Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

gordonnet wrote: »
    I was told the same, 2-3 days to confirm installation , any one else in the douglas area told this ?
    chriss745 wrote: »
    Did anyone get an installation date who is NOT an Eircom customer? As I saw in the forum a few of you got a Thursday morning installation appointment and as I understood all of you were an Eircom customer.

I'm in Douglas and with Vodafone have an appointment on Thursday for installation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I'm well inside the green shaded area on the map in Castlebar, but the address checker says my line isn't enabled.

Does that simply mean that the cabinet I'm connected to hasn't been set up or is the checker just messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Finical wrote: »
    I'm well inside the green shaded area on the map in Castlebar, but the address checker says my line isn't enabled.

Does that simply mean that the cabinet I'm connected to hasn't been set up or is the checker just messed up.

your guess is a good as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Finical wrote: »

2 things I would try:
    1. Use phone number instead of address to check
    2. Ring them to confirm, and get them to check using phone number

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭CraigSmith_IO

Wouldn't worry too much if you're in an area but aren't on the checker right now. They're using a new system which did go down today at around 4/5 so just keep trying, and if not leave your details and you'll be called back anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Ok, question - is a fibre cable greenish light grey ?

May sound like an odd question, but if thats the colour it is, I might have spotted something unusual.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

AidenL wrote: »
    Ok, question - is a fibre cable greenish light grey ?

May sound like an odd question, but if thats the colour it is, I might have spotted something unusual.....

...maybe... :D

South%20Dublin%20Fibre%20Pilot.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

It would be funny if you saw squashed dog shit and a boot print on it in the grass beside that thing that blows fiber through the ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

red_bairn wrote: »
    ...maybe... :D

South%20Dublin%20Fibre%20Pilot.jpg

Well thats definitive proof !

Ok, I saw a length of what looks like that running through a field near my house where KN and eircom and ESB have been digging and erecting new poles recently.

Wonder could the be going to run that overhead? My road is a strip development , rural - sound feasible? I should have taken pics.....

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

On the coverage map I'm well within the "live" area. I checked the line checker and put in my phone number and it said I'm not enabled.

So I sent a Tweet to eircom who got back to me and asked for my details, they then said the cabinet was enabled yet.

This is what I got back:
    EIRCOM:
    Hi, I have checked your line and I'm afraid that your address is not capable for Fibre as of yet. The exchange has been enabled so it is a matter of waiting now, we will inform you when it has been upgraded. Sorry for the misleading information on our website, we have passed this on. Sorry for any inconvenienced caused. Thanks Tracey

ME:
    Do U have any idea when it will be available?

EIRCOM:
    We have no information as yet but the site will be updated - http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/ Mark

ME:
    According to that map in well inside the area which can avail of fibre

EIRCOM:
    Hi, the map is an indicator of the planned areas which is why the line check is there. I am afraid the cabinet is not connected as yet.

I'm not sure why they say everywhere is enabled and live, yet most of it appears not be enabled yet. And they can offer no clue as to when it will be live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It would be funny if you saw squashed dog shit and a boot print on it in the grass beside that thing that blows fiber through the ducks.

I feel sorry for the poor ducks ..... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Hi,
    I believe my cab is about 400m away but a new cab was put in beside a new estate a few years ago which is only about 25m away from me. Can I request(at a cost I understand) to be connected to the nearer cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I see you cant go through the order process on their website without using direct debit. What the hell was wrong with just paying via post office or via visa card like myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

They're using a new system which did go down today at around 4/5 so just keep trying, and if not leave your details and you'll be called back anyway.

Are you a spokesperson for Eircom?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

For anyone thats on digiweb or smart, and hasnt upgraded yet because its too expensive. Can u send them an email telling them its too expensive and we want the price down. Multiple
    emails mite just make the realise that it is tooo dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Still waiting on Vodafone call back as it was a 10 minute wait on hold yesterday and I could not be bothered waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

GIMickey wrote: »
    For anyone thats on digiweb or smart, and hasnt upgraded yet because its too expensive. Can u send them an email telling them its too expensive and we want the price down. Multiple

They will have to bring their fibre price structure in line or they will lose all their Smart customers to other operators when their contracts are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

GIMickey wrote: »

Hard to guess what the motivation for their high prices is. Maybe they don't want people switching over just yet and they intend to lower there prices in the future.

Maybe they're looking to consolidate their customer base and aren't looking to steal customers from other providers, perhaps even hoping to offload some of their heavy use customers. It stands to reason that heavy downloaders would jump ship for higher speeds at a lower price.

Maybe they don't want all their Metro customers switching to dsl, which would cost them more to provide (i'm just speculating here), now that it offers download speeds comparable to metro without the restrictive cap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They will have to bring their fibre price structure in line or they will lose all their Smart customers to other operators when their contracts are up.

What prices are they quoting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

brav wrote: »
    I'm in Douglas and with Vodafone have an appointment on Thursday for installation

Thanks, I hope I will get an installation date very soon in Ballincollig, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

On the coverage map I'm well within the "live" area. I checked the line checker and put in my phone number and it said I'm not enabled.

So I sent a Tweet to eircom who got back to me and asked for my details, they then said the cabinet was enabled yet.

