Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The Simply Broadband Max package looks ace!....its "up to" 70mb + a 300Gb cap!....way bette then eircom + 10 quid cheaper!

site changed, now says 20gb cap https://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband/

That cap's ridiculous!

This package would do the trick though : http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/?ts=1369005147796

Bit pricier but not by much.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The Simply Broadband Max package looks ace!....its "up to" 70mb + a 300Gb cap!....way bette then eircom + 10 quid cheaper!

site changed, now says 20gb cap https://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband/

The simply broadband has 20gb cap for €30 a month.

Simply broadband Max has 300GB fair use and is €35 a month. A fair bit cheaper than Eircom and Eircoms prices all seem to go up after 6 month.

Eircom don't appear to have a broadband only product available as yet, which makes exact comparisons difficult.

copacetic wrote: »
    The simply broadband has 20gb cap for €30 a month.

Simply broadband Max has 300GB fair use and is €35 a month. A fair bit cheaper than Eircom and Eircoms prices all seem to go up after 6 month.

Eircom don't appear to have a broadband only product available as yet, which makes exact comparisons difficult.

I'm not sure that the website provides the full range of products. You can't even get a price for unlimited anytime calls.

I'm also not sure if this 'eTalk' product is some new VoIP thing or if it's just the new name for their phone bundles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

crocked77 wrote: »
    I remember knowing a web designer who had convinced his bosses he needed a T1 line and they were paying for it and that's going back a good few years. It cost a fortune but as he wasn't paying it wasn't an issue for him at least.

More seriously though I meant more that Fibre is available up North and hasn't been available in the republic up until now.

As you say this is done with FTTC (not a fibre optic to each house but to each area / street) but in the case of Efibre is it just Fibre to the exchange or do you think they will they have to install additional cabinets?

I was assuming it would be Fibre to the exchange and VDSL2 from there. I was making that assumption based on this.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32703-now-that-eircoms-vdsl/

If this is the case then it's likely that if the town I'm from has Fibre then it's likely to have this new service provinding the exchange is upgraded.

A large number of exchanges are connected with fibre.
    There are lists of exchanges which are going FTTC and it is users connected to those exchanges who will be receiving "eFibre". The FTTC roll out is in 5 Phases.

Just because an exchange is NGN (connected with fibre to the backbone) does not mean eFibre will be available.
    In fact I am on one such exchange.

No eFibre for me for the foreseeable future ...

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Solair wrote: »
    I'm not sure that the website provides the full range of products. You can't even get a price for unlimited anytime calls.

I'm also not sure if this 'eTalk' product is some new VoIP thing or if it's just the new name for their phone bundles.

eTalk is a new name for their voice offering, still PSTN.

RD that's what I was saying, VF may be cheaper on BB but if you want your mobile and TV later in the year, I'd be signing up with eircom as it works out cheaper or around the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Not working for me - going to try in the morning instead

crocked77 wrote: »
    I remember knowing a web designer who had convinced his bosses he needed a T1 line and they were paying for it and that's going back a good few years. It cost a fortune but as he wasn't paying it wasn't an issue for him at least.

More seriously though I meant more that Fibre is available up North and hasn't been available in the republic up until now.

As you say this is done with FTTC (not a fibre optic to each house but to each area / street) but in the case of Efibre is it just Fibre to the exchange or do you think they will they have to install additional cabinets?

I was assuming it would be Fibre to the exchange and VDSL2 from there. I was making that assumption based on this.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/32703-now-that-eircoms-vdsl/

If this is the case then it's likely that if the town I'm from has Fibre then it's likely to have this new service provinding the exchange is upgraded.

All but a few tiny exchanges are connected by fibre to the core network and that has been the case for a very long time.

There's a new higher capacity all-IP core network 'next generation network' NGN which is connected to most parts of the country by now too and is replacing the older fibre core network.

There's nothing new about fibre in the network itself. That's been there since the 80s

E-Fibre is FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) with VDSL2 to your home. It's very similar to BT Infinity and other services like that elsewhere.

It's putting fibre into the access network and bringing it much closer to end users.

The cabinets are future proofed as they've spare fibres that could be used to rollout fibre to the home at some point too.

Also, there's actually no such thing as T1 lines in Europe, that's a North American system.

European equivalent is E1 which actually gives somewhat faster speeds than T1.
    The North American system was multiples of 24 carriers and the European system was multiples of 32 carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Looks as if Edna got the spake in first. Do ya see Mayo, especially Castlebar.

Has Hettyfield in Cork City dropped off the eircom map ?

