Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom eFibre VDSL/FTTC rollout – plans to reach 1.6m premises by mid 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

LFCFan wrote: »
    For years Comreg have been utterly useless at facilitating proper telecoms in Ireland and now when Eircom are finally rolling something out to benefit the consumer, they go and stick their oar in and screw us over yet again. They actually seem to go out of their way to make sure broadband rollout is painfully slow :(

Probably some brown envelopes being handed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Like, totes!
    (shoot me now)

4GB in the space of 9 hours (4pm to 1am), what a joke. You couldn't even download a high-bitrate HD movie without being dropped to 1Mb/s. Even though they exclude Netflix and other popular sites, it's still a joke.

Hell, with those speeds, people might be looking to run some small game servers or even a web server. I know it's not strictly allowed but you know, it's not as though that matters, as a lot of people around the world use their home connections for this purpose. A guy I know in Sweden with FTTH since 2004 has been doing it from his apartment with some dedicated Windows and Linux boxes he has.

Magnet have just spoiled the fun.

Magnet sales told me that the same will be applied to all other ISP's, too. I don't know if I should believe it or not. I asked what is the workaround. If you are a business customer, this policy won't be applied.

I am considering now to switch or to convert myself to a business customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Solair wrote: »
    I just looked at Digiweb's price. If they remain that high, there's no way I'm signing up at that rate drastically higher than any of their competitors !

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/fibre

I'm thinking I might go with eircom VDSL only if that's available. It seems to be listed, but not on the website and then going with Blueface for calls.

We've a second line coming in, so what I might do is setup a new connection on the second line, with no voice and then port the number from the old Smart line over to Blueface.

Can u send them an email and tell them that they r too high. I am blue in the face telling them everyday. At this rate ill go to vodafone and get simple max broadband for 35 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I want proper broadband!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

GIMickey wrote: »
    Can u send them an email and tell them that they r too high. I am blue in the face telling them everyday. At this rate ill go to vodafone and get simple max broadband for 35 euro.

Emailed them yesterday. Sales guy said current prices were the best they could offer. I told I'd be leaving and alot more would follow once fibre is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭chriss745

chriss745 wrote: »
    Magnet sales told me that the same will be applied to all other ISP's, too. I don't know if I should believe it or not. I asked what is the workaround. If you are a business customer, this policy won't be applied.

They told me if I don't want this 4pm-1am 4GB limit, I can be a business customer for 60EUR/month. WTF? That is a completely joke.

Congratulations Magnet, you just lost a customer. I am moving to Eircom, 50/20 unlimited download for 35/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭GIMickey

Emailed them yesterday. Sales guy said current prices were the best they could offer. I told I'd be leaving and alot more would follow once fibre is available.

I told the the same thing. They said they didnt want to lose a customer. The lady also said we have lots upgrading to fibre and have lots of people switching everyday from other isp. At thise prices I find that hard ti believe. Cheapest the cud do my ars.e, every other isp is half their price for unlimited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

chriss745 wrote: »

I wouldn't believe it. Sales people will tell you anything sometimes. They really shouldn't be commenting on other companies' products either.
    This is what happens when you're on commission for every sign-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

allen175 wrote: »
    Don't know where you got your info from, but the e-fibre modem is in fact a dual band wireless N modem. Range is better than the other zyxel modems they released, i would say it is on par with the 2247.
    sorry was talking about the adsl modems they had. Probably should of noticed the thread was about fibre :) my bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 ian82

so heres what i did, i rang eircom directly on 1800 503 303 and didnt mention that i had previously ordered over the internet. I got appointment for the 11th of june :) It seems if you ordered over the net it goes to the engineer and takes longer to get an appointment. I'm in Ballincollig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

returnNull wrote: »
    sorry was talking about the adsl modems they had. Probably should of noticed the thread was about fibre :) my bad

You had some of us worried, but it turns out, Eircom's fiber router may not be so bad.

ian82 wrote: »
    so heres what i did, i rang eircom directly on 1800 503 303 and didnt mention that i had previously ordered over the internet. I got appointment for the 11th of june :) It seems if you ordered over the net it goes to the engineer and takes longer to get an appointment. I'm in Ballincollig

Bear in mind the sales people are competing against the website too :) Every online sale = less commission!

You had some of us worried, but it turns out, Eircom's fiber router may not be so bad.

Don't worry, all routers have their quirks :D I've yet to find *any* router that hasn't had at least one disappointing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

2726485896.png

Posting from my new broadband connection. Was 5 Mbps yesterday.

I've had 3 eircom engineers here since 9am as there was a problem on the line outside which needed to be fixed first.

All sorted now. :D

JustMac wrote: »

I've had 3 eircom engineers here since 9am as there was a problem on the line outside which needed to be fixed first.

Any idea how far away the cabinet is?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

what was the modem you got with efibre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Just off the phone with Vodafone. I've an inactive line in my house that hasn't been used since I moved in since Jan. They found the line but had to some "checks" and they called me back within an hour. Agent proceeded to place an order for me for their Simply Broadband Max. He advised me I had a choice of 12, 18 or 24 month contracts, but it seemed the only advantage to choosing longer contracts was discounted router price, when it's only €30 on the 12 month contract. I choose the 12 month contract as I don't want to be tied down for any longer than I need.

