Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dave1982 wrote: »
    What they are saying is you can get up to 24mb, it don't say you will get 24mb.Its sneaky sale tactics

I rang VF a week or so ago,the 24mb is offered at the price advertised,seems you have to pay more for higher speeds or go onto a different package with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all,
    Here`s a piece i came across in the Irish times dated the 19th of may 2013,

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/eircom-unveils-new-high-speed-network-1.1396089

"Separately, Vodafone announced that it also planned to begin offering fibre-powered broadband services from Monday. The company said speeds would reach up to 70mbps in some areas, and will be offered to 300,000 households initially.
    Consumer director at Vodafone Ireland Marcel de Groot said the company would be offering a range of packages, many of them with no download cap, and had opted to keep things simple for customers. Packages will start from €30 for a standalone broadband line."

so much for that no cap offer.

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

apophis wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Here`s a piece i came across in the Irish times dated the 19th of may 2013,

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/technology/eircom-unveils-new-high-speed-network-1.1396089

"Separately, Vodafone announced that it also planned to begin offering fibre-powered broadband services from Monday. The company said speeds would reach up to 70mbps in some areas, and will be offered to 300,000 households initially.
    Consumer director at Vodafone Ireland Marcel de Groot said the company would be offering a range of packages, many of them with no download cap, and had opted to keep things simple for customers. Packages will start from €30 for a standalone broadband line."

so much for that no cap offer.

it all about the wording
    no download cap V fair usage policy

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Can anyone clarify if they know better.

I'm in an area covered, wired for a landline but it's not active.
    I don't want a landline.

My best options appear to be Eircom for €45 for 50MB, no cap. They appear to force a landline in you.

Or Vodafone for €35 for 'up to 70MB' Broadband only, no cap, but they want you to sign up to 24 month contract to get free installation and modem. Can you 'install' yourself and provide own kit?

Vodafone appears to be better for me, but slightly dodgy and vague terms and conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

apophis its 16th may. and no you cant install fibre yourself.. yet.

and vf did not buy bt consumer division

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

copacetic wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify if they know better.

I'm in an area covered, wired for a landline but it's not active.
    I don't want a landline.

All xDSL requires a phoneline (where x = VDSL,ADSL)

bealtine wrote: »
    All xDSL requires a phoneline (where x = VDSL,ADSL)

Sorry, I thought it would make sense. I have an Eircom 'landline' wallpoint, but I want to activate just the efibre broadband, I have no use for a landline phone service. Eircom don't appear to be offering that but Vodafone are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sorry, I thought it would make sense. I have an Eircom 'landline' wallpoint, but I want to activate just the efibre broadband, I have no use for a landline phone service. Eircom don't appear to be offering that but Vodafone are.

efibre is the marketing name for VDSL, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are asking...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

but you do need a landline whether its for phone OR BB. People always give out about having to pay for line rental but its already built into UPC where you are actually renting their line also.
    If you don't want to rent a landline, then don't get xDSL

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all,
    many thanks to GBCULLEN for spotting my dreadful mistake earlier, no wait it is the 19th of may, but the piece was from the 16th so i was right, it`s a pity only the date was wrong, unfortunately vodafone`s capping strategy has remained.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    but you do need a landline whether its for phone OR BB. People always give out about having to pay for line rental but its already built into UPC where you are actually renting their line also.
    If you don't want to rent a landline, then don't get xDSL

I know I need to plug in to the socket, hence the bloody questions about the different offerings. I don't have UPC and never mentioned line rental at all. I just don't need a landline phone service and don't want to pay the extra for it if possible.

Vodafone appear to be offering 'efibre' broadband only for €35 according to the links above. no voice calls included. The nearest equivalent is Eircom for €45 including voice calls. I simply asked if this was accepted or not.

Now people are saying that they aren't and I would have to pay line rental on top of that? Or is that just people answering wrong question?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

So what time will Eircom be open for calls in the morning? Or will they call people back that had expressed an interest? Dont want to be sitting around if thats not the case!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

dave1982 wrote: »
    What they are saying is you can get up to 24mb, it don't say you will get 24mb.Its sneaky sale tactics

+1....that Vodafone line checker says i can get 24mb at my address, but i'm *on* NGB and i only get 10mb, even though line stats say my line can handle 16mb :mad:

Mc Love wrote: »
    So what time will Eircom be open for calls in the morning? Or will they call people back that had expressed an interest? Dont want to be sitting around if thats not the case!

