Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

I'm in a similar situation. Under contract with Smart until November. Dont want to switch to Digiweb cause of their high prices. I wonder what it would cost me to just cancel my Smart contract now. Would I have to pay the full 6 months contract?

I asked this, you have to pay a termination fee of four months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

I asked this, you have to pay a termination fee of four months.

That's not too bad. €120. It'd be worth it if I can get a good package from vodafone or magnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all,
    One question i was pondering earlier, do you think will customers who don`t decide to go fibre see a reduction in the price of their "standard" packages.

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Two houses in my estate are listed on the checker. :confused:

WTF does that mean? I know if I ring them they will check if I can get it with the exact same checker? So is the checker the official way to see if you can get it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Wambo

This is a joke. It seems that they don't want to book an appointment at all. Rang them up like 3 times before today to set something up so I can actually get it the day it launches. All they say is they'll get back to me. Which they dont. Now that today comes they say the same thing again that they'll ring me back. Unreal this is. Did anybody even get any appointments booked for the 20th? Seems like they're making people wait as long as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

What a disaster of company. They had 4 additional months to sort things out but still can't launch a product.

I am in phase 1 and was just told I can't get it yet, despite the fact that the housing estate beside me can.

What a mess. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

Neighbour on the other side ran into problems too. We're all on the swords exchange. He tried to order and they said his address wasn't in the database. The neighbour on the other side is in the database.
    Then they told him that even though the swords exchange has gone live today that not all areas on it are gone live.

So the swords exchange could be live but people on certain parts of it still can't get fibre until their cabinets are enabled.
    It's a joke searching on addresses. They should be searching on numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭swoofer

now that is an interesting point but why would one not switch? It looks as if it is cheaper than standard. Its that 24 month thingy that is bugging me.

It seems the cabinet at lispopple cross is not enabled yet either even though Ita on the swords exchange. Or the one at Leah's cross.
    So no efibre for those people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I really don't understand why people are so frustrated by this.

Everyone knew it was based on the cabinet and people have been very good at updating the map with all cabinets that have been changed over.

Call centre staff are always the last to know about anything, regardless of the company they work for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I just don't understand the checker that it lists two houses in my estate. Surely the same cabinet would enable all the houses in the estate. Christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 leigh852

OK after being very patient and taking about 90mins on the phone (mostly on hold) I have managed to order the eFibre upgrade. Happy out but two things are a bit odd.

1 - She said i must wait 10 days before they can get the tech to do the install and gave me the date 5 June which is OK I suppose since i'v waited this long already.

2 Since literally 10 min after the phone call my connection has been dropping every few minutes! Like literally offline more than online. I have always had an amazingly solid connection. Last time I seen it drop was last year sometime! Think is it something they are doing on their side on my account or is the exchange going through a few problems? Very odd all together. However I am lucky I was even able to order with what you fellow boardies are being told by eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is there anyone that does broadband only? Seems all packages include calls, which I wouldn't need

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

After 30 mins on hold I finally got talking to sales and got told that even though the Drogheda(DBC) exchange is enabled, not all areas on the exchange can get it from the start and my area is one of those areas. Why do they bother with coverage maps if they aren't accurate :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is there anyone that does broadband only? Seems all packages include calls, which I wouldn't need

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/home-max/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Thursday for Letterkenny - according to one of the contractors who happened to be hanging around outside the main exchange.
    It's a nightmare getting any info from them. All morning on phone chasing my ar*e.

Finally, very nice girl tells me Letterkenny is good to go and I can get 60Mb down and 20Mb up. It looks as though my existing order ref. is useless. Bounced along again and again and again.. my head is thumping.

Finally - sign up again, 18 month contract, expect a call in the next three days. If the eircom staff are half as frazzled as me God help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

PeadarB wrote: »
    Thursday for Letterkenny - according to one of the contractors who happened to be hanging around outside the main exchange.
    It's a nightmare getting any info from them. All morning on phone chasing my ar*e.

Finally, very nice girl tells me Letterkenny is good to go and I can get 60Mb down and 20Mb up. It looks as though my existing order ref. is useless. Bounced along again and again and again.. my head is thumping.

Finally - sign up again, 18 month contract, expect a call in the next three days. If the eircom staff are half as frazzled as me God help them.
    I'm in the same area. Does the checker confirm that you can get it?

How long will it take to be installed for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

crawler wrote: »
    Ah I knew I saw one somewhere on vodafone
    http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/?ts=1369053639393

PeadarB wrote: »

I'm Letterkenny as well. Linechecker says I can get it, but think will wait a few weeks before ordering

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Ah I knew I saw one somewhere on vodafone
    http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/?ts=1369053639393

I'm Letterkenny as well. Linechecker says I can get it, but think will wait a few weeks before ordering

I'm inclined to just hang on for a while. Suspect they will be snowed under and if I've waited this long, I can wait another few weeks. Dying to get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Shows how flawed their db is when I checked my parents house which is a stones throw (less than 100 metres) from the exchange in Raheen and its saying Your home is not in a fibre-enabled area yet...

haha thats comical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

I'm in a similar situation. Under contract with Smart until November. Dont want to switch to Digiweb cause of their high prices. I wonder what it would cost me to just cancel my Smart contract now. Would I have to pay the full 6 months contract?

No just 6 months line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Called up vodafone and was in the process of getting it (Line checker said i could get up to 24MB, and i'm only 200M away from a cabinet) and then the sales agent tells me that she couldn't complete the order as it's not active in my Area.. I'm in Tralee btw...

I checked my Grandmothers house (about 25 mins away) and she can get up to 70Mb.. This is a pure joke.

I had to sign a new 12 month contract (If it went through) and the Engineer Fee/Modem was Free (as i was a current Home broadband customer)...

Their database seems to be all over the place... Gonna call back in a few days.

btw anyone looking at the second package (45e i think) with unlimited usage, i was told it's actually 300GB per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Finical wrote: »
    I just don't understand the checker that it lists two houses in my estate. Surely the same cabinet would enable all the houses in the estate. Christ!

the checker is a load of b1ollox its says i cant get it yet iam still getting eircom reps at my door (iv had 4 now)telling me that i can get it.
    if two of the houses have it then you will get it as the whole area will be live.
    it will take time tho so i would ring them in a few days and see what the craic it.

any heard from sky i am with them for bband ?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

I've used the line checker and it says I can't get it.

I've also checked the coverage map and I'm well inside the area which is enabled.

I also checked the thing on their site where you type in your address and that said I was good to go as well.

Is anyone else getting this?

I've also checked the coverage map and I'm well inside the area which is enabled.

I also checked the thing on their site where you type in your address and that said I was good to go as well.

Yeah I am getting it like that too - its madness.

usual wait is 90 mins on hold

a tech guy is coming to my house on thursday between 9am-1pm

Is there a talk to Eircom forum here. Maybe they can clear it up.
    But of a joke that they are saying exchanges are live yet people on those very exchanges are ringing up to be told they can't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Is there a link to the coverage map?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

neacy69 wrote: »
    Is there a link to the coverage map?

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

• Advertisement

Map means SFA at this point

EDIT:^^^The eircom team on twitter have told me that the exchange has been upgraded but my area hasnt and a letter will be sent out when it is.

Thats a joke to be honest - because you would think if the exchange is enabled that the area would be live, it seems only some parts are.

Advertisement