Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Then the advise for others come Monday is: ask for the speeds of both profiles. The rate adaptive + the high stability.

Imho i would go for high stability, it depends on what upload/download speeds they quote you for each profile.

Do you want 70mbs that wil jump up and down and you might not get the full whack speed 24/7......or go with high stability and get a guaranteed 40mbs down 24/7?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭domeld

Solair wrote: »
    Unlikely. I'd say the DSLAM may have the ability to identify an incompatible and would refuse to handshake or connect you.

Vlan taging, hostname, DHCP60 option - this i what Eircom used in Pilot to identify routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Would something like this router be compatible with Eircom's FTTC? It says it's "vectoring-ready".

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Is there anyone offering no-contract fibre?
    I really dont want to go with a contract after my terrible experience when I switch my BB to Vodafone.

And the line coming into my house is all kinked and hanging outside. It actually looks like its about to snap,
    and sometimes when its really windy you can hear the phone crackling on a call.
    If I go with anyone other than Eircom will they be fixing this line when installing the fttc product.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Is there anyone offering no-contract fibre?
    I really dont want to go with a contract after my terrible experience when I switch my BB to Vodafone.

Magnet offer a no contract service - https://www.magnet.ie/

• Advertisement

Mickalus wrote: »
    Magnet offer a no contract service - https://www.magnet.ie/

Will they fix my line on the install or should I just go with Eircom.
    Was with Vodafone and they kept blaming Eircom on everything but still wouldnt get someone out to fix the line. Wouldnt let me out of the contract either even when the BB went to the dogs. It got so bad I couldnt use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Vodafone seems to be a good offer for folk outside of UPC's coverage. I guess we will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    Will they fix my line on the install or should I just go with Eircom.
    Was with Vodafone and they kept blaming Eircom on everything but still wouldnt get someone out to fix the line. Wouldnt let me out of the contract either even when the BB went to the dogs. It got so bad I couldnt use it.

I would think so. They would want to ensure the line is stable all the way to the ntu (just a few metres from the main door or in the living room space (could be requested to be moved).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There has been a very significant difficulty in getting them to do that though under the current / old regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Solair wrote: »
    There has been a very significant difficulty in getting them to do that though under the current / old regime.

Well hopefully we'll hear some good news after next week or so. They said they wanted people's lines to be squeaky clean with no hiccups up to the point of connecting their new modem.

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    I would think so. They would want to ensure the line is stable all the way to the ntu (just a few metres from the main door or in the living room space (could be requested to be moved).

I think im paranoid because Vodafone couldnt get them to fix my line.
    Worst thing i ever did was go to vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Then the advise for others come Monday is: ask for the speeds of both profiles. The rate adaptive + the high stability.

Imho i would go for high stability, it depends on what upload/download speeds they quote you for each profile.

Do you want 70mbs that wil jump up and down and you might not get the full whack speed 24/7......or go with high stability and get a guaranteed 40mbs down 24/7?

It really depends on the profile settings eircom have settled on for the national rollout. Specifically, whether 'high stability' means using a higher noise margin or more aggressive error handling. If it is the latter, it is at the expense of latency!
    If a gamer, the question I would ask is what the maximum access network delay for each option, is.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all, well here we go again, from what i can see, vodafone`s unlimited fibre package is -limited- to a fair usage policy of 300GB LIMITED in the small print at the very bottom of the web page, :confused: and :mad:

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/?ts=1368921709039

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

apophis wrote: »
    Hi all, well here we go again, from what i can see, vodafone`s unlimited fibre package is -limited- to a fair usage policy of 300GB LIMITED in the small print at the very bottom of the web page, :confused: and :mad:

That's insane! We're currently stuck on the 7.1mb "rural" profile (no sign of shiny new cabinets either :()and go through ~300gb every single month. Sometimes a little bit more than 300gb and we don't spend all day every day torrenting linux distros. Netflix, youtube, iplayer, android games/apps, the odd steam game and yes the odd linux distro, spread among the 5 of us, it all adds up!

The idea that 300gb is a large enough cap for a 50-70mb connection is a joke! I can only hope that they don't intend enforcing this, though the 150gb for €6! addon would suggest they're indeed serious. If that's the case then eircom may actually end up being cheaper for moderate/heavy users.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/?ts=1368921709039

Eircom seem to have changes their policy over the past week or so - "Unlimited means that there are absolutely no limits the amount of data you can download or upload in a month. So you can stream, download, chat, browse and game online with no worries about any usage caps".

