Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

Just got the letter spiel same from them. there all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Langer wrote: »
    Just got the letter spiel same from them. there all over the place!

They said to call their sales team for more details!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Langer

Mc Love wrote: »
    They said to call their sales team for more details!

very frustrating. i was actually looking forward to today.
    Does anyone know of anyone who has successfully ordered a Fibre package today?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

I was told my line can get 50mb down and 16mb up. But its wif digiweb and their too expensive. The sales rep said that digiweb could drop their prices by the end of the week to compete wif competition.

Yeah so was I - just called sales there and only had to wait a minute if even that for someone to pick up. He couldnt tell me much other than he didnt know when the area would be enabled and to watch for the leaflet drop.

One of the other posters tajd is getting connected and is on the same exchange (raheen) and another poster on the Limerick forum is in dooradoyle and is getting connected.

:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It could a case of some cabinets being live and others not live.

Possibly but its disappointing if you are told that the area/exchange you are connected will be going live and then find out on the day that indeed is not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Just got a call back from eircom there. Gave him my number he said my house hasn't been enabled yet.

Although when I rang sales earlier the girl said my house could get it! :pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Mc Love wrote: »
    Possibly but its disappointing if you are told that the area/exchange you are connected will be going live and then find out on the day that indeed is not :(

I've posted this on another thread already so apologies for the double post but I was reading an article a couple of months ago in one of the uk mags on the state of bb in UK - and it was stated there thta one of the commonest complaints amongst users was that they were constantly being told that their exchange had been enabled but the relevant cabinet had not yet been connected.

So perhats this well become a major issue in the weeks/months ahead.

I don't know if that's the case either because two houses come up on the checker in my estate. So I presume we'd be connected to the same cabinet as them?

Either way I think the sales people are also using the checker on their site which is a shambles!

• Advertisement

There's definitely an inconsistency with what the checker is saying and what is actually available. There are a number of houses in my neighbourhood that are available for fibre, yet mine isnt.

On the subject of UK BB - was talking to two telecom guys in work who said that BB in London is rural quality poor 2-3mbs

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

In cases like for example here in Mullingar, a large part of the exchange covers rural areas but the 35 or so cabinets are only in the central urban area so these areas are the only ones showing up as being enabled on the line/address check. Theres no chance of it reaching out to the rural areas, but the map shows the entire exchange area as being ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Manc Red wrote: »
    I'm in the same area. Does the checker confirm that you can get it?

How long will it take to be installed for you?
    Checker confirms ok. She said that they would contact me in 3 days to confirm installation. Going on common sense I suspect that I'll be given a day for installation on thursday or friday but I would'nt hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Cork981

Just to clarify, who actually does the installation eircom or the provider you signed up with ?
    Digiweb gave me the impression that they'd be doing the installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

PeadarB wrote: »
    Checker confirms ok. She said that they would contact me in 3 days to confirm installation. Going on common sense I suspect that I'll be given a day for installation on thursday or friday but I would'nt hold my breath.

So you had to ring them up again even though you'd registered on the site previously? Feck it I'll have to call the eejits tomorrow. Right enough the rep that went around did say Thursday for installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Cork981 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, who actually does the installation eircom or the provider you signed up with ?
    Digiweb gave me the impression that they'd be doing the installation.

One of:

• Eircom engineer
    • Sub contracted engineer (KN for example)
    Most resellers don't have their own engineers hence the charge for installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

So you had to ring them up again even though you'd registered on the site previously? Feck it I'll have to call the eejits tomorrow. Right enough the rep that went around did say Thursday for installations.
    Aye Tommy, they could'nt find the reference number they gave me in mid-April when I signed up to 70Mb.
    One of the local eircom lads said the work is contracted out and that they would be doing it on behalf of eircom wholesale. They will be doing all the installs or so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

One of:

• Eircom engineer
    • Sub contracted engineer (KN for example)
    Most resellers don't have their own engineers hence the charge for installation.

Not KN. Spoke to two leading technicians at the 2000th cabinet installation and they said Eircom will do it. I mentioned Sierra, but they said that they aren't involved. :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

contractors will be Sierra and KN, but afaik they have to wear Eircom attire as they'll be representing Eircom wholesale (as will the Eircom techs doing installs)

installs are broken up into two sections, from the cab to the socket, then if needed, from the socket to wherever the modem is to be placed (data extension)

if internals are an issue and require re-wiring, there will be a charge (as was always the case) ... if the customer requires a data extension, some operators will be charging

all installs will be done, for the moment, by Eircom (wholesale i.e. Eircom techs, supplimented by KN and Sierra personnel) with the exception of two or three operators, who either, have their own techs, or are not signed up for Eircom to do the install, although this is being ironed out afaik

re: areas not covered, this was inevitable, first you have to find out if you are working off a cab, if you aren't, no fibre to the cabinet, in some areas, some cabs were not enabled for various reasons, again, you have to check if your cab is enabled, finally, if you are more than 1KM from the cab, for the moment, you may not be offered VDSL services

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Did anyone get an installation date who is NOT an Eircom customer? As I saw in the forum a few of you got a Thursday morning installation appointment and as I understood all of you were an Eircom customer.

I am just asking because Magnet confirmed they ordered for me the installation from Eircom but I haven't got anything today. By the way, did anybody get an installation date at all in Ballincollig?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Just ordered eFibre there online it says they will contact me to arrange a date for them to come out to the house... I wonder how long it will actually take for them to contact me?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭PhilMcGee

Very dissapointed with this whole process.
    Im on an enabled exchange that supposedly went live today.
    Ringing around all the companies all day trying to get on fibre.
    Eventually I was told that my part of the exchange os not enabled.
    So it looks like they have only partially enabled the exchanges. Those of us used to sh1t broadband are going to just have to get used to it. Same old story from Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Can you let us know how it goes? I've been told to wait two weeks to call back (not going to of course). I'm wedged in the middle of a cab and a housing estate as I live on a private road. Funny thing is the housing estate can get it and I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

AidenL wrote: »
    I just signed up there now and ordered a 70 megs offpeak calls bundle.....

BUT now just received an email thanking me for my interest - despite me inputting account details ! Erp !

I checked last night and see above, was able to order.

Today, I checked again, when I enter my number , it says I can't get it.

When I enter the road I live on, it says I can get it.

That section let me go the whole way through the ordering process, so I completed it and got a conformation email to expect a call within 2 weeks?

I assume it won't get processed as the number checker says no - but who knows.....

AidenL wrote: »
    I checked last night and see above, was able to order.

Today, I checked again, when I enter my number , it says I can't get it.

When I enter the road I live on, it says I can get it.

That section let me go the whole way through the ordering process, so I completed it and got a conformation email to expect a call within 2 weeks?

I assume it won't get processed as the number checker says no - but who knows.....

Similar situation here, but my house doesn't appear on the address checker either. However, two houses in the estate do.

So I don't know what's the situation here. Eircoms address database checker being a total mess or the actual cabinet near to me may not be enabled, but then I'm wondering why do two houses in my estate come up on the checker!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

I was told the same, 2-3 days to confirm installation , any one else in the douglas area told this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

got a generic leaftlet in the door today telling me tha eircom fibre is coming to my area soon.

I'm in Arklow which was due for December launch. Hopefully it's ahead of schedule and will launch well before then!

got a generic leaftlet in the door today telling me tha eircom fibre is coming to my area soon.

I'm in Arklow which was due for December launch. Hopefully it's ahead of schedule and will launch well before then!

Hmm, that's a good sign. I think one of the other forum members from Newtownmountkennedy also got a leaflet through the door.

Cork was getting leaflets a month ago. But are those people capable of getting a live connection by Thursday? All the details won't show up until then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

red_bairn wrote: »
    Not KN. Spoke to two leading technicians at the 2000th cabinet installation and they said Eircom will do it. I mentioned Sierra, but they said that they aren't involved. :s

I spoke to an eircom engineer here in Drogheda and he confirmed it's all KN up here.

• Advertisement

I spoke to an eircom engineer here in Drogheda and he confirmed it's all KN up here.

Yeah Arctan said above. So I guess they are only processing orders today and installations begin Thursday. :confused:

Advertisement