Anyway, he placed the order but no mention of fibre. I asked him then was my area enabled for fibre, as he hadn't mentioned it. He checked and it was. He asked would I prefer fibre and it's obvious that I am. He said there'd be a €40 installation charge, but if I choose an 18 month contract it would be €30 or for 24 month the fee is waived. I still choose 12 month contract, but there was no mention of when an engineer would be out but I'd have service within 15 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

JustMac, thats with VF = wow. You must be the first to post with a genuine speed set up and it looks WOW.

However, if its another shppoeed one...

how far from cabinet are you?

and could you explain what the fault was ie in the house or at the cabinet.

happy happy surfing with those speeds 96% faster than ie???

And do you know what the profile is ie Rate adaptive or stable?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭irishgeo

2726485896.png

if i get that ill be happy.

What router did they supply ?
    & How far are you from the cabinet.

(Just curious!)

• Advertisement

2726485896.png

Hi All,

Was rushing out the door when I posted my speed test.

According to Google Earth I'm 400m from the cabinet. I'm alongside a main(ish) road in Tralee so its pretty direct so that should be fairly accurate. Its a pity that there is actually a cabinet closer, about 240m away, but thats not the one I'm hooked up to. Still not bad.

I'm with Vodafone. I rang Monday and got modem yesterday. Its a HUAWEI HG658c. An eircom engineer came about 9 this morning. It was his first 'live' install. He had a quick look in the house before heading up to the cabinet and connected me up there. That took him about 20-30 mins. He said that each cabinet has 200 connections so it seems to be a first come first served as to who gets them as I'd say there are a lot more than 200 houses in the area.

When he came back he checked the line and it was showing excessive errors. He called some other engineers and 2 more eircom guys showed up. They spent about 2.5 hours looking for the problem and eventually narrowed it down to some old/deteriorated connections under a manhole about half way between my house and the cabinet. They rewired the connections and came back to the house. The work in the house took about 30 mins, rewiring a new connection point etc.

I would say for a newer house without any connection problems I would all be done in less than 2 hours.

Don't know if rate adaptive or stable. If I knew how to check I can let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I'm with Vodafone. I rang Monday and got modem yesterday. Its a HUAWEI HG658c. An eircom engineer came about 9 this morning. It was his first 'live' install. He had a quick look in the house before heading up to the cabinet and connected me up there. That took him about 20-30 mins. He said that each cabinet has 200 connections so it seems to be a first come first served as to who gets them as I'd say there are a lot more than 200 houses in the area.

Well, I won't be telling my neighbours about my area being upgraded in July after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Hi All,

When he came back he checked the line and it was showing excessive errors. He called some other engineers and 2 more eircom guys showed up. They spent about 2.5 hours looking for the problem and eventually narrowed it down to some old/deteriorated connections under a manhole about half way between my house and the cabinet. They rewired the connections and came back to the house. The work in the house took about 30 mins, rewiring a new connection point etc.

Its great to hear they're being so thorough with the lines to make sure everyone gets advertised speeds or as close as possible. Some change from the usual practice!
    I'm hoping to get the same speeds myself but not till Monday... going a bit green here :p
    By the way, if you get some time post some ping cmds to boards.ie, like ping boards.ie -n 20
    What was your ping before the upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

some amount of eircom engineers at the new cabinets today in Ennis. i mapped a few of them and I think there was 3 or 4 eircom guys at every one when i passed on the way to mcdonalds. all at the same time. any ideas what they're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Only two hours or so later, Vodafone emailed me. Engineer's coming out on Tuesday morning. That's quick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

some amount of eircom engineers at the new cabinets today in Ennis. i mapped a few of them and I think there was 3 or 4 eircom guys at every one when i passed on the way to mcdonalds. all at the same time. any ideas what they're doing?

Would love to know myself, where in the Ennis area are you? I'm out the Lahinch road, map says the area is live but my line isn't enabled on the eircom website yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Battleflag wrote: »
    Would love to know myself, where in the Ennis area are you? I'm out the Lahinch road, map says the area is live but my line isn't enabled on the eircom website yet!

parnell street, so town centre. about 50m from new cabinets in 2 directions. are you signed up? i got the phone call from eircom rep 2 months ago changing my contract, i'm just waiting for the phone call from the engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

PeadarB wrote: »
    http://community.eircom.net/t5/Broadband/When-will-eFibre-be-available-in-Letterkenny/td-p/33334

Anyone in Letterkenny get a call from the techs to arrange an installation?

Not looking too good for some people in Letterkenny from the above link!!!

The story now seems to be that not all of the local cabs are enabled. As far as I am aware the cabinets in Letterkenny are sitting ready since before Christmas all around the town.

Or are they just expensive decorations?:confused:

I seen an Eircom van at the Cab outside Wolfe Tone Place this morning (near St Eunans College). It was the first eircom van I have seen since launch.

Haven't seen any activity in the mountain top area. When/if you do get connected, please tell us how it goes. ;)

Its great to hear they're being so thorough with the lines to make sure everyone gets advertised speeds or as close as possible. Some change from the usual practice!
    I'm hoping to get the same speeds myself but not till Monday... going a bit green here :p
    By the way, if you get some time post some ping cmds to boards.ie, like ping boards.ie -n 20
    What was your ping before the upgrade?

2719705773.png

That was a test before the upgrade.

C:\Users\Owner>ping boards.ie -n 20

Pinging boards.ie [89.234.66.108] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=274ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=295ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=256ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=238ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=306ms TTL=59
    Reply from 89.234.66.108: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=59

Ping statistics for 89.234.66.108:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 306ms, Average = 93ms

Out of interest, what can be learned from the ping trace?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Manc Red

Out of interest, what can be learned from the ping trace?

Ping + line quality.

Advertisement