Bit odd as I think cabinets are being installed in that area already

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

That download question answered from the eircom site - "We have reduced the amount that you will be charged for exceeding your usage allowance with eFibre. Instead of €2.03 per GB, we are now charging €2.03 for blocks of 10GB usage above your usage cap. For example, if you have eFibre Advanced, then you have a 30GB monthly usage allowance. If you exceed this allowance by 9GB, you will not be charged anything. If you exceed by 10GB you will see a €2.03 charge (€1.65 ex VAT) on your bill for that month.

The maximum you will pay in excess usage in any given month is €20.30 (€16.50 ex VAT). These charges apply to a given calendar month.

Note: This only applies to our entry level eFibre Advanced product, both of our other eFibre products have unlimited usage allowances."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Right so I checked the eircom site to see if I could avail of it in Castlebar. Says my line isn't in a fibre enabled area yet. I'm about at stretch 200 metres from two cabinets. Two houses in the estate do show up on the checker. Does this actually mean they've missed out on the estate?

Like if I ring Eircom I'm guessing they will just try the checker themselves? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NextYearIthink

Well, May 20th has arrived, and nothing has happened....oh well.
    That pretty map now shows Bettystown in a pea green shade, which apparently means activation between "May to June 2013".....so roll on June 30th (2013 I assume), apparently amazing things will be happening then.

Oh, and Eircom sales open at 09:00 this morning, I'd imagine they will be getting a few calls alright

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Not when you start adding the 150GB add on for €6.00 per month.

I think they must be editing the map at the moment as Wellington Road was May-June 13 for a bit now it's July-Dec 13 ... Wonder which is true and Hettyfield reappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

I was just on to Eircom to change package on the fibre and they checked my address and told me that its not available at my area.
    Funny thing is I'm already on it. They gave it to me on their trial a few months ago because I had so many issues with them.
    I think their database is screwed up.
    So the second you call to order establish if they can give you fibre or not before going through the rest of the crap from sales.
    They need to fix their database.
    Next door neighbour is on a call with tem right now in my living room and they say she can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I wonder how reliable that map is - I am surrounded by cabinets, and the map has our house in the 'available now' category, but when I rang Eircom, I was told I would be getting it before the end of the year.

Anyone got a phone call yet?

Called them back there and insisted they check by the number and NOT the address an just like magic I am get it.
    Idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

what kinda speeds are you getting mmagirl?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Dam enniscorthy is listed as sometime by the end of the year

boo-urns!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

Disaster trying to get through to someone at the minute im on my third call and they told me they will have to get someone to call me back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

wexdevil wrote: »
    Dam enniscorthy is listed as sometime by the end of the year

boo-urns!

It could be sooner. They started there ages ago. They give those as estimations.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I've checked the vodafone site (already with them) and they say I can get up to 24mb. Checked the eircom line checker and it gave a bad gateway error. I'm smack bang in the middle of an available now area so will have to wait and see what the story is.

vienne86 wrote: »
    I wonder how reliable that map is - I am surrounded by cabinets, and the map has our house in the 'available now' category, but when I rang Eircom, I was told I would be getting it before the end of the year.

Anyone got a phone call yet?

The cabinets may not be ready to roll yet just because they're physically installed doesn't necessarily mean they've been activated or setup.

Eircom are a joke! Got passed to call agent who said the line isnt upgradable and I said check the area and its upgradable - I'm in the dooradoyle area so am phase one. There is neighbours that showed up on the tracker for gods sake.

Said the system isnt showing it as live!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Mc Love wrote: »
    Eircom are a joke! Got passed to call agent who said the line isnt upgradable and I said check the area and its upgradable - I'm in the dooradoyle area so am phase one. There is neighbours that showed up on the tracker for gods sake.

Ummm ... I get the impression that today might not be a great day to call them!

Mc Love wrote: »

They said a lot of sections of enabled exchanges aren't getting enabled yet.

Give them a few days, there are bound to be teething problems with something this complicated and the call centres are going to be overwhelmed with people ringing up from areas that aren't live yet at all.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Ummm ... I get the impression that today might not be a great day to call them!

Why? We have all been waiting for this day, do they not expect that they will inundated with calls?
    MMAGirl wrote: »
    They said a lot of sections of enabled exchanges aren't getting enabled yet.

Thats just tosh! You expect phase one to be enabled, it even shows on the map that its available
    Solair wrote: »
    Give them a few days, there are bound to be teething problems with something this complicated and the call centres are going to be overwhelmed with people ringing up from areas that aren't live yet at all.

But the fact is I am in a go-live area, yet they said on the call that the exchange isnt enabled - might call back later when I cool off :D :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

got the same problem @mclove , in Dooradoyle which is Phase 1 live, im 200m from a cab , told it would be Dec 2014 before i can get it!

• Advertisement

Langer wrote: »
    got the same problem @mclove , in Dooradoyle which is Phase 1 live, im 200m from a cab , told it would be Dec 2014 before i can get it!

Unbelievable! :eek:

Advertisement