Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

http://www.eircom.net/fibre/ - All aboard now :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Still no info on the Vodafone fibre modem??

They could possibly all be the same modem if it's done anything like the way OpenReach does it in the UK.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

chriss745 wrote: »
    As I understood Magnet will offer two packages from tomorrow:

- Naked DSL: No line rental, contract free, up to 70/20, no download cap
    - DSL + phone line: you have to sign for a year or more, up to 70/20, no download cap
    Solair wrote: »
    From what I can figure out the product comes in two flavours:

1) VDSL+POTS (Dial Tone).
    In this case, your line is still connected back the whole way to the eircom exchange. However, your broadband is being patched in at the local cabinet.

So, you'd have a dial tone + VDSL broadband in much the same configuration as ADSL today.

2) VDSL Broadband Only (No Dial Tone)
    In this case, your line would only be connected to the cabinet, with no path back to the exchange at all.

So, you'd have no dial tone and no analogue service at all. In this case, you could opt to get phone service using VoIP.
    The various ISPs may provide modem/routers with a VoIP port on the back for connecting your phones, much like a UPC cable modem.

Or, you could get your own ATA or VoIP phones and use services such as Blueface etc etc. totally independently of your ISP.

Or, just not have a landline number / POTS service at all and just use your mobile for calls and your landline for broadband only.
    crawler wrote: »
    Folks,

The folks over on the Vodafone forum can answer any questions on the new packages - you will find it here http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1270

But to answer some questions that came up...

300GB FUP - no there is no charge for going over the FUP or speed slow down etc
    Naked VDSL is now available from tomorrow - May 20th (This is used for Simply broadband) - there is POTS based broadband (with phone ) and the standalone version
    Contract - 12 / 18 /24 month contracts are all available - not just 24 months

Many thanks for these posts from people who know what they are talking about!

Solair, do you think that if Magnet and Vodafone are offering the broadband only/naked DSL product that Eircom will too?

Is it best to wait for the dust to settle to see what best option is?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I got this when I put my details in: Please contact us on 1800 303 644 to discuss all eFibre and broadband options

copacetic wrote: »
    Many thanks for these posts from people who know what they are talking about!

Solair, do you think that if Magnet and Vodafone are offering the broadband only/naked DSL product that Eircom will too?

Is it best to wait for the dust to settle to see what best option is?

As far as I am aware, they all will be doing similar products.
    It's up to the ISPs themselves which ones to pick, but naked VDSL is available from eircom as a wholesale product and they can market it if they wish.

There's a price discount for going for that option too by the looks of it.

From eircom's point of view, naked VDSL would be a rather handy option as it means they don't have to worry about maintaining a line for you the whole way back to the exchange or any services at the old voice exchange at all. You're just a line out to the cabinet, and that's it.

Most of the ISPs, including Eircom Retail, Vodafone, Magnet, Digiweb (Smart) etc will have their pricing details released in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Mc Love wrote: »
    I got this when I put my details in: Please contact us on 1800 303 644 to discuss all eFibre and broadband options

Site isn't ready yet IMO. Information is going up tonight in advance of 9am tomorrow.

Eircom site is down?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah was thinking that!

Site isn't ready yet IMO. Information is going up tonight in advance of 9am tomorrow.

I'd assume they've the site uploaded to the servers already and tested. It's just a matter of switching it on at the appropriate time in the morning.

The real fun will start when people start posting speedtest.net results from Thursday or so onwards as connections start to actually go live in people's houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Currently back home in my mother's in rural Galway. We have a really slow connection, Vodafone giving us upto 3 Mbps. They have emailed us saying, were possible, once Fibre launches they will upgrade our speed if we are not in a fibre area.

Now I can go into the router homepage and the ADSL stats say we have a downstream attainable of approx 11Mbps. Yet, we only get 3Mbps. The Eircom website says we can only get 1 Mbps on the line checker, but we do get usually 2.5 Mbps at the very best. After some searching, I can't find anywhere with information on NGB rollouts considering Eircom are now focused on fibre, but our exchange isn't even listed for that in the forseeable future as far as I can tell. Anyone any reliable sources for what's happening in non-fibre exchanges?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Solair wrote: »
    As far as I am aware, they all will be doing similar products.
    It's up to the ISPs themselves which ones to pick, but naked VDSL is available from eircom as a wholesale product and they can market it if they wish.

There's a price discount for going for that option too by the looks of it.

From eircom's point of view, naked VDSL would be a rather handy option as it means they don't have to worry about maintaining a line for you the whole way back to the exchange or any services at the old voice exchange at all. You're just a line out to the cabinet, and that's it.

Most of the ISPs, including Eircom Retail, Vodafone, Magnet, Digiweb (Smart) etc will have their pricing details released in the morning!

Thanks, €35 a month from Vodafone for 'unlimited' 50MB seems the best so far, I guess people would only have dreamed of that a while back.

Presumably Magnet will compete with that also. Will see what happens tomorrow.

