Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Great, but Vodafone's broadband-only package is better... or at least I thought it was until I seen this:

http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/services/#SimplyBroadband

Focus your attention on No. 7

14u3ch.png

That doesnt see to take into account the MAX package.
    However i also dont like the following :

10. Existing Customers can migrate to this product but will incur a one off migration charge of €25.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

Scruff wrote: »

10. Existing Customers can migrate to this product but will incur a one off migration charge of €25.

Yeah I noticed there's a max package there today. Didn't see that yesterday. Didn't bother correcting myself because I didn't think anyone seen my post due to it ending up on the bottom of a page during a congested hour on Boards.ie.

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/simply-broadband-max/?ts=1369229374893

The migrating charge will probably work out cheaper in the long run. I'm with Sky and I think I can get out of my contract within the first 9 months, or the after the first 9 months - can't remember which one it is, but I should be able to avoid cancellation charge altogether.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Scruff wrote: »

18 month contract? No excuse for that length - anti competitive and a lifetime for people who are "mobile"

We should start a campaign for shorter contract terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

ian82 wrote: »
    I'm in Ballincollig also, signed up twice on monday just to be sure :) gave my bank details for dd and everything, still no callback for installation :(

One more question, did you sign with Eircom or with which ISP? It looks like Vodafone customers will get the installation first.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

chriss745 wrote: »
    Hmm, so there is no problem with the Ballincollig exchange. So I don't understand why a few guys got appointment while others not.

I'm on the Ballincollig exchange and Vodafone are telling me I can only get up to 24mb & Eircom are saying only up to 50mb. The up to 70mb package is greyed out on the eircom site i.e "Sorry, this package is not currently available at your address"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭irishgeo

dub45 wrote: »
    18 month contract? No excuse for that length - anti competitive and a lifetime for people who are "mobile"

We should start a campaign for shorter contract terms.

12 18 and 24 month are available.

the main difference the install is free if you go 24 month, otherwise fees apply.

neddynasty wrote: »
    I'm on the Ballincollig exchange and Vodafone are telling me I can only get up to 24mb & Eircom are saying only up to 50mb. The up to 70mb package is greyed out on the eircom site i.e "Sorry, this package is not currently available at your address"

Where are you in Ballincollig? Are you far from a VDSL cab?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ash_kay

neddynasty wrote: »

Nah, that checker is definitely hit and miss. A neighbour of mine who is far closer to the cabinet than I am (within 150m maybe) is only getting up to 50Mb on the checker, while at a distance of about 300m from the cabinet it says I can get up to 70Mb. Of course, it could be that the cable takes a crazy route, but I'm not convinced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

lol....Efibre is like the lost city of Atlantis......

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

chriss745 wrote: »
    Where are you in Ballincollig? Are you far from a VDSL cab?
    ash_kay wrote: »
    Nah, that checker is definitely hit and miss.

Yeah I think the checker is nuts. I'm about 400m from 2 new cabinets. There's one on either entrance to my estate. Going to ring them next week and get the upgrade booked. Struggling on 2mb down at the moment. Another frustrating weekend working from home awaits!

• Advertisement

Still no installation date, I am very disappointed. :(

Has anyone got already an installation date at all from Magnet? First I though it is due to my exchange, but at the moment it seems it is due to my ISP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Pics of the Vodafone fibre modem here. posy #5: http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056954601

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

thisNthat wrote: »
    EircomSpeedtest_zpsb893aab4.png

A bit disappointed with the upload tho :D;)

That is just.... :O

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Would those lines not interfere with each other? I remember reading something about having copper lines around your house will interfere with one another.

I think it cause the noise margin to drop and that leads to disconnections.

Hmm. If they are two seperate cables there shouldn't be a problem. I know one place at one time that had 3 dsl lines.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

briggy wrote: »
    That is just.... :O

Ah for god sake. I wish I had that :D

i must do some speedtest before and after shots when i get upgraded.

i booked the half day off, he better show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

JustMac wrote: »
    I signed up with Vodafone but agreed to a 24 month contract so I wouldnt have to pay for Engineer Fee/Modem. I'm already a home broadband customer with Vodafone. (Tralee area). I can't find anywhere on their site or in Terms and Conditions that Engineer Fee/Modem was Free for existing customers. Anyone got any details on it.

