?'

I just got really frustrated and hung up as he just wouldn't give me the info I wanted and kept trying to sell me 8mbit/s broadband FFS!

That's not going to 'win back' anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Solair wrote: »
    Did someone have the Digiweb prices for fibre?

I rang eircom there and I'm not overly keen on switching to a package that has no UK calls on it.

Their sales team is really pushy and annoying. I wanted to know three simple things:

I explained that I have up to 24mbit/s broadband and unlimited IRL / UK landline calls and that's what I would like to keep if I'm switching over.

I then asked:
    1) How much is up to 24mbit/s (as that's what I have a the moment with another provider)

They guy kept asking 'so what kind of internet usage do you have?'... 'what kind of calls would you be making, to where, what times of the day'?
    'do you have many people living in your house?'
    'do you have teenagers?'

I just got really frustrated and hung up as he just wouldn't give me the info I wanted and kept trying to sell me 8mbit/s broadband FFS!

That's not going to 'win back' anyone!
    I had the same problem! Tried ringing to see can I get the fibre and I stated clearly that only two houses in my estate are listed on the "can I get it" checker. Your man on the line was like "your line can handle 24 mb" and was trying to get me upgraded to that.

I would of just preferred if he said I won't know further information until the 20th and got to the point. Didn't answer my question at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I then asked:

24 Mbps = €45 (eircom Broadband and Home Phone - Ultimate)-per month
    first 6 months (€60 per month thereafter).

Not sure about the calls but we spend a fiver on UK calls (which may be unlimited; Dad pays the bill).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

have Vodafone's prices been released yet? Apologies if I have missed it in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Flier in eMobile shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

this is from a press release

VF Packages start at €30 for 20GB broadband usage at speeds of up to 70Mbps, €35 for unlimited broadband usage and speeds up to 70Mbps and broadband packages with mobile, landline and international calls starting at €40 rising to €47.50 and €55.

“Customers can now choose from a range of new fibre-powered broadband packages,” de Groot said.

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    this is from a press release

VF Packages start at €30 for 20GB broadband usage at speeds of up to 70Mbps, €35 for unlimited broadband usage and speeds up to 70Mbps and broadband packages with mobile, landline and international calls starting at €40 rising to €47.50 and €55.

“Customers can now choose from a range of new fibre-powered broadband packages,” de Groot said.

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

red_bairn wrote: »
    Do you have a link?

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32703-now-that-eircoms-vdsl/

Vodafone, for its part, will go live on Monday with new fibre-powered services where users will be able to choose standalone fibre-powered broadband or a combination of phone line and broadband packages. Packages will start from €30 per month and will come with speeds of up to 70Mbps.

Vodafone Ireland consumer director Marcel de Groot said customers will be able to upgrade from Monday at no extra cost and that various discounts will apply for new and existing customers.

Packages start at €30 for 20GB broadband usage at speeds of up to 70Mbps, €35 for unlimited broadband usage and speeds up to 70Mbps and broadband packages with mobile, landline and international calls starting at €40 rising to €47.50 and €55.

“You only pay for what you need and most packages come with unlimited broadband usage. Keeping the plans simple allows the customer to be in control, choosing a plan that fits their needs without compromising on quality or speed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

SickBoy wrote: »
    Ah comon now, that was a reference to a Father Ted episode similar to my reference to Mrs. Doyle in a previous post. I'm sure that kind of thing never happens ;)

Down with this sort of thing!

Careful now...... :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭muffinhead

Do you have a link?

Here are the details for Vodafone's fibre packages taken from here:

http://www.realwire.com/releases/Vodafone-Keeps-It-Simple-With-New-Fibre-Powered-Broadband

00000001.gif

• Advertisement

That Vodafone package seems very good, although I suppose I could always go with 'naked VDSL' and use Blueface for my landline calls. I already have a good ATA and I might even upgrade to a proper VoIP DECT system.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

See http://www.uswitch.ie/broadband/news/2013/05/17/ambitious-new-superfast-efibre-broadband-from-eircom-revealed/

From the site, "uSwitch.ie has carried out a comparison between eircom’s entry level unlimited fibre power broadband and home phone offer with UPC’s equivalent package. Here is how the results add up:

If you compare “eFibre Advanced Unlimited” bundle with UPC’s counterpart “Fibre Power 50 + Anywhere 100” you will notice a fairly substantial difference in cost on a yearly basis.

eircom’s package costs €540 a year, while UPC’s package results in a cost of €402 a year. For new and returning eircom customers the yearly cost for the bundle rises to €580 when you take into account the €40 once-off setup fee.

However the difference in price can be largely attributed to factors such as the variations in call package features and the difference in upload speed capacity.

With eircom’s offer you get unlimited off-peak local and national calls. UPC offer customers 100 free minutes to Irish mobiles, landlines and twenty one selected international fixed line destinations. eircom appears to have the edge on upload speeds however, offering a service capable of delivering speeds up to 15Mb compared to UPC’s 5Mb".

Existing customers will receive free upgrade including connection and modem. The bundles are as for new and returning customers less the set-up costs.

"Bundles on offer for new customers:

eFibre Advanced

• Up to 50Mb download speed

• Up to 15Mb upload speed

• 30GB download allowance

• Unlimited Off-Peak local and national calls

• €40 per month for the first 6 months

• Free setup for existing customers

• €40 once-off setup fee for new and returning customers

eFibre Advanced Unlimited

• Up to 15 Mb upload speed

• Unlimited download allowance

• €45 per month

• €40 once-off setup fee for new and returning customers

eFibre Ultimate

• Up to 20Mb upload speed

• Unlimited download allowance

• €55 per month

• €40 once-off setup fee for new and returning customers"

If this is accurate eircom will be slightly more expensive but the trade-off in eircom's favour will be in upload speed. As UPC are not available in Letterkenny it doesn't matter that much for me.