9pm.....alas i wont be joining the party tomorrow morning, as i am being forcibly evicted from my home of 10 years :( , ergo no point in going for fibre since i wont be here in a few weeks.

And the horrid part is, i have no idea if Eircom or UPC is available at my new address [if i get the place] :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

9pm.....alas i wont be joining the party tomorrow morning, as i am being forcibly evicted from my home of 10 years :( , ergo no point in going for fibre since i wont be here in a few weeks.

And the horrid part is, i have no idea if Eircom or UPC is available at my new address [if i get the place] :(

9am I hope :D

Sorry to hear you are being evicted dude! Hopefully you will find somewhere better

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Now people are saying that they aren't and I would have to pay line rental on top of that? Or is that just people answering wrong question?

line rental is generally built into the price i.e. included. Voice is actually always included because a phone line can do that, just that you must pay for every call you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

TheDriver wrote: »
    line rental is generally built into the price i.e. included. Voice is actually always included because a phone line can do that, just that you must pay for every call you make.

What he's asking for is naked dsl. That isn't available in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Vodafone info is very very vague, and a 24 month contract??? :eek: Eircom have done away with line rental on the fibre packages. (but will still apply if you're NGB) Billing dates will change with eircom if you're on fibre as will cancellation charges if you were to cease early.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

maclek wrote: »
    What he's asking for is naked dsl. That isn't available in Ireland.

As I understood Magnet will offer two packages from tomorrow:

- Naked DSL: No line rental, contract free, up to 70/20, no download cap
    - DSL + phone line: you have to sign for a year or more, up to 70/20, no download cap

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Vodafone info is very very vague, and a 24 month contract??? :eek: Eircom have done away with line rental on the fibre packages. (but will still apply if you're NGB) Billing dates will change with eircom if you're on fibre as will cancellation charges if you were to cease early.

If Eircom have no cap/ fair use policy limit, i think i'll go with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

http://business.eircom.net/efibrebroadband/ - First look at the business end. Most of the links seem to be in the process of updating at the minute. The cost is plus the PSTN charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

From what I can figure out the product comes in two flavours:

1) VDSL+POTS (Dial Tone).
    In this case, your line is still connected back the whole way to the eircom exchange. However, your broadband is being patched in at the local cabinet.

So, you'd have a dial tone + VDSL broadband in much the same configuration as ADSL today.

2) VDSL Broadband Only (No Dial Tone)
    In this case, your line would only be connected to the cabinet, with no path back to the exchange at all.

So, you'd have no dial tone and no analogue service at all. In this case, you could opt to get phone service using VoIP.
    The various ISPs may provide modem/routers with a VoIP port on the back for connecting your phones, much like a UPC cable modem.

Or, you could get your own ATA or VoIP phones and use services such as Blueface etc etc. totally independently of your ISP.

Or, just not have a landline number / POTS service at all and just use your mobile for calls and your landline for broadband only.

PhilMcGee wrote: »
    If Eircom have no cap/ fair use policy limit, i think i'll go with them.

There is no fair usage policy anymore on eircom, this applies to NGB also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Folks,

The folks over on the Vodafone forum can answer any questions on the new packages - you will find it here http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

But to answer some questions that came up...

300GB FUP - no there is no charge for going over the FUP or speed slow down etc
    Naked VDSL is now available from tomorrow - May 20th (This is used for Simply broadband) - there is POTS based broadband (with phone ) and the standalone version
    Contract - 12 / 18 /24 month contracts are all available - not just 24 months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nothing to do with efibre is working on eircom website, are they updating the website or has efibre flopped:D

Seems the eircom website's updating at the moment :

Eircom customers can now migrate to fibre !
    http://www.eircom.net/ngamigrations/nga-migration-flow.htm?execution=e3s1

I assume they'll start processing orders in the morning.

Solair wrote: »
    Seems the eircom website's updating at the moment :

Eircom customers can now migrate to fibre !
    http://www.eircom.net/ngamigrations/nga-migration-flow.htm?execution=e3s1

I assume they'll start processing orders in the morning.

That link has been active for a while now already, they've been sending letters out with a shorter link that redirects. ;)

Oh and the modem being used is called the Zyxel F1000 for anyone wondering.

That link has been active for a while now already, they've been sending letters out with a shorter link that redirects. ;)

That's all they're linking from their homepage now, so I assume there's a new microsite being uploaded in time for tomorrow.

They can probably officially put it up after midnight.

Still no info on the Vodafone fibre modem??

• Advertisement

Still no info on the Vodafone fibre modem??

I've not heard anything about their modem yet, tight lipped.

Advertisement