Many thanks again, I'm in a FTTH area, but they wanted to basically tear hallway apart and leave it looking like a server room to install it. This seems like it was worth the wait, half the price for half the speed but no install headaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

vodafone have a Huawei modem, looks similar to the one they use at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 29 crocked77

Does anyone know if UTV will support this?

If I understood correctly eFibre is a VDSL 2 rollout so it's availability should be roughly the same as ADSL or is it tied to the national fibre rollout in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ferpur

crocked77 wrote: »

If I understood correctly eFibre is a VDSL 2 rollout so it's availability should be roughly the same as ADSL or is it tied to the national fibre rollout in some way?

I was with utv they told me they had no plans to go into fibre:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Whoa the website is a mess. Ahahaha! They have 50MB under upload. ROFL! :D
    I'll have that!!

Edit: see attached :P

ferpur wrote: »
    I was with utv they told me they had no plans to go into fibre:confused:

Ok might give them a call tomorrow in any case. They have Fibre in the north but that is real fibre.

From what I've read eFibre is really VDSL2 and not fibre optic cable but to be honest it's already a big improvement.

I see the eircom coverage map is now up but just says coming soon. Anyone have any idea if there is any way to check it it's available at your address other than to call Eircom. The broadband availability seems not to recogise my UAN anymore.

Ok might give them a call tomorrow in any case. They have Fibre in the north but that is real fibre.

From what I've read eFibre is really VDSL2 and not fibre optic cable but to be honest it's already a big improvement.

I see the eircom coverage map is now up but just says coming soon. Anyone have any idea if there is any way to check it it's available at your address other than to call Eircom. The broadband availability seems not to recogise my UAN anymore.

LOL what? There is no real fiber in houses in Ireland. FTTC (Fiber-To-The-Cabinet) is what Eircom is rolling out...yes, that's fiber.

An engineer will need access to your home as they will have to change the Network Terminal Unit (NTU) to wnsure you get the best possible Broadband speed. Any internal wiring will be tracked along skirting boards, and whend necessary some minor holes will be drilled to gain access to another room

Major work inside the property will not be necessary or undertaken. The engineer will wear overshoes, clean up after hime/herself and ensure minum distruption.

Oh jesus they are rushing things. I hope they have it all decent for the morning. :s

This is all under Help and Support [Frequently Asked Questions about eFibre].

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I just signed up there now and ordered a 70 megs offpeak calls bundle.....

BUT now just received an email thanking me for my interest - despite me inputting account details ! Erp !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Starting in june there's a sign up form on their website and facebook page.
    http://www.utvconnect.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/UTVConnect/app_190322544333196

red_bairn wrote: »
    LOL what? There is no real fiber in houses in Ireland. FTTC (Fiber-To-The-Cabinet) is what Eircom is rolling out...yes, that's fiber.

I remember knowing a web designer who had convinced his bosses he needed a T1 line and they were paying for it and that's going back a good few years. It cost a fortune but as he wasn't paying it wasn't an issue for him at least.

More seriously though I meant more that Fibre is available up North and hasn't been available in the republic up until now.

As you say this is done with FTTC (not a fibre optic to each house but to each area / street) but in the case of Efibre is it just Fibre to the exchange or do you think they will they have to install additional cabinets?

I was assuming it would be Fibre to the exchange and VDSL2 from there. I was making that assumption based on this.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32703-now-that-eircoms-vdsl/

If this is the case then it's likely that if the town I'm from has Fibre then it's likely to have this new service provinding the exchange is upgraded.

Fibre pricing is now up for eircom :

http://www.eircom.net/fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Think they have fixed the site sort of now.

Bad thing for me is the checker still says I can't avail of it...just on the outskirts of Castlebar in an estate. Shambles!

Vodafone are cheaper, but if bundling everything together, I reckon eircom is the option to choose especially with TV being released this year.

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Starting in june there's a sign up form on their website and facebook page.
    http://www.utvconnect.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/UTVConnect/app_190322544333196

Thanks I didn't see the link on the home page. Now I just hope I'm in the coverage area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I just don't understand why the checker lists only two houses in my estate. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

LOL!....773 quid for sat broadband install http://www.eircom.net/broadband/satellitebroadband/

Finical wrote: »
    Think they have fixed the site sort of now.

Bad thing for me is the checker still says I can't avail of it...just on the outskirts of Castlebar in an estate. Shambles!

I'm also screwed! :( - where i live now is on the Roaches St. exchange = yay!
    But where i'll be moving to is on Caherdavin exchange which is not live for fibre = nay!

So i'm fecked no matter what, probably December before Caherdavin goes live, and if i stick with DSL there is no guarantee on line stats, my speeds might be worse at the new address :(

• Advertisement

Vodafone are cheaper, but if bundling everything together, I reckon eircom is the option to choose especially with TV being released this year.

The Simply Broadband Max package looks ace!....its "up to" 70mb + a 300Gb cap!....way bette then eircom + 10 quid cheaper!

site changed, now says 20gb cap https://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband/

Advertisement