As for the other players!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why are they only advertising 50mb? I thought it was going to be up to 70mb? Not that it matters where I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Somebody know what kind of modem will they supply? Technicolor?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Eircom will surely hard sell this on the upload speed!....5mb vs. 15mb or 10mb vs. 20mb on the high end packages! I think the Eircom/vodafone modems will be way snazzier then the rather lame EPC3295 from UPC.

I think Eircom have an advantage on local/national calls....most widely used calls by the vast majority. UPC *need* to up the upload, or increase the download to 80 or 100mb as standard!

UPC have real competition now!

domeld wrote: »
    Somebody know what kind of modem will they supply? Technicolor?

This one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

As posted elsewhere before, that thomson modem was for the trials, the one being released for efibre is a zyxel modem, http://www.neatdesign.ie/index.php/projects/project/47-eircom-fibre-modem-3d-visuals

what are vodafone using..... :confused:

Hopefully will be an option to bridge this s**t, or use own modem.

Eircom will surely hard sell this on the upload speed!....5mb vs. 15mb or 10mb vs. 20mb on the high end packages! I think the Eircom/vodafone modems will be way snazzier then the rather lame EPC3295 from UPC.

I think Eircom have an advantage on local/national calls....most widely used calls by the vast majority. UPC *need* to up the upload, or increase the download to 80 or 100mb as standard!

UPC have real competition now!

UPC can compete with that with a few mouse clicks. The technology they're using EuroDOCIS 3.0 delivers 122mbit/s upstream if they opt to switch that on.

Eircom's VDSL offering will push the upload speeds up, but UPC's technology is still vastly superior because its high bandwidth coax over the last mile rather than a phone line.

Nothing's forced UPC to react with better speeds on upload yet.

I'd say though the eircom network could potentially deliver excellent ping times as the NGN core is very high spec.

• Advertisement

domeld wrote: »
    Hopefully will be an option to bridge this s**t, or use own modem.

You won't be able to use your own modem as it would screw up vectoring and cause 100mbit/s service to be problematic for your neighbours on the same cabinet!

Vectoring is basically active management of the crosstalk on the wires coming from the cabinet. The DSLAM makes sure they all balance out against each other using software to actually actively manage the signals on each individual port to prevent it from interacting with other ports.

The modem needs to be compatible with that. So, they are very unlikely to allow 3rd party modems.

This is the tech that will allow them to go beyond 70mbit/s in the next step of the rollout probably in 2014

The cabinets already support it. They also support pair bonding ( using multiple lines simultaneously to deliver more bandwidth to a house) so there's a lot of potential to provide beyond 100mbits !

Bridge and use your own router!
    Don't buy a Vdsl modem tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭dubmick

Vodafone seem to be offering half price for six months. New customers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

You won't be able to use your own modem as it would screw up vectoring and cause 100mbit/s service to be problematic for your neighbours on the same cabinet!

So is it possible for people to actually try and use their own modem, get it working and cause those issues or will it just not work on that type of modem?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Christ not a bloody zyxel modem!

dubmick wrote: »
    Vodafone seem to be offering half price for six months. New customers only.

:rolleyes: ejits!....they could lock existing customers into a 24 month contract.
    i deffo will let my current contract expire, every year i just let it roll over and never botherd to shop around, not gonna do that again.

Mickalus wrote: »
    So is it possible for people to actually try and use their own modem, get it working and cause those issues or will it just not work on that type of modem?

Unlikely. I'd say the DSLAM may have the ability to identify an incompatible and would refuse to handshake or connect you.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Christ not a bloody zyxel modem!

positive voda will use a huawei

Unlikely. I'd say the DSLAM may have the ability to identify an incompatible and would refuse to handshake or connect you.

i assume they'll have alot of remote support built in as well.

Vectoring is basically active management of the crosstalk on the wires coming from the cabinet. The DSLAM makes sure they all balance out against each other using software to actually actively manage the signals on each individual port to prevent it from interacting with other ports.

The modem needs to be compatible with that. So, they are very unlikely to allow 3rd party modems.

This is the tech that will allow them to go beyond 70mbit/s in the next step of the rollout probably in 2014

The cabinets already support it. They also support pair bonding ( using multiple lines simultaneously to deliver more bandwidth to a house) so there's a lot of potential to provide beyond 100mbits !

Bridge and use your own router!
    Don't buy a Vdsl modem tho!

Hi,
    To bridge modem You need to have password. In Pilot program magnet and Eircom did not give admin password to modem. You can dump firmware and get password.
    Hopefully they will give admin login and password.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

the reason for the up to 50mb is for clarity, to say up to 70mb would need clarification, ie you must be sitting on top of the new green cabinet and to make it more complex there are two profiles that can be used. The first one that will be quoted is High speed rate adaptive and the second one is High stability VDSL2.

Who will decide which one is a conundrum but it is likely the customer will be the guinea pig, ie give them the fastest and if it wobbles a lot and they complain then switch to the more stable one.

With the first type it says in the blurb you will get 70 mb down and 20mb up at a max of 300metres. With the second profile it states you will get max 50mb down and 5-16mb up at 200m.

At the moment I have been quoted 40mb down and 10mb up and I am in the 750m-850m range using the rate adaptive. In truth we wont know until the new modem is connected and wiring checked and whose to say eircom wont change the profiles downwards if problems arise.

They should do as bt does, it allows you to input your telephone number and that then tells you the max speeds to expect. No doubt eircom will have this facility later.

In other words this is new and if I go from 6mb to 40mb I will be very happy but miffed that I cant be hooked up to a cabinet that's outside my door! ie 150m away.

Advertisement