On the upside the Vodafone line checker on the above link tells me that I can get up to 70Mb.

Now where is that teckie?:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

How accurate is that line checker on the vodafone website? Stuck on an old non ngb DSL exchange here with current Max speeds of 7MB according to Eircom, but vodafone checker saying I can get up to 24MB :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Will Vodafone be introducing their fibre service on Monday (tomorrow) at the same time as Eircom? Will you have to get an Eircom technician to come to your house and set up your line as well or will Vodafone sort that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

that is a weird statement on VF website ie " Vodafone Simply Broadband Max
    Superfast budget broadband, unlimited usage and nothing else" They must be hoping people will complain and get them free publicity. When you read on it gets even worse ala ... "Speeds of up to 70Mbps are available in Vodafone fibre broadband exchanges only. Speeds of up to 24Mbps are available in Vodafone enhanced broadband exchanges only. " Since when did VF have exchanges?

and notice the contract period = 24 MONTHS = holy cow, this must be a sign system is junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

iPhone. wrote: »
    How accurate is that line checker on the vodafone website? Stuck on an old non ngb DSL exchange here with current Max speeds of 7MB according to Eircom, but vodafone checker saying I can get up to 24MB :confused:

I'd take them checkers with a big pinch of salt. My line can only manage 6mb max but that also says I can get up to 24mb. Did a check on the eircom site a couple of weeks ago and it said I'm eligible for NGB even though my exchange isn't NGB enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

On a side note, does anyone know if eircom will enable ALL exchanges to NGB? I guess fiber will be out of the question for people a couple of miles outside villages and towns in rural areas but hopefully we can at least hope for NGB

• Advertisement

GBCULLEN wrote: »
    that is a weird statement on VF website ie. Since when did VF have exchanges?
    I suppose we all have exchanges now - mine is that dull olive green one 190 meters down the road - the one with the big fat knob - :o
    Seriously though all seems to be fair in love and war, little white embellishments here and there will be all part of the game. Eircom stand to gain big time if they can get as many connected as soon as possible. I actually signed up with Esat BT back in the day when they were able to provide me with my first broadband access - two months ahead of eircom.

I don't like enforced patience...

PeadarB wrote: »
    Eircom seem to have changes their policy over the past week or so - "Unlimited means that there are absolutely no limits the amount of data you can download or upload in a month. So you can stream, download, chat, browse and game online with no worries about any usage caps".

Link??
    Eircom door to door salesman told me their fair usage was 500GB. Couple weeks ago now, so would be nice if they lifted that cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Link??
    Eircom door to door salesman told me their fair usage was 500GB. Couple weeks ago now, so would be nice if they lifted that cap.

You can not believe a word any sales person tells you at your door.

Link??
    It's under the broadband link on the eircom site. It is not qualified, i.e. previously it was asterisked indicating a fair usage limit of 500Gb, no sign of that now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

briggy, each provider will handle the switchover and the technician who calls will be an agent ie may be an Eircom employee or not.

VF have told me if I contact them Monday they can arrange a visit by thursday BUT I think the whole process is too fishy, eg why so late with prices, why the long tie in so I am going to wait. We have waited 10 years so a few more months wont matter at this stage.

And the more worrying aspect is NO ONE has posted from the trial, if there ever was one, so my reckoning it is the early adopters who will be doing the trial. NB sky are keeping very quiet.

gbc-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

iPhone. wrote: »

What they are saying is you can get up to 24mb, it don't say you will get 24mb.Its sneaky sale tactics

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

briggy, each provider will handle the switchover and the technician who calls will be an agent ie may be an Eircom employee or not.

VF have told me if I contact them Monday they can arrange a visit by thursday BUT I think the whole process is too fishy, eg why so late with prices, why the long tie in so I am going to wait. We have waited 10 years so a few more months wont matter at this stage.

And the more worrying aspect is NO ONE has posted from the trial, if there ever was one, so my reckoning it is the early adopters who will be doing the trial. NB sky are keeping very quiet.

gbc-

Wonder if they had to sign a NDA ....

You can not believe a word any sales person tells you at your door.

So true...

Same could be said for random strangers on a public forum :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Since when did VF have exchanges?

Since they bought BT's consumer division?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

So true...

Same could be said for random strangers on a public forum :D:D

I dont believe you.

:D

Advertisement