I have an engineer calling on Thursday morning. I might wait till after that and give them a call to see if I can reduce it to a 12 month contract.

Any advice?
    gazzamc wrote: »
    I was told that as well and before agreeing to it she checked again and said i didn't need to sign the 24 month contract to get the free installation.

I was talking with VF again today and was told again that I had to sign up for 24 months to get the Modem and Install for free. If anyone has had a similar experience to gazzamc I would appreciate if you could post and let me know. I will probably ring again in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Mr. G wrote: »
    Ah for god sake. I wish I had that :D

Some day Mr. G some day :')

I was talking with VF again today and was told again that I had to sign up for 24 months to get the Modem and Install for free. If anyone has had a similar experience to gazzamc I would appreciate if you could post and let me know. I will probably ring again in the next few days.

Yep i was told the same 24month contract install/modem are free,

i think the install charge was 70 euro otherwise.

i didnt pay anything extra for the upgrade and i am an existing vf customer.

With VF. Modem arrived today. Engineer due to call in the morning.

Does anyone know, after new wall plate install:
    1. Will I have to wait for Fibre to be connected physically at the cabinet or just a configuration change by VF that can be done remotely?

2. Is there any risk that I will be without broadband for a few days while waiting for issue in 1 above to sorted out?

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Yep i was told the same 24month contract install/modem are free,

i think the install charge was 70 euro otherwise.

i didnt pay anything extra for the upgrade and i am an existing vf customer.

Thanks for the reply.

gazzamc said that these charges do not apply for existing VF broadband customers. I tried all the terms and conditions but couldn't find it anywhere.

I don't think the 24 month contract is a dealbreaker for me as I am with VF since they took over from BT and I haven't had any problems. Also I don't expect that competition will drive the price down much below the 37pm that I'm signing up for. Would obviously prefer just the 12 month contract to have the flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

With VF. Modem arrived today. Engineer due to call in the morning.

Does anyone know, after new wall plate install:
    1. Will I have to wait for Fibre to be connected physically at the cabinet or just a configuration change by VF that can be done remotely?

2. Is there any risk that I will be without broadband for a few days while waiting for issue in 1 above to sorted out?

per this link it should just be a few hours

http://support.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?New&Kb=BB&Company={8C5A3413-D734-4C47-9016-F9EBD3B87D94}&t=hintsandtips&problem=efibreinstallation

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Got the call from Eircom at last, getting installed Monday. Gonna be a long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/When-will-eFibre-be-available-in-Letterkenny/td-p/33334

Anyone in Letterkenny get a call from the techs to arrange an installation?

Not looking too good for some people in Letterkenny from the above link!!!

The story now seems to be that not all of the local cabs are enabled. As far as I am aware the cabinets in Letterkenny are sitting ready since before Christmas all around the town.

Or are they just expensive decorations?:confused:

Got the call from Eircom at last, getting installed Monday. Gonna be a long weekend.
    Tommy what part of the town are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When did you order? Like I said above, I just signed up through a rep yesterday evening so no word on when I'll get a call yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

PeadarB wrote: »
    Tommy what part of the town are you in?

Gortlee, a lad literally 20m away from me is getting installed on Friday.
    Had ordered the first time the eFibre page went up, then it went down, then up again, ordered again, then they forgot that order, and when the letter came around and I ordered AGAIN and they seem to have let that fall through as well, then I just went ****it and ordered online yesterday with the Direct Debit details. Its a pitty that bank account is empty atm isn't it Eircom?

Gortlee, a lad literally 20m away from me is getting installed on Friday.
    Had ordered the first time the eFibre page went up, then it went down, then up again, ordered again, then they forgot that order, and when the letter came around and I ordered AGAIN and they seem to have let that fall through as well, then I just went ****it and ordered online yesterday with the Direct Debit details. Its a pitty that bank account is empty atm isn't it Eircom?
    Typical. I went through the same crack here in Ashbrook. Looks as if some of us will just have to stick it out so.:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I was thinking of getting this. Do Eircom still block some sites. I know they block PirateBay and I don't care about that but a mate of mine was telling me he was in another house recently and the filter seemed stricter than his work one. Does that sound correct? Have they published any policy on what they block / allow.

• Advertisement

i was hoping to to watch the championship but if my internet down thats not going to be possible.

Advertisement