Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

LOL!....i punched in a wrong number by accident!....looks like John St. in Limerick can get 70mb!

http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/379256392585216

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Vico1612 wrote: »

Yeah, it also functions as a handy rim-block and air-freshener available in pine fresh or new citrus fresh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

None of my lines at work on the Belcamp exchange can get the fibre products yet. Have Eircom actually installed VDSL equipment in the exchanges themselves? There will never be a cabinet beside me or anywhere near me. The exchange is too close!

Then of course, I checked my home line in Balbriggan on Magnets checker and it says I can get the 70 m/bit package. Are they just getting ahead of themselves? On the Eircom rollout map, Balbriggan is supposed to be May-June.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Praetorian wrote: »

Then of course, I checked my home line in Balbriggan on Magnets checker and it says I can get the 70 m/bit package. Are they just getting ahead of themselves? On the Eircom rollout map, Balbriggan is supposed to be May-June.

Same as you , my home phone in Balbriggan comes up with 70Mb on eircom's checker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Praetorian wrote: »
    None of my lines at work on the Belcamp exchange can get the fibre products yet. Have Eircom actually installed VDSL equipment in the exchanges themselves? There will never be a cabinet beside me or anywhere near me. The exchange is too close!

Yeah, according to one of the lads in here, they stated that there would be equipment in the exchange.

Our town is down for July-December but there seem to be loads of cabinets here. The ESB will need to send in their cherrypickers to finish the job.

Edit: Is the bundles page down for anybody on the Eircom site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's 5 cabs in Enniscorthy that have been marked as "Priority",the Eircom lads are working on them now.
    One estate will be waiting a bit longer due to somebody not wanting the cab to go near their house,there's always one 'nimby' who holds things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

Check out Magnet's new website: https://www.magnet.ie/

They offer CONTRACT FREE 70MB/sec naked VDSL service without any download cap for 45 EUR/month. On top of that you can buy Aertv Platinum with 34 TV channels for 3 EUR/month.

48 EUR for TV and 70/20 VDSL naked broadband without contract is unbeatable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Wonder when the cabinets that aren't enabled in exchange areas that have been made active will be upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

zerks wrote: »
    There's 5 cabs in Enniscorthy that have been marked as "Priority",the Eircom lads are working on them now.
    One estate will be waiting a bit longer due to somebody not wanting the cab to go near their house,there's always one 'nimby' who holds things up.

I hope its not my estate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭naughto

Finical wrote: »
    Wonder when the cabinets that aren't enabled in exchange areas that have been made active will be upgraded.
    did you get any of the eircom reps calling to your house??

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    I hope its not my estate!!

If you live in the estate by the 'Tech then you're left waiting,that's the one where they have had to apply for wayleave to put a cab due to the objection.

The 5 cabs that are going live "within a week" are Shingaun,Bridgemeadow,Bellfield (Lidl),St.Johns Villas & one near Teagasc on the Old Dublin Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭phog

LOL!....i punched in a wrong number by accident!....looks like John St. in Limerick can get 70mb!

http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/379256392585216

There's a cab just around the corner from John's St so that wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

If you live in the estate by the 'Tech then you're left waiting,that's the one where they have had to apply for wayleave to put a cab due to the objection.

The 5 cabs that are going live "within a week" are Shingaun,Bridgemeadow,Bellfield (Lidl),St.Johns Villas & one near Teagasc on the Old Dublin Rd.

Could you by any chance map these cabs please?

Details are here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

naughto wrote: »
    did you get any of the eircom reps calling to your house??

Nope although one of them was in the estate going around. He skipped my house and a few others. I'd say he was checking demand to see if it's worth it to upgrade the cabinet outside the estate.

Funny thing is I'd there is at least 4 estates that would be connected to the cabinet!

bealtine wrote: »
    Could you by any chance map these cabs please?

Details are here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Thanks a million

Afaik 3 are already mapped,I'll stick up the others.22 in total due to be installed & work is continuing around the town,I spotted some plinths installed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

Afaik 3 are already mapped,I'll stick up the others.22 in total due to be installed & work is continuing around the town,I spotted some plinths installed already.