This is what I got back:
    EIRCOM:
    Hi, I have checked your line and I'm afraid that your address is not capable for Fibre as of yet. The exchange has been enabled so it is a matter of waiting now, we will inform you when it has been upgraded. Sorry for the misleading information on our website, we have passed this on. Sorry for any inconvenienced caused. Thanks Tracey

ME:
    Do U have any idea when it will be available?

EIRCOM:
    We have no information as yet but the site will be updated - http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/ Mark

ME:
    According to that map in well inside the area which can avail of fibre

EIRCOM:
    Hi, the map is an indicator of the planned areas which is why the line check is there. I am afraid the cabinet is not connected as yet.

I'm not sure why they say everywhere is enabled and live, yet most of it appears not be enabled yet. And they can offer no clue as to when it will be live

Got the same spiel from them, highly frustrating! As Philmcgee said above looks like us that suffer poor Internet speeds are stuck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all,
    following is a web chat exchange i had with smart telecom this morning, with a nice guy, Mark.

Please wait for a site operator to respond...
    If you do not want to wait, please click here to leave us a message.
    Operator Mark has joined the chat.

"Mark09:01:24
    Hello, how may I help you?

Visitor09:02:08
    Hi mark, i was wondering what smart telecom are putting in place as regards the launch of fibre BB

Mark09:02:31
    yes it has been launched in certain areas

09:02:43
    Do you want me to email you the package details?

Visitor09:03:10
    and could i ask you what are the packages for BB only and at what prices

Mark09:03:31
    €39.95 for bb only

Visitor09:04:26
    and finally mark what cap and speeds are we talking about, i live in sligo and i am on the rathedmund exchange

Mark09:05:30
    upto 70mb download speeds and upto 20mb upload speeds and that package has 70GB of traffic

Visitor09:06:29 wow, i am on a cap of 350 GB now, so that would be useless to me, what prices for caps in my range

Mark09:07:12
    There is also a 200GB and 500GB package limit for €54.95 and €79.95 per month

Visitor09:08:44
    no, thats way way to expensive, vodafone are offering 300GB for 32 euro and that seems a reasonable price to me, will your prices be coming down

Mark09:09:48
    I would say we will be introducing some special offers this week or next for current customers anyway

Visitor09:12:04
    Ok i will hold a week or so, vodafone are also offering an add on of 150GB for 6 euro, making it a total of 450GB for 38 euro, and just to give you a heads up, its all over boards.ie about how expensive smart and digiweb are, just to let you know

Mark09:12:18
    ok thanks for the feedback

Visitor09:12:57
    ok thanks mark, at least you gave me something to think about, thanks again,

09:14:45
    thanks mark goodbye

Mark09:15:09
    thanks for your time"

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

gazzamc wrote: »
    Called up vodafone .......

btw anyone looking at the second package (45e i think) with unlimited usage, i was told it's actually 300GB per month.
    Vodaphone are quite clear that 'fair usage' applies, so limit is 300GB.

In my case, they started charging when I went above (but limited the charge to €20/month) so I left them.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

That`s interesting,
    Look at the 8th post down here,

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056951902

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

vf darren is .... seen a few posts by him. In fact its a bit embarassing when its obivious he has not seen the VF website and worse he has not even bothered to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

apophis wrote: »
    That`s interesting,

It's fair usage, at the minute they have no plans to charge. But have the option to charge at anytime they see fit. €1 per GB up to a max of €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

apophis wrote: »
    That`s interesting,

Interesting indeed, but it was some while ago, so maybe things have changed.

I was originally with BT on a truly unlimited contract, and got sold to Voldaphone who told me they would stick with those terms. Then they charged my anyway, and when I complained was told well nobody offers truly unlimited. My real compliant was that I had been told one thing and then they went ahead and did something else.

I cancelled my contract and lodged a formal complaint. They refunded the usage charges. Then on the final bill, there was a usage charge for the last month.

I gave up at that point, and I've started giving up in other cases too because from what I've seen this is just how businesses work now. So, I take the small hits because it's just not worth the aggravation.

snap, same happened to me with the BT/VF malarkey and BT pulled a fast one by offering us a discount then sold us to VF. Your right, business is pretty nasty here. VF were rinGing like mad to put people on new 12 month contracts prior to roll out of ribre but .. once burned. VF are marginally better than eircom so cant pack them in.

That unlimited is a total and utter con, they use two ** and hide the 300gb bit. This means they can change the 300gb willy nilly.

still no posting with a speedtest of the new FIBRE???

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Another thing p1ssing me off with their site right now. You put your account number and phone number in the checker and you get this message - 'Please contact us on 1800 303 644 to discuss all eFibre and broadband options'

You then ring them and spend 30+ mins on hold only to be told that you can't get it. If they are turning on areas in a phased basis to keep from being overwhelmed, why bother telling you to ring them if you can't get it. Serious joined up thinking there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I did suggest a long way back that they use a phased basis but....

We should remember that all the other providers were not happy with the planned launch. I read quite a few documents and one item from sky was highly critical of the roll out and sky are doing nothing at the moment. Take it from me the trial is starting now so I am going to bide my time. So dont be too hasty, you could end up with no BB for a while or unreliable stuff.

Advertisement