Any close to Cooladine??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Apparently of the areas that "launched" yesterday only 40% of those cabinets are actually live :mad:

From what I can see, they're not live until they've a yellow asset ID tag attached.

They're doing some final tweaks to the 40+ cabinets on the Wellington Road exchange in Cork at the moment and when they leave there's ID tag attached with the cabinet's code.

I assume that's the whole system commissioned then and ready to sell services!

I'm not sure what exactly they were doing but they had the PCP cabinet open with all the cabling out on the pavement! So, it's not exactly what you'd call minor work. It looked quite involved!

I would assume once they're assigned an asset ID on the network they're usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

solair, would the tag be on the actual vdsl2 cabinet?? i have 2 near me and I know one is live as I had my line checked but I can see no stickers?? Could eircom say its live even if it was not??? ie take an order and keep you waiting for installation until it is live?

Seems that's how they're doing things in Cork anyway!

The cabinets get commissioned and a fairly prominent ID tag is attached to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

What I can't understand is they were given a few extra months from ComReg to plan and test the lines. Yet they still can't launch it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi all,
    An update from this series of posts on this vodafone forum,

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056951902 earlier on,

the 150GB add on has been removed and one of the Representatives a guy called Darren, posted this statement,

" Anyone moving to the new packages (which are available in both ADSL and VDSL areas) get the same package benefits , i.e. no default charging for exceeding the fair usage policy.
    We're also removing the 150MB add on for the unlimited packages, to make things clearer.

Thanks,
    "

Can any user of their other packages confirm this statement please, if it holds to be true i might strongly consider moving to vodafone fibre, if not true then the search goes on.
    Maybe the power of the consumer is at last making a difference :rolleyes:

apophis :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Solair wrote: »
    From what I can see, they're not live until they've a yellow asset ID tag attached.

They're doing some final tweaks to the 40+ cabinets on the Wellington Road exchange in Cork at the moment and when they leave there's ID tag attached with the cabinet's code.

I assume that's the whole system commissioned then and ready to sell services!

I'm not sure what exactly they were doing but they had the PCP cabinet open with all the cabling out on the pavement! So, it's not exactly what you'd call minor work. It looked quite involved!

I would assume once they're assigned an asset ID on the network they're usable.

Any pictures of the yellow tags? I haven't noticed any activity out our nearest cab so does that mean it hasn't been turned on yet?

An awful lot of people here seem to assume that an exchange going live means that all the cabinets in that exchange area will be live...
    I'll have to sing : say it ain't so

eircom are installing faster cabinets much faster than commissioning.

However owing to a lack of staff in operations they are only commissioning around 100 a month at present ...and losing addresses and database snafus etc, I think there is a shortage of fibre fusion splicers too ( equipment and personnel).

So an exchange going live means nothing of the sort, it means a few cabinets but the other cabinets will be turned on in dribs and drabs later, some perhaps as late as next year. eircom will announce the exchange is live of course. :)

This is well illustrated by the Enniscorthy post above

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

thanks, there are quite a few near me so I will check on my next walkabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

bealtine wrote: »
    eircom are installing faster cabinets much faster than commissioning.

However owing to a lack of staff in operations they are only commissioning around 100 a month at present ...and losing addresses and database snafus etc, I think there is a shortage of fibre fusion splicers too

I heard something from my uncle along those lines. Apparently the Eircom lads can't commission cabinets as fast as the higher ups want them to. There's techs from Donegal town getting shipped over to LK over it and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

you do realise what's involved in commissioning ? and that it's not an easy process ? also that contractors were supposed to help along, but thanks to a few "errors" they were taken off the job

arctan wrote: »
    you do realise what's involved in commissioning ? and that it's not an easy process ? also that contractors were supposed to help along, but thanks to a few "errors" they were taken off the job

Of course it's time consuming, commissioning any thing can be hard but I'm just giving info to all the posters who say "my exchange is live why cant I get VDSL"

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

Manc Red wrote: »
    Any pictures of the yellow tags? I haven't noticed any activity out our nearest cab so does that mean it hasn't been turned on yet?

You can see one in this photo
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/el6puy9icz2kxxf/IMG_1488.JPG

Brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i went with vodafone , simply broadband max , enginner is calling monday after lunch